Internal stereo audio mod help

yuji

n00b
Hi, I am a noobie here, and this is my first post.
Sorry that my first post is a question, but I am very desperate and need some help.

I have a 1st gen AES that I am trying to do an internal stereo audio mod for RGB.
I've already made the RGB cable, and have tried cutting some resistors off for pin 1 and 3, and connect cables from the headphone jack area which was shown on the Jamma Nation tutorial.

The problem I am facing, is that I probably cut the wrong resistor.
I thought I cut the resistor connected to pin 1, but after that, I still get mono audio....

Another problem is that anywhere I connect the cable shown on Jamma Nation tut, doesn't give me audio. So I assume something is different in between the 1st gen and other AES models.

If someone would help me out here I would be very happy.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Yuji

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Are you trying to get stereo sound from the AV jack?

yuji

n00b
Yes, I don't need composite, so I'm trying to cut the trace or resistor for that pin and add audio to that pin, but can't find the right place...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Instead of cutting the pin just remove the ferrite bead or cap/resistor right before the AV socket the break the connection. If you don't have a multimeter I would suggest getting one.

yuji

n00b
OK, I will do that thanks!
Any information about where I could get audio from?
Is the 1st gen same as other revisions in terms of the place I can get stereo audio from??

yuji

n00b
I was such an idiot!
It turned out that the TV I just bought had the audio balance all the way to the right, thus making all the sound mono.
Internally 1st gen and other audio circuits should be the same :)

yuji

n00b
Sorry for bringing this thread back up again, but I need a bit more help.
I successfully modded my AES to get stereo audio, but the sound level is very low.
It seems as if the place I soldered my wires was before the signals went through an amp or something...
The volume slider for the headphone jack changes nothing since I soldered my wires to the constant volume pins labled as A and B on the Jamma Nation tutorial.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

yuji

n00b
OK, I was hoping to get a decent sound from the constant line, but if thats not possible, then I'll live with the adjustable line. Thanks for your help Xian Xi :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The constant level I get good sound on my CRT but I noticed that on LCDs(Panasonic, Samsung and Vizio) it's too low.

yuji

n00b
Hmmm, thats interesting because I'm using an old Sony CRT TV (from 2003)
I generally use the CRT with the sound level at around 20, but for the NeoGeo I need about 40...
I've also got XRGB3 and a LCD, so maybe I'll give it a try and give some feedback.
Anyways thanks again for all the help :D

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7499/neoaesaudiocircuit.jpg

You're tapping stereo from the segment in between the 1K headphone volume slider and the 6.8K resistors. It would be a little louder from the segment in between the 6.8K resistors and pins 24A/24B of the cart slot but still not optimal. Note that the mono signal is in fact amplified by the Q1 transistor.

For a proper stereo mod you would need to undo the mono merger and build another identical amp circuit for the other channel:

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1520/neoaesstereomod.jpg

yuji

n00b
Whoa! now thats a mod beyond my hands, but great information there MKL!
Oh, and I love your signature :buttrock: