S-video question

Brandon St Randy

I was Daigo before that other one, ,
does the type of S-video cables bought REALLY affect the output on the TV?

i got some nice GE s video for the neo, works great, but then i get some cheap ones for my dreamcast and n64 (like 5 bucks, the one i used for my neo was 15)...they only look OK. Guess i should buy top of the line cables?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Forget about Monster Cables for s-video, they're a ripoff. You don't need "top of the line" cables like that. Just pick up some good quality cables, Recoton makes decent gold-plated ones and you can get them at Best Buy (6' or 10' lengths) for roughly $10. Those will work fine.

Yeah, it matters. Cheap cables can get crosstalk, which is like RF interference when you put say an aerial lead near a console RF lead that's plugged in.

Also, some consoles may have poorer S-Video outs - some were built for it and some weren't.

Brandon St Randy

I was Daigo before that other one, ,
thanks..i bought a nice GE one for 15 bucks for my neo. works great, guess i cant get it any better than that. as for my dreamcast, ill probably have to get an official Sega brand one maybe?

Dan Elektro

Morden's Lackey
20 Year Member
I use Monster but that's because I got one free. They are very nice--super shielded, very thick high-quality cable. But I also have El Cheapo off-brand S-video cables that have worked fine. If you don't currently know of any problems with electrical interference around your TV (like wires in the walls that might cause problems etc) then it's probably worth going with the low-end stuff. If for some reason that doesn't work, then think about upgrading. But usually you can't tell the difference between two S-video cables the way you can tell the difference between composite and S...