Odd problem with a 1 slot MVS mobo - any help appreciated!

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Hi all,
My 1 slot is sick and I am not sure what to do next to troubleshoot. The problem is sort of an odd one:

It was playing fine a few weeks ago, but when I went to use it a few days ago I noticed something strange. The controller and button inputs for player 1 do not register correctly. However, the symptoms are different from game to game and within each game.

For example, I am playing Samsho 3 and player 1 cannot register any inputs on the character select screen. However, once the character select screen is bypassed all inputs register correctly.
When I try Samsho 4 the first player inputs are on "auto fire" in the game itself, registering repeated presses of the button when it is only held down.
This auto fire symptom is also seen when playing windjammers, however it is present all throughout the game and select screens.

In the MVS input test menu all buttons function correctly. It is only when in a game.

I have a unibios installed; unfortunately, I don't have an original bios to test and compare.

Any input is appreciated.

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm wondering if you could take a pic of your board and also where you bought it from? Has it always had this problem? I'm far from being a tech person but I had a similar problem.

I ask because my 1 first slot had these same problems and turned out to be a boot. Everything would work perfectly on some games, but specific odd problems like auto fire, super sensitive game cursor, same char select no input on 1p side that you had, etc. would happen on others, with finally other games not working at all. Everything cleared up with a legit 1 slot board.

So I'm just curious.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
DIP 3 would cause everything you describe. Trying switching it.

edit: that's regular BIOS behaviour though,not sure what the unibios does. Still worth a try.

Last edited:

astrodan88

King's Dry Cleaner
Board is authentic; purchased long ago from big bear.

I forgot to mention in the original post but I did try clearing the backup ram with no improvement.

HOWEVER, I just checked the hard dips and sure enough #3 had gotten switched to on. When I changed it back to off, the problems disappeared.

Thanks for the help all and MANY thanks to smkdan.

owen

n00b
where is this hard dip #3 at? is it a physical switch or in one of the menus? i looked on mine but did not find anything?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Physically on the board, look for the blue box.

owen

n00b
Thank you works fine now , greatly apprecitated . i wonder why it was set on anyways?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A lot of time it just gets bumped and switches on. Happened to me before with dip 8.