Can you hook Atomiswave into MVS neo set up?

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I understand that some Atomiswave games are 5 button games, but would I have any issues plugging in the Atomiswave board into my Jamma harness that's wired for MVS (and Hyper 64) and playing 4 button and under games?

I'm interested in Rumble Fish 2, Dolphin Blue and possibly others. Let me know!

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I understand that some Atomiswave games are 5 button games, but would I have any issues plugging in the Atomiswave board into my Jamma harness that's wired for MVS (and Hyper 64) and playing 4 button and under games?

I'm interested in Rumble Fish 2, Dolphin Blue and possibly others. Let me know!

You'll have an issue with the sound, you'll need a converter such as the one sold by jammaboards to adapt your MVS speaker setup to the JAMMA standard.

No issues as far as using the 4 buttons, but I have no idea if the games you've listed require the 5th button or not.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
You'll need the Atomiswave audio pigtail if you want stereo. There's no stereo available on the JAMMA edge.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Is there a headphone out or can I wire directly from the board (like the Hyper 64) for the sound?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
atomi2.jpg

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
Forgive my ignorance, but does someone manufacture a CN3 to 4-pin cable to allow the Atomiswave's stereo out to be inputted into the Jammaboard's adapter card's stereo 4-pin in socket?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Forgive my ignorance, but does someone manufacture a CN3 to 4-pin cable to allow the Atomiswave's stereo out to be inputted into the Jammaboard's adapter card's stereo 4-pin in socket?

The 4-pin header is not an input. It outputs stereo when the adapter is plugged into an MVS board. No point in using it with an AW anyway.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I always thought it was an output as well. It actually isn't:

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/jamma-to-neogeo-adapter/prod_228.html said:
Available two channel audio input allows stereo producing JAMMA PCB's to utilize the NeoGeo cabinet's dual stereo speakers.

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I was thinking of the MVS to jamma adapter (where the header is indeed an output), didn't even know they also had a Jamma to MVS adapter.

Moanin_Ronin

New Challenger
Thanks for the information gang. So if it is not too difficult then I'm keen to make the effort to construct such a cable but unfortunately my ignorance in such matters makes me hopeful I can rely on the helpful knowledge of Hewitson and you others. If the socket on the adapter is an input, I assume I'll need ten wires and the "ends." Is one end a Molex 2.54mm 4 pin connector and the other just called a CN3 connector? Where do I find these? What type of wire should I use? And what is connected to where? Sorry for all my ignorance, any guidance and direction would be greatly appreciated.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
If the socket on the adapter is an input, I assume I'll need ten wires and the "ends." Is one end a Molex 2.54mm 4 pin connector and the other just called a CN3 connector? Where do I find these? What type of wire should I use? And what is connected to where?

The connector on the AW mobo has 10 pins but only four are used for stereo. It's a JST PHD connector, check the datasheet posted above for the housing and pins codes. Digikey sells them, IIRC. Note that the pins are quite small and crimping them is not easy without a suitable tool.

However...

I fail to see how it could work considering the AW has separate lines for speaker negatives whereas in an MVS cab the negatives are wired together. An adapter obviously can't disconnect them.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
That's a good point, I didn't think of that.

Connecting the negatives to ground would more than likely blow your amp, I'd use just two wires for the two positives. An old analog CD audio cable would be perfect.

images