How to spot MVS bootlegs on the eBay?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's full of MVS auction down there, and sometimes nice deals may pop up... but waht about the bootleg risk?

Especially whn buying bare carts...

Any help would be higly appreciated.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Well I personally have found out that if someone lists a MVS cart as a "cassette" it's probably a boot. frown

Shiftyfink

Geese's Thug
If it doesn't say its original it probably isn't. Read everything VERY carefully. Sometimes phrases like "100% Working" are misleading. If all else fails, Email the seller and ask. Super Dodgeball, Bust A Move Again, Bust A Move, Mr Do, Neo Drift Out, Neo Turf Masters... High Bootleg posibility. Blazing Star, any Samuria Shodown, Metal Slug X, or 2 are usually originals.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Original stuff in my only way. buttrock

<small>[ February 20, 2003, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Shito ]</small>

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Mysteriozone:
Do bootlegs work right on a MVS system?
They MIGHT work, and even if they do they can "wear out" much faster than a normal MVS cartridge because of sloppy soldering, etc. Also, bootlegs will NOT work on a Phantom1 converter, actually that's how I found out my RotD I originally bought off eBay was a bootleg.

Codeman1

B. Jenet's Firstmate
If it has pictures then check the label to see if it is an original label, if it has a serial number, etc.
However some of the older games have no serial number at all and original games might also have fake/re-printed labels.(some operators make these labels to replace damaged labels or japanese labels)

Also some later carts come with specific color cart shells.
For example: Jap Garou MotW comes with green-shell, English Garou MotW comes with transparent-shell. So if you see a green-shell Garou with an english label most likely it will be a boot.

Also try asking the seller if the item in the picture is the actual item he is selling, as some seller use recycled pictures.

If it's a full and complete kit being sold then it should be orignal, I never saw a bootleg kit!