What's wrong with my monitor-Slightly slanted/sloped upper left

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
006-1.jpg

I know this isn't a big problem but it's been bugging me for awhile and I'm wondering if there's anything simple I can do or if I should just live with it. It's a New Astro City FYI.

You'll notice that the picture appears to slope down going from left to right but only in the top region. It's at it's highest by the "E" in Evander, and gradually slopes until the "'s" in Holyfield's.

I tried adjusting the vertical symmetry on the chassis (I believe that was it) and that didn't fix it. I've screwed around with the pincushion and trap till I was blue in the face. There doesn't appear to be the same problem at the bottom of the screen so I don't think rotating the yoke (not that'd I'd even know how to do that) would fix anything, it would just move the problem to the bottom right. Just bugs me seeing any sort of bar or line that goes across the top of the screen because it gives the illusion the screen is slanted.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm anal as fuck, and I can't see what you're talking about. ;)

Any chance you can bring up a test grid so we can see it there?

Also, what monitor is it?

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I guess I wasn't very clear.

It's a New Astro City cabinet with what I believe to be stock tube and chassis in it.

The issue on the picture is that across the top isn't the spacing supposed to be even? There's basically no space above the "E" in Evander and noticeable space above the "'S" in Holyfield's. The spacing should be the same because the letters are on the same line.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Your yoke is on slightly off kilter. You can technically take your hand and move it (VERY slightly) clockwise and counter clockwise and watch the picture turn.... you CAN fix it if you adjust it, but it's a little risky for such a low degree of tilt.

I have no idea what is standard in an astro city. Nanao? Would be best to actually give the model number next time. But, in this scenario, I think the problem is clear. If it bothers you that much, try and move it a bit. See if it fixes your issue. If it does, loosen it, shift it, then make it tight again. Be very careful, however.

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
How dangerous is rotating the yoke? I've read a few articles/threads on it. Do you need to wear gloves?

I'm not really comfortable/experienced working on monitors. But I think I'd know what I'd need to do.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
People have a healthy fear of monitors. Perhaps too healthy. No gloves, just make sure you use your one hand to adjust near the back of the tube on the plastic looking part of the yoke. There are wedges of rubber that sometime come out between the yoke and the tube that cause some rotation like you are seeing. Yours is pretty standard… but I can understand wanting to fix it. First thing I would suggest you do before diving in too deep is twist it slightly while the game is on. Make sure to use a mirror and see if you can (for a slight moment) get your screen perfectly squared up. Look for missing rubber wedges while you are back there. Also, make sure your convergence isn't getting screwed up while doing thi too badly. Fixing one issue just to create another may not be a fair trade off.

Do that first, then tell me what you think. Then we can go fronm there loosening the yoke to reposition it for good (and the better). And BE CAREFULL