Inline VGA capture thiggermajig

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Recommend one.

I want to go from a VGA out (PC, NAOMI, etc) to a VGA in (monitor) with a magic box in the middle that streams the video to my computer.

And it should work in Linux, but eh... whatever.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Recommend one.

I want to go from a VGA out (PC, NAOMI, etc) to a VGA in (monitor) with a magic box in the middle that streams the video to my computer.

And it should work in Linux, but eh... whatever.

lol magic box.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
You liked 'magic box' but nothing for 'thiggermajig' ? ;)

Seriously, though, the ones I'm finding are stupid expensive and these things can't be that expensive anymore... right?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I wouldn't have thought the quality would suffer too much if you were only splitting it two ways.. Obviously you've got more experience than I do in this area.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Quality Composhit/S-Video capture cards are only worth $20.. Surely you can get a VGA one for a similar price from somewhere.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Quality Composhit/S-Video capture cards are only worth $20.. Surely you can get a VGA one for a similar price from somewhere.

That's what I'm saying!

... damned if I can find one, though.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I wouldn't have thought the quality would suffer too much if you were only splitting it two ways.. Obviously you've got more experience than I do in this area.

If you use a unpowered splitter the signal would be double terminated which will result in the picture darkening and bandwidth issues.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
You mean in addition to a capture device? Cos I still need the capturey part if I bought that multiplexer.

I mis-understood, I just thought you wanted to hook the video up to two monitors. Yes if you want to capture just get a VGA->component convert and a component video capture card.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
If you use a unpowered splitter the signal would be double terminated which will result in the picture darkening and bandwidth issues.
I realise that, but I still believe you'd possibly get an acceptable result.

Even if you had to run the video through some procesing software to brighten up the image slightly, that wouldn't be a huge deal.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I realise that, but I still believe you'd possibly get an acceptable result.

Even if you had to run the video through some procesing software to brighten up the image slightly, that wouldn't be a huge deal.

It depends on what you mean by "acceptable"

Have you see what double terminated video looks like? It's literally half the brightness. And if you double terminate high resolution video (from a PC for example) you start getting ghosting.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I don't mean to interrupt you two, but um... to be honest....

The system I'm wanting to capture already has dual-VGA. So really..... :)

I didn't want to use a converter because I thought the quality would be crap. I've used one of those VGA -> HD Component -> Capture device rigs before and it was garbage.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I don't mean to interrupt you two, but um... to be honest....

The system I'm wanting to capture already has dual-VGA. So really..... :)

I didn't want to use a converter because I thought the quality would be crap. I've used one of those VGA -> HD Component -> Capture device rigs before and it was garbage.

I have a HDMI->Component convert with a component capture card and it works great. Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iUEU2utngs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY0PlbN86X4

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Ya! That's the problem I'm having - how the @#$(! are these things still $299+ ? :(

Yeah you'd think VGA would be easy or something. Like Hewitson said composite/s-vid cards are dirt cheap.

I think I spent about $300 for my HDMI cap card.