Hyper Neo Geo 64, Identifying board type.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
I recently grabbed a hyper neo 64 board with 3 games off ebay for £23 (found here) which I though was rather a steal.

So after a few days waiting the bits arrived and all was good. Mobo sealed in a box but some bits of plastic around connectors broken (new old stock my ass unless these arrived with plastic broken and no sign of the bits that have broken off in the box) and 3 games, 2 complete kits and 1 cart.

Now the fun part when I try to boot up any of the 3 games it passes all its checks and then:

machine code error

Fantastic... So it appears I have not got a revision 2 fighting board as stated in the auction? The rest of the thing seems to be rather off so it would not surprise me... Google seems to suggest this error appears when you have the wrong game in the wrong board type. Is there a way for me to tell which board I actually have?

Cheers for any pointers!

Important edit

The original seller is actually a pretty cool guy who has offered me a replacement board if I want it and who had no idea the board was a Korean one. If you want to get a hyper neo 64 get one from him! :D He's been pretty cool about all this!

Mucho props to him for being so cool about this stuff and not being a conman of any sort :D

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Post a picture of the i/o board and connectors.

Edit: Here's a picture of the rev 1 fighting board (note the connectors and audio adjustment pot):
H64.jpg

This auction has a really good pic of the rev 2 fighting board. If memory serves me, only 1 or 2 of the connectors you see there will actually be populted. I'd have to dig out my rev 2 board to check (I use a rev 1).:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270722583191&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3D270722583191%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Last edited:

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
Thanks for the pics. It looks like a revision 2 from memory (at work atm I will confirm when I get home) but why would it get a "machine code error" if it is the corect board?
Do the Driving/shooting/korean boards look any different?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Machine code error means the mother board doesn't support that game.

If your mobo has a jamma edge, try putting in the Sam Sho game and see if it works. If it does then it's a korean mobo and only plays the 2 sam sho games.

But like you said all 3 get the same error then it's possible you have a driving mobo.

Post some pics.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
It looks like it might be a korean mobo. Sam Sho 2 is working fine maybe when I tested it before i stuck the same game in twice or something? I wasn't paying the most attention at the time. A couple of pic's incoming as I can't seem to find any anywhere else...

CIMG0003.JPG

CIMG0005.JPG

CIMG0001.JPG

jew90

Geese's Thug
That looks just like mine.

I can take some hi-res shots of anything you need to know.

I have buriki one, samurai showdown and samurai spirits 2 or something (will have to check)

are all the dipswitches off?

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
Yep all 4 dips are off.
Board model is LVS-IOJ if that helps anything

Can you snap pics of the underside?
Sure 1 min

Pics of the underside
CIMG0001-1.JPG

CIMG0002.JPG

My new name shall be Captain blurrycam! (If you need better shots I will take a couple more)

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know on ebay UK you can purchase the Rev 2 I/O board and swap it out so you can have a Rev 2.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yes. The upper part of the board which connects to the cart is the same for all boards. The bottom half is the IO board and different for ech board type of course.

All you need to do is remove the bottom board and put in the new Rev 2 IO board.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Board model is LVS-IOJ if that helps anything

Mine says LVS-IOJ as well so I'm guessing the distinction between fighting board and Korean is in the bios. Can you snap a close pic of the bios?

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Mine says LVS-IOJ as well so I'm guessing the distinction between fighting board and Korean is in the bios. Can you snap a close pic of the bios?

The layout of his IO is also very different than the rev 2 IO layout. Aside from general layout changes, it's missing some connectors and there are no MVS/JAMMA and Mono/Stereo switches. Which version are you comparing it to?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm talking about the compatibility limitation not the layout.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just checked my Rev 2 and it doesn't say LVS-IOJ, that was on my Rev 1. So the Korean mobo is equal to a Rev 1 but limited but has the plugs for a Rev 2, that's be good once you swap the IO.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
I will snap a pic of the bios chip this even when Im back from work.
Its bizarre that this board is like someone mashed a rev1 and rev 2 boards together. Does anyone actually have a piccie of a korean mobo for me to check against? As sam sho works it seems likely thats what this is. I may go along the route of swapping the IO as you suggest Xian Xi... would be interesting to know if all of the boards this gy is selling are actually korean.

xPhilx

n00b
... would be interesting to know if all of the boards this gy is selling are actually korean.

[WAVES] First post on these boards, hello all!

@warpedflash. I recently got one of these with 2 boxed kits and 1 loose cart for £22.99 off ebay seller 'ihatethesmokingban', would that be the same seller? The board I got is a Rev2 with the two switches (mono/stereo, mvs/jamma), and is silk screened 'LVS-JAM © SNK 1999 (1999.1.20). Some of the sockets differ from yours. So to answer your question, no, he isn't selling only Korean boards. looks like you got unlucky. Couldn't you return it for a replacement, seems that would be easier than finding an I/O board? The only issue I have with mine is it's a real pig to get the sound working. I suspect it's cart-mobo socket connections because it works perfectly every time if I remove the game boards from the carts top and bottom casings. Cleaning the edge connectors hasn't helped so must be some flexing going on somewhere.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us posted.

Phil

jew90

Geese's Thug
[WAVES] First post on these boards, hello all!

@warpedflash. I recently got one of these with 2 boxed kits and 1 loose cart for £22.99 off ebay seller 'ihatethesmokingban', would that be the same seller? The board I got is a Rev2 with the two switches (mono/stereo, mvs/jamma), and is silk screened 'LVS-JAM © SNK 1999 (1999.1.20). Some of the sockets differ from yours. So to answer your question, no, he isn't selling only Korean boards. looks like you got unlucky. Couldn't you return it for a replacement, seems that would be easier than finding an I/O board? The only issue I have with mine is it's a real pig to get the sound working. I suspect it's cart-mobo socket connections because it works perfectly every time if I remove the game boards from the carts top and bottom casings. Cleaning the edge connectors hasn't helped so must be some flexing going on somewhere.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us posted.

Phil

mine came from ihatethesmoking ban too, he supplied with with nos neo64 and all 4 fighting game kits still sealed :D and they all work.. im guessing this guy brought off a different seller as when I spoke to ihatethesmokingban he said all of his boards were the same.. there are a few sellers on ebay selling stuff. Mine also has the mono / stereo switch

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
Mine came from ihatethesmokingban it seems to be random luck as to what set you get lol.
I mean his listing says you get a NOS mobo nad 3 used games. I got a sealed but not NOS mobo that was korean, 2 sealed kits and 1 loose cart.
Might buy another just to see what I get :D

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
Dude you are awesome :P
I actually just sent you the message to warn you in case other buyers discovered they had korean boards as well (the link here was so you actually knew how we decided that it was that not a knock at you or anything)

I have also edited up my first post to say this thread is nothing against you, you have been really helpful with this since i messaged you.