Neo memory cards with a MV-1B

DavidG

I've seen a few post now that have asked for this to be done. I had a full day off today due to a lot of snow paying a visit and I spent most of it on this project. Over all I would have to say I am 70% done before I can make a prototype to test with the MV-1B.

I'm not sure if this is fully possible yet, I don't think I will know until the very end. Based on the work I have done so far its looking very good. By Sunday I should know if this will work and will move towards a working prototype.

In the converter post we touched on the idea of having sram for saves stored on a converter. Before today I didn't think it would work but after todays work that might be possible.

Due to the size of the MV-1B space is going to be the issue. Perhaps we can combine a few projects into one and get a single board that adds a DIP socket for the unibios and selectable on board memory NTM had done.

DavidG

The mv-1c is one if the few boards I don't have so for now it's 1b only.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Awesome man! I had rigged up a memory card adapter to the bios socket on a 1B for fun to somewhat mimic how the CD backup sram is connected, but never really went anywhere with it.

V2 of the memory card is almost finished. Waiting to get the blank PCBs in. Should be available in a few weeks.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I've seen a few post now that have asked for this to be done. I had a full day off today due to a lot of snow paying a visit and I spent most of it on this project. Over all I would have to say I am 70% done before I can make a prototype to test with the MV-1B.

I'm not sure if this is fully possible yet, I don't think I will know until the very end. Based on the work I have done so far its looking very good. By Sunday I should know if this will work and will move towards a working prototype.

In the converter post we touched on the idea of having sram for saves stored on a converter. Before today I didn't think it would work but after todays work that might be possible.

Due to the size of the MV-1B space is going to be the issue. Perhaps we can combine a few projects into one and get a single board that adds a DIP socket for the unibios and selectable on board memory NTM had done.

Interesting!

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I came pretty close to adding card reader support to the MV-1C myself. I came to an impasse when it was time to figure out where the control signals are hooked up (/OE, /CE, /WR, /CD1, /CD2, etc). You may run into similar troubles when you get to that point. Most of the points that go to the card reader are pretty straight forward; address and data lines from the cpu with bus buffer intermediates.

DavidG

Thats really the only issue left to be resolved. We don't have any documents to help with this or any info on the main chip used on the 1B. For those with a 1C is the main chip also a GRC2?

I have most of the GRC2 covered and have a very good idea where the pins we need are but sadly its going to come down to trial and error in the end. I have a few tricks left - just need a solid day or so more to hammer this out.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
DavidG -- these are great discussions (this and the Pranslator mods) and are neo tech related so I moved them over here to tech so that they don't get lost in the sea of general discussions.

Jeff