Replacing the Neo Geo cab power switch... cab now DEAD? FIXED!

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
I'm pretty much a idiotic newb and as I was attempting to replace the old internal power flip switch to a new one, and after connecting all the wires and flipping the switch to test there was a audible click internally in the cab, but then nothing happened. So I replaced all the wires back on to the old switch and now nothing powers up. I obviously screwed something up big time (perhaps reversed the wires on the new switch?).

I checked the fuse by the switch and it looks whole and undamaged. is there another fuse somewhere to check? What's my next step? How do I determine what was damaged and needs replacing/resetting?

Please advise, thanks in advance

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Depends on what type of power supply you have, but many of them have an internal fuse. You'd have to open up the casing to check (when it's unplugged of course).

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
the power supply says "U-San Electron Co., Ltd. : Peter Chou Model: UP-200PS1", I opened it up and pulled out the fuse and it looks intact (5amp 250v) but what do I know, I'll replace it

is there any other fuses/issues I should look for? I checked the fuse by the front power switch and it looks fine too. Is there anything else I should check?

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
Take a pic of the old and new switch.

While waiting for a reply, I decided to return the new switch to Radio Shack and just want the old switch to work again so I can't take a pic of the new one. But the old switch is the generic silver switch that comes in the cab and is attached atop the rectangular container above the coin collection area, it has the test and credit buttons and the fuse on the left

If you think it will help, I'll take a pic of it

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Since parts always vary, take a pic of the wiring on the switch.

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
I'll up an image of the wiring in my next post

here's an update, I swapped out the fuse in the power supply for a fresh new fuse and there's no change in the cab, it's still dead

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Check to see if you are even getting input pwr? If you are then maybe try replacing PS :snack:

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
Final Update: in preparing to take a pic to post here, I discovered the problem: one of the power switch's wires had become pulled out and separated from it's end connector, but this was still annoyingly concealed within the old, protective sleeve that covers the connector and wire (forgive my ignorance, I'm sure all these parts have names known to you guys, I'm just using descriptive nomenclature.) After removing the the sleeve, then prying open the end of the connector, then inserting and reattaching the wire to the end of the connector with some needle nose pliers, I reconnecting everything and it all worked again beautifully.

My thanks yet again to all of you helpful members of this community.