MVS PROBLEM! HELP PLEASE !

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I just got new carts today and I was testing them.
I put in KOF 2k3 and i noticed it was all yellowish /orange.
I changed carts and noticed that all my games have a yellowish/orange tint when I play them now.
I use a supergun, could the gun have gone bad or is it my board ??

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Check your RGB wires, make sure you don't have a short.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Test another board to make sure its not the supergun.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I have tested the supergun on another board and it was the same.
The RGB wires seem okay, im gona test again when I buy a new one.
Thanks guys

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Damn, its the supergun thats messed up.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Damn, its the supergun thats messed up.
That's a good thing. That's much easier to fix. If it's a homemade supergun it's probably just loose wires on the encoder or the encoder needs to be replaced. That's much better than repairing an MVS board.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
What kind of supergun do you have?
I bought it from Jojo, he offered to repair it, I also have another super gun I won on an ebay auction and some of the wires came off of the Jamma port thing. Should i Just jam them back in ?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ironic as I just had an argument about quality over quantity and he told me basically fuck you.

Take a pic of the new supergun with the wires you're talking about.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
188634_10150125023577298_501822297_6300382_2304981_n.jpg

hope its clear enough. Do i Need to solder it? I tried to stick it back in but ended up pulling out another one. now everything on the screen all purple. I guess its the same problem with the one Jojo made .

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
What shit soldering..

I'd purchase a JAMMA connector thats of decent quality and redo the lot from scratch, using heatshrink as should have been done in the first place.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I am really starting to get interested in hardware and soldering, How much does a good soldering kit go for ? Is it easy to pickup or should I take a course of some sort ?
What shit soldering..

I'd purchase a JAMMA connector thats of decent quality and redo the lot from scratch, using heatshrink as should have been done in the first place.
How much would it cost to build it from scratch ?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Trace it to where it goes and we can figure out where it goes on the jamma harness and yes it needs to be soldered.

You can get a soldering iron for about $30. The decent stations usually start around $75.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My first station was a Weller and it had adjustable temperature did a good job and still have it as a backup. I hear Hakko is good, too. A lot of good brands but if you plan to jump in then get a good one.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Just stop at a Radio Shack or similar electronics store. It will be cheap. That will be easy to fix.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Anybody know of any interesting tutorials or preferably videos on soldering? I know the theory but it never seems to work for me. I always seem to have to end up dripping solder on stuff cos I can never heat up the parts enough to melt the solder without completely jacking whatever plastic or other sensitive parts are nearby.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Definitely don't bother wasting your time with a cheap, crappy iron. Get a soldering station, I very highly recommend the Hakko 936 which is what I've been using for the last few years. Absolutely brilliant product.

Soldering, provided you know the right technique, is very easy to pick up. I wouldn't say a course is necessary at all, I do however think doing a course in basic electronics would be of great benefit to you.

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Anybody know of any interesting tutorials or preferably videos on soldering? I know the theory but it never seems to work for me. I always seem to have to end up dripping solder on stuff cos I can never heat up the parts enough to melt the solder without completely jacking whatever plastic or other sensitive parts are nearby.

very easy, I put flux on what I am soldering first (better heat transfer), Tin your leads, tin your iron, and then add solder to your iron, then transfer solder to the parts you want to solder. I know there are different ways to solder but I actually went to a two week years ago for my job haven't changed the way I do it. Test your skills on a old peice of electonics first. Have fun, should be a easy fix

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Soldering is pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Just make sure you heat up the area that you want to apply the solder to. Solder doesn't like to be forced onto cold surfaces, which is why tinning everything beforehand makes things really easy.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
very easy, I put flux on what I am soldering first (better heat transfer), Tin your leads, tin your iron, and then add solder to your iron, then transfer solder to the parts you want to solder. I know there are different ways to solder but I actually went to a two week years ago for my job haven't changed the way I do it. Test your skills on a old peice of electonics first. Have fun, should be a easy fix
Flux (other than what's already in the solder) is completely unnecessary for anything but SMD work.

Putting the solder on the iron and then transferring it to the component is totally the wrong way to do it. By the time you've done this you've burnt off all the flux in the solder.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Ironic as I just had an argument about quality over quantity and he told me basically fuck you.

Take a pic of the new supergun with the wires you're talking about.

:D, i read that one and you were 1000% right buddy ;)

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Flux (other than what's already in the solder) is completely unnecessary for anything but SMD work.

Putting the solder on the iron and then transferring it to the component is totally the wrong way to do it. By the time you've done this you've burnt off all the flux in the solder.

OK, Like I said in my OP, I actually went to school for this (U.S. NAVY), what have you done besides being a nuisance to this site :spock:, I know that solder has flux already in it but "I" (read it............"I") like to apply a nice bit of flux to the part "I" want to solder. Don't know and don't care how you solder but "I" do it the way "I" was taught by actual Micro Miniature Technicians.

Back to the original post, I suggest practicing on a old piece of electronics to learn. You will get the hang of it in no time :)

Last edited:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Whoever "taught" you didn't have a fuckin clue what they were doing.

It's quite obvious I'm far more experienced in this area than yourself, why don't you listen to my advice instead of insulting me you arrogant prick?