"Shocking" MVS Experience. Need Some Help.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Okay I have a old style Neo candy, I got it working but, when I touch the over lay the damn thing shocks me.
I checked for opened wires touching the steel frame, but they are not.
This was wired with a OLD pc power supply.

Any clue on why I get shocked by the damn thing?

bugula

Member,
Originally posted by Lord Wolfgang Krauser:
<STRONG>Okay I have a old style Neo candy, I got it working but, when I touch the over lay the damn thing shocks me.
I checked for opened wires touching the steel frame, but they are not.
This was wired with a OLD pc power supply.

Any clue on why I get shocked by the damn thing?</STRONG>

hahaha

can't help you with that, but i had a similar experience when i was putting new buttons into one of my candies...everytime my elbow would hit the metal control panel, i'd get a nasty shock that felt like my funny bone got whacked.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Well the pc supply has many Grounds, in which a standard MVS PSU has only ones dedicated to the supply itself.
I might open the supply up and see whats up, although it is on wood.
Maybe one of the reason they went to plastic overlays with the new candy's, was the electrocution factor.

LastResort

King's Dry Cleaner
Probably static electricity discharges i think. Try to make a extra ground on the cabinet frame, should probably rid this problem.

LastResort

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Originally posted by LastResort:
<STRONG>Probably static electricity discharges i think. Try to make a extra ground on the cabinet frame, should probably rid this problem.

LastResort</STRONG>

Okay so I attach a G wire to the metal frame itself? That wont set me up for a colorful suicide?

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
<STRONG>Okay so I attach a G wire to the metal frame itself? That wont set me up for a colorful suicide?</STRONG>

We should be so lucky.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Hrmmmm....

Well here's the deal.

Are you using +5V as the common voltage for the controls? If so, switch the common line to Ground and see if that helps.

There may be a pin or something from the MVS board that is shorting to the metal frame. Try raising the MVS board or putting it on a piece of wood. It may also help to run multiple ground lines from the PSU to the multiple ground lines on the JAMMA connector.

IF YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE IT IS THE CAB THAT IS HOLDING A STATIC STATIC CHARGE AND NOT YOU HOLDING THE CHARGE: Solder a wire from one of the ground lines on your PSU to the metal frame. BUT ONLY DO THIS IF YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE CAB IS HOLDING A STATIC CHARGE!!

Good luck man.

Peace

JHendrix

JHendrix

<STRONG>Okay so I attach a G wire to the metal frame itself? That wont set me up for a colorful suicide?</STRONG>

That wouldn't be colorful. If it was static you'd be fine. But if it was something else and you completed the circuit by attatching the ground line then you'd have a constant current going through it, and/or you'd increase the voltage/current going across it. So your next shock could be fatal.

Peace

JHendrix

PS. Just for some info, it's not the Voltage that kills you, it's the Current. Now be careful!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Originally posted by RevQuixo:
<STRONG>We should be so lucky.</STRONG>

Don't worry I will load my gun and shoot my head through tonight at 11.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
You know what, its to damn much a risk, I like neo just like the rest, but I'm not risking my life over it...

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Lord Wolfgang Krauser ]

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I have been shocked a few times by mine. It has an original PSU in it, so it doesnt have a ground coming out of the power cable.

The one thing I did that stopped the shocks was plug it into a surge protector. Before I had it directly hooked to the wall, and it would shock me if I touched it and something else (I dont remember). Once I hooked surge protector up, it never shocked me again.

JHendrix

<STRONG>You know what, its to damn much a risk, I like neo just like the rest, but I'm not risking my life over it...

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Lord Wolfgang Krauser ]</STRONG>

Um the ground wire is a last resort. Do you have +5V as your common line to your controls? That sounds like the most common problem.

Also, I don't know if the MVS board could be touching the frame, try resting it on a piece of wood. Should be fine.

I doubt it's static. Don't run that ground line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

JHendrix

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Originally posted by NeoTurfMasta:
<STRONG>I have been shocked a few times by mine. It has an original PSU in it, so it doesnt have a ground coming out of the power cable.

The one thing I did that stopped the shocks was plug it into a surge protector. Before I had it directly hooked to the wall, and it would shock me if I touched it and something else (I dont remember). Once I hooked surge protector up, it never shocked me again.</STRONG>

Where can acquire one of these?
This may solve the problem.

JHendrix

<STRONG>Where can acquire one of these?
This may solve the problem.</STRONG>

CompUSA, Radio Shack, any general store man. It's a normal surge protector like you'd plug your PC stuff into.

Peace

JHendrix

PS. Flood Controls sucks

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
come to think of it, NTF made a damn good point.
I have the monitor plugged into a Power bar along with the normal systems plug.
The monitor was hooked into another out in the machine, but when I wired the pc supply the monitor would not work normally, it had to be plugged into a direct power out to work.

JHendrix

The monitor is getting power from a direct source and from the PSU? Uhh yeah disconnect it from the PSU and keep it to the direct power. Should be ok from there I hope.

Peace

JHendrix

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Tested that to, still getting shocked.
Hell I even unplugged the monitor and turned it on having the game running and all, still getting shocked.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Lord Wolfgang Krauser ]

JHendrix

<STRONG>Tested that to, still getting shocked.
Hell I even unplugged the monitor and turned it on having the game running and all, still getting shocked.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Lord Wolfgang Krauser ]</STRONG>

Did you check the common line to your controls? Is the MVS board touching the frame? Check my above posts, I think either one of those is the problem.

Peace

JHendrix

PS. Flood Control Really Sucks

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Well the board is on a wooden panel.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
<STRONG>Don't worry I will load my gun and shoot my head through tonight at 11.</STRONG>

Ahh...that is so sweet of you.

Thanks.

JHendrix

What about the controls? Is +5V running to the control panel? Or is it ground?

Peace

JHendrix

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Originally posted by JHendrix:
<STRONG>What about the controls? Is +5V running to the control panel? Or is it ground?

Peace

JHendrix</STRONG>

Ground I believe.