AES display problem

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
I'm having trouble with my newly acquired AES serial 060771. The problem oocurs when the image is too bright and when there's a flashing effect. For example, but not limited to:

1. In the opening of KoF 98, the image will tear when showing Kyo's hand with white background.
2. Same game, same sequence, the image will go blank for a split second when Kyo's grasp the flame on his fist.
3. KoF 98 and 99, everytime performing a super move the image will go blank for a split second.
4. There seems to be slight shadowing effect on whatever game I run, causing a little bit of blurriness but nothing too major.
5. Image is dark, almost as dark as RGB modded N64 without amp.

Here's a rundown of my connection:

Power - Official AES AC adapter running through stepdown
Cart - Original cart
Display - RGB > XRGB2/3> Dell CRT monitor/Plasma TV/LCD monitor

Running other consoles/superguns with the same set up never given me any problem before. I remember I read somewhere about the blanking on flashing effect but that was on PS2 and can't seem to find it anymore. Any clue what went wrong? Thanks.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Swap the 100uf cap with a 470uf cap for the composite video and RGB lines.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
It only really matters on composite (or sync if you use RGB); the actual RGB lines aren't affected since they don't carry low-frequency components.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It only really matters on composite (or sync if you use RGB); the actual RGB lines aren't affected since they don't carry low-frequency components.

I usually just put them to what Sony recommends.

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
I'm a bit lost here.. so can I just add the cap to the cable? It makes me wonder, what went wrong? Is it my connection, or the AES itself?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Replace the cap inside the Neo for the composite out.

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
I have tested the AES with XRGB2 and seems to eliminate the problems with flashing screen, however the color bleeding is as bad as using composite. I have checked the board revision and it is 3-4. Is this normal? I found from gamesx.com that my AES batch have "C" grade RGB, but I never thought it could be this bad. Sorry I'm not convinced with my soldering skills to replace the cap :P

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That gamesx article is so incorrect don't believe it. Did you replace the caps for the rgb lines, too?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
No, I haven't done anything to it as I'm worried I could destroy anything, especially since we are dealing with caps here :(

I have read your guide and you mentioned there are 2 ways in dealing with this, external and internal, right? Any tips on how to deal with it externally? Thanks.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Externally is using an external encoder, but the output is only as good as the signal coming from the console. Change the caps to 470uf and the resistors to 75ohm.

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
Looks like I have no choice but to DIY. Just to confirm, do I need to replace the 4 caps RGB + sync or just the sync will do? If just the sync alone I don't need to replace any resistor right? Thanks.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can try just the sync first.