PS3 CRT input lag?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've got a JP launch model PS3 with quite a few PS2 2d fighters but I keep hearing about the input lag on HDTV displays. I'm curious if the PS3 still has this problem while being connected via component on a CRT? Not that I can actually notice the lag in the first place but I'm interested in finding out.

So PS2 via component over PS3 via component? Would buying a PS2 be a better idea for my 2d fighters?

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
you can use a PS3 component cable on a PS2. there will be no lag on a CRT. Lag can be minor on a HDTV to MAJOR. I've played on a mitsubishi LED where there was no joke, 3 seconds of lag. Not Milliseconds, ACTUAL seconds.

The shitty thing is no manufacturer really talks about input delay. Some people will tell you to just make sure the display has a good refresh rate but that has nothing to do with it, plasmas can lag and they'll have .001ms refresh.

lag comes from deinterlacing, and scaling as well as post processing. Even if you play something in a tv's native resolution (720P, 1080P) it can still lag because of post processing. The TV's with "game mode" will often disable the post processing, I know Toshiba advertises a game mode. Samsungs have it as well. Panasonics have no lag. And NuVision completely disables any processing and just feeds the raw input when you enable game mode.

Hope that explains it. :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
So from what I understand I should get no input lag when playing PS2 games on a PS3 via component with a CRT? I have a 5-6 year old samsung lcd with game mode but I can still sorta notice a lag between me pressing a button and the actual move coming out.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
So from what I understand I should get no input lag when playing PS2 games on a PS3 via component with a CRT? I have a 5-6 year old samsung lcd with game mode but I can still sorta notice a lag between me pressing a button and the actual move coming out.

you can do either PS3 or just use a ps2. make sure your Ps3 is set to 480i in it's resolution. It might be sending out a 1080i or 720P signal and your tv is scaling it. UNLIKEY but possible.

try different games, use rock band 2 with it's lag calibration to see how much lag it has. Find the native resolution of your LCD and make sure your Ps3 is set to that, most 720P Tvs can show a 1080i signal but will cause lag.

best bet is a ps2 (since ps3's don't have 100% compatiblity anyway) with component on a CRT.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
The guys over on shoryuken have tested this and the conclusion is that playing PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3 ALWAYS introduces input lag, no matter the video output connection. It has to do with the emulation engine.

Your best bet is to use a PS2 with component cables on the CRT. That would be lag-free.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a PS3 slim connected to a SDTV through component. I can't play ps2 games, but I haven't noticed any lag playing various PS1 shooters, both through PSN and from actual discs. That being said, the PS2 is still the better option, as the ps3 has to use graphic filters with varying degrees of success.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
The guys over on shoryuken have tested this and the conclusion is that playing PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3 ALWAYS introduces input lag, no matter the video output connection. It has to do with the emulation engine.

Your best bet is to use a PS2 with component cables on the CRT. That would be lag-free.

This!! You have little to almost zero lag on PS1 games but quite a lot in PS2 games even with all the smoothness and other stuff in the PS3's menu turned off. I would go for a PS2 for serious play :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Definitely sounds like buying a PS2 is the go. It's a real pain that the PS3 even with the emotion engine still cannot provide lag free PS2 playback.