Wiring a headphone jack w/ no MV IC

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I wanted to wire up a ghetto headphone jack on my MV1 real quick, except I had a question. I only have one speaker in the cab so the board is set to mono. Is it possible to output stereo via the headphone jack and still mono from the speaker? I assumed the 2 were independant but I wanted to make sure I didn't short anything out or something.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Could wire up your cab from the headpghone jack but only wire L or R audio to your speaker.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Could wire up your cab from the headpghone jack but only wire L or R audio to your speaker.

Yep, that's exactly what I ended up trying. The stereo works fine from the headphone connector with the switch still on mono. :)

I'll post a pic of it in a sec for future reference.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I have an MV-1F which is pretty similar. I have not tested the headphone connector, but I did solder two composite audio jacks to the speaker connector on the board and have my speakers in my generic jamma cab running from that in stereo.

I would also assume that the headphone jack would run indepedently of your stereo/mono switch, kind of how the original Sega Genesis models worked where they only had mono out from the back, but you could get stereo from the headphone jack. Just my two cents.

EDIT: Wow, I took too long to get my reply in. :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
On my MV-1F I'm running headphone audio, the stereo/mono switch is if you're pulling audio from the JAMMA. It makes no difference when switched running off the headphone jack. Pretty useful if you change cabs and pull audio from the JAMMA.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Yeah, so I cut a floppy drive power connector off an old dead power supply. If you look at the headphone connector with the pins pointing toward you, the left one is the right channel audio and the right pin is the left. The 2 middle ones you can twist together and attach to a single wire.

DSCF0345.jpg

DSCF0346.jpg

I mounted the headphone jack on the underside of the control panel, where it would go unnoticed.

DSCF0347.jpg

DSCF0349.jpg

Whenever I get an MV IC, I'll just cover up the hole.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looking good! those 4 pin floppy connectors are great for that.