New! - Last CMVS Questions

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
Current Question:

Hello

I've collected all the parts I need and just need to get this last batch of questions cleared up. It will also be the last time I will use this thread since this is becoming a gigantic mess. If I come up with another question, I'll just make another thread.

Here they are:

1- As XX suggested, I swapped the ATX PSU with a 5V 3A wall adapter, which is much less of a hassle. However, that raises another two questions:

- If I was using the ATX supply, I'd be connecting the ground wires from the motherboard to a ground rail on the PSU. I assume those grounds will now be connected to -5V, but what about the SCART grounds? Do I connect them to -5V as well?

- I've seen that there is a +12V pin on the motherboard . Do I feed it +5V?

2- I will be doing the stereo mod on this board, and I'm looking for the needed resistors and capacitors. I've browsed on eBay and found those components with the specs mentioned in the tutorial, but with different voltage ratings. Do I need 5V ones, or can I go with whatever ones I see first? Also, does the same apply to the "optional" 1uf Cap for the RGB sync line?

3-Can I use the unused Jamma pins on the Neo motherboard? What I have in mind is soldering the wires from the stereo and overclock mod to unused Jamma connector pins on the motherboard so that I can tap into those signals using the harness.

Cheers

Previous questions:

1- Is the controller port on the AES a DB15 connector? If not, what is it?

2- What is the recommended frequency for the overclock mod? I've been looking around, but the opinions I've read are pretty much split.

3- About the SCART output..

Besides RGB and Audio signal cables, what else do I need to connect? I know there is a Sync line, but the pinout diagrams don't make it clear which pin is belongs in.

Also, what's up with all the different grounds? Is it just cold hard grounding pin overkill, or do they have specific functions? Can I daisy chain them?

4- What should I do to cut down the size of an ATX PSU?

5- How apart are the mounting holes on a FZ1 board and how wide are they?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hello

Creating a thread for every single question I have was starting to feel retarded. Hence, I'll be asking everything here instead.

So, yeah, I have a few more questions to ask. And here they are:

1- Is the controller port on the AES a DB15 connector? If not, what is it?

The control port itself is a DB15 style connector, the only difference is the ones made by SNK have longer hoods than a normal DB15 connector, they are about double the depth on the SNK ones. But for a CMVS you don't need deep ones, you can use which ever one you want.

2- What is the recommended frequency for the overclock mod? I've been looking around, but the opinions I've read are pretty much split.

For overclocking it's usually 30-40% max. Stock Neo speed is 12mhz so a 30% increase would be 15.6mhz. I've done 16mhz myself, a bunch of games get graphics glitches as that speed but games like the MS series look great.

3- About the SCART output..

Besides RGB and Audio signal cables, what else do I need to connect? I know there is a Sync line, but the pinout diagrams don't make it clear which pin is belongs in.

Also, what's up with all the different grounds? Is it just cold hard grounding pin overkill, or do they have specific functions? Can I daisy chain them?

Once again, thanks!

For the SCART you need Red, Green, Blue, Sync (Composite Video), Audio and +5v (For mode switching). The sync is pulled from the composite video on pin 20 but some people just put sync on pin 20.

As for the grounds I think they are daisy chained internally, the NEO to SCART cable I bought doesn't have daisy chained grounds and works perfectly.

That's what I've learned here.

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
Thank you good sir.

Any specific oscillator you'd like to recommend? Or can I go with the first one I run into?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's a 1 or 2 slot you only need a small wall PSU +5v@3A is more than enough and it's the same as an AES power supply.

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
Really? Well that's awesome because I've got a spare AES PSU laying around. Thanks a bunch.

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
Just one more thing, what kind of socket should I get for it?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
2.1mm barrel jack, panel/chassis mount. Just remember the AES PSU is center negative so wire the jack/board accordingly.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The way you are editing your posts makes this thread really confusing.

Regarding ATX power supplies: If you are looking for something to lose to save space, I would lose the entire ATX power supply. Its way more than what is necessary.

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
The way you are editing your posts makes this thread really confusing.

Better than spamming the board with a thread per question, is it not?

Anyways, Xian already sorted that out for me. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: I will keep a list of the questions I asked on the first post.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What exactly are you mounting the board on?

The FZ has 4 holes for mounting. If you are planning on mounting it on a base I usually do 1/2" all around the board.

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
On a Plexiglass case. Board goes on top and I'll wire everything on the inside through a Jamma harness.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Just wait until you get the board. Is the MV-1FZ the same size as the MV-1F? If so I can tell you what size base would be appropriate.

xEden

Crazed MVS Addict
Just wait until you get the board. Is the MV-1FZ the same size as the MV-1F? If so I can tell you what size base would be appropriate.

Nope, the 1F is way bigger. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Yeah, I think I will wait for the board. I might mess it up if I do this blindfolded.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Nope, 2 totally different boards. The MV1-FZ is similar to the MV-1A. The MV1-F is basically a newer version of an MV1, then the MV1-FS is the newer version of the MV1-F. The MV1-T is the same as an MV1-F except the bios orientation is vertical on the board.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If the board is modified (or doesn't need to be) to run on only +5v then only run +5v to the JAMMA or closest usable point. There is no need to run +5v on the +12v line, probably isn't good either?

SCART grounds should be grounded, ground is ground.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
lachlan said:
There is no need to run +5v on the +12v line, probably isn't good either?
Won't do any harm, then again it won't do any good either.