MVS NGP Daughterboard

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I have a couple of these, but providing a pic of it is beyond my (de)soldering skills. I can tell you on my G:MotW one, there appears to be 4 flash chips on the other side.

You are welcome to barrow one of them from me.
-ack

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya it's flash chips. I always assumed it was for updating the P rom/s.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I have a couple of carts that have this, i was just hoping there was a nice high res scan of it. I guess i can remove one of mine to see.

DavidG

If anyone wants to pass a cart this way I have the tools to remove the card, all the chips on the board and scan it. Once done I can put it back together.

Let me know.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Well for one I'm going to assume that 'NGP' stands for Neo Geo Prototype.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Well for one I'm going to assume that 'NGP' stands for Neo Geo Prototype.

Ah, well, to me "NGP" has always stood for "Neo Geo Pocket" (developing new internet slang that is the exact same acronym as another, completely different, official product by the same company is bound to confuse people) and that odd additional edge connector there is extremely similar to an NGP cartridge PCB. Its the same number of pins, about the same size, and has a notch in the middle.

Since I can't think of any conceivable reason to attach an MVS PCB to a NGP PCB, I can only assume that the way SNK burned data to ROMS involved this connector, and when the NGP was developed they made the carts the same size as the MVS interface for the purpose of convenience. If so, this is probably common knowledge and I just didn't know about it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's Neo Geo Pocket. IF you look at an NGP cart it's the same connectors.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Ah, well, to me "NGP" has always stood for "Neo Geo Pocket" (developing new internet slang that is the exact same acronym as another, completely different, official product by the same company is bound to confuse people) and that odd additional edge connector there is extremely similar to an NGP cartridge PCB. Its the same number of pins, about the same size, and has a notch in the middle.

Since I can't think of any conceivable reason to attach an MVS PCB to a NGP PCB, I can only assume that the way SNK burned data to ROMS involved this connector, and when the NGP was developed they made the carts the same size as the MVS interface for the purpose of convenience. If so, this is probably common knowledge and I just didn't know about it.

I always thought it was because they had left over stock of NGP boards with flash chip on them and instead of throwing those out. They just reused them to make the MVS carts and save some money.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I always thought it was because they had left over stock of NGP boards with flash chip on them and instead of throwing those out. They just reused them to make the MVS carts and save some money.

That's probably not it. SNK wasn't rich during that period, but they weren't going to bother with that level of dumpster diving.

I think its more likely that at some point around the time of the NGP they probably made new (or upgraded) Neo Geo dev kits and consciously made the choice to use a standard connector between the two systems.