Think its safe to use three stepdown converters in one outlet?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm getting my Sharp X68000 soon and I wanted to know if its safe to use three of those things (220V -> 110V) in one plugbar? (Monitor, the machine itself and the speakers, although I'm not sure if the speakers need a extra power supply?) Some sources claim the X68k needs 100V exactly, but as far as I know the japanese net is fluctuating between 100 and 110V anyway so a 110V converter should be okay? The converters have surge protection.

Last edited:

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
A wall socket can handle around 3000watt so I dont think you ought to worry

Where are you located? Europe? (220V?)

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
To elaborate on what XX said, check the amperage rating on that breaker first, hopefully it's enough to power everything, since current is additive in a parallel circuit (which your wall outlet should be), add all the amperages of every piece of electronic connected to that wall socket (look at each power supply plugged into your surge protector), usually one breaker controlls several different wall outlets so you would have to add those too. (Note if the PS says 115 V 5A it does not necassarily mean that that particular power supply will draw that much but usually on startup of equipment it is usually the amount needed to power on the equipment.) Then check the breaker or fuse amperage rating that controls those/that wall outlet. If there is to much of a current draw then you will definetly trip the breaker or blow the fuse but if you all your components are plugged into a surge protector and (pretty sure) your surge protector has an inline fuse (common) then you should be fine from damage to your equipment as your surge protector will take the grunt of everything. Your surge protector should suffice but definitely check to make sure you are not drawing to much current rated for that breaker.

With what DD said, I am assuming you are in the states and all the equipment you need to supply power to is rated at 220v, correct? In this case you would need a step up transformer (115v-->220v), or if you are somewhere that utilizes 220v and your equipment is rated at 115v then you would need a step down transformer (220v-->115v). Either way let us know.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
No I'm in Germany. Never had any problems with the breakers here, vacuum, PC and big ol' LCD television running at the same time, I think they pull more power than the X68k. The X68k is rated 100V but there are no step down converters available who do exactly 100V - 220V, just 110V - 220V. According to another site 110V should be fine as the japanese net fluctuates between 100 and 110V anyways.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
For the record: Everything went fine. I only need two converters because the speakers get their power from the monitor.

Now I just need to buy a working keyboard... :oh_no:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
For the US at least, the average household circuit is 1650 watts. That's 110 volts times 15 amps.

So if your in the US, as long as your under 1650 watts, I don't see any harm in your setup