no sound on cps2 game

noCLip

Camel Slug
Hi,
I just got a Street Fighter Alpha 3 off of KLOV (blue b board). Put it on my blue a board and it boots up and plays fine but no sound. I went into the test mode and the sound passes the test but i have no sound. Put it on a green a board and same problem... I pmed the guy on klov but he hasnt gotten back yet. Was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this.
Thanks,
-Dave

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What else is common in the equation other than the B board? Did you turn up the volume on the A board?

noCLip

Camel Slug
yeah, i turned up the volume and nothing. The sound works on both A boards with other titles. Never had an issue. I opened up the SFA3 case and made sure all the eeporms are in good, which they are. Everything passes the test in test mode so i dunno. im almost 100% sure the game is legit, has no signs of being a boot, i have no idea what the problem is

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When you say the sound works in test mode do you mean sound effects or music or both?

noCLip

Camel Slug
sorry, there isnt any actual sound in the test mode, but when you go into the Memory Check the Qsound Ram passes as well as everything else. in sound and voice, there is no sound what so ever at any point. Sorry if that was confusing

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Push and hold the volume down button and keep holding it while powering up the board. Keep it held until you get the boot screen for the game. This resets what it thinks the volume levels are.

Once you get the game booted try to turn the volume up.

For some reason I get carts that do it from time to time on my testbed motherboard. I think it's just the nature of CPS2.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Push and hold the volume down button and keep holding it while powering up the board. Keep it held until you get the boot screen for the game. This resets what it thinks the volume levels are.

For some reason I get carts that do it from time to time on my testbed motherboard. I think it's just the nature of CPS2.

Good info RJ, thanks for that tidbit.

noCLip

Camel Slug

Ive tried this several times, pressing the button before i start it up and pressing it right after i power it on, and every time it boots up and just goes to the game, not the test menu, am i doing something wrong?

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Are you holding it down while you boot?

noCLip

Camel Slug
yeah... ive held it down before i turn it on, then keep it down for like a minute but the game just boots, also turned it on then pressed it down and held it for like a minute and it still just boots up normal. what am i doing wrong?

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Nothing, not supposed to get into the test menu, when it boots into the game press the up volume button to turn the sound back on.

noCLip

Camel Slug

Nothing, not supposed to get into the test menu, when it boots into the game press the up volume button to turn the sound back on.

Okay, i got it to reset the sound to zero, then move it back up, and still no sound. Are there any other things I can do?

Last edited:

JazzyNYC

Kabuki Klasher
What he means is to:

1.Press and hold the Volume down button on the a board

2. While still holding the Volume button down, power up the game, make sure your still holding the button down.

3. Wait til the splash screen, eg Street Fighter Alpha 3 965064, let go of the volume down button, and keep pressing the volume up button til you hear sounds.

You should not need to go into the test mode whatsoever for this, period.

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
I had a similar problem once, then I added a credit. =)

Doubt you are in the same boat, but do ensure you eliminate the simple stuff.

noCLip

Camel Slug
yeah ive done all that, i have it set to freeplay, ive played it several times without the sound. Ive reset the sound like you said, turned the volume all the way up and no sound ever. super lame

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
have you tried to plug it in to your stereo from the red and white jacks?

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
also, in a New Astro City I thought the sound on a board was dead once and the problem was just that I never re-attached the speakers after taking the front cover off.... so yeah, make sure the speakers are wired and work with another game if you haven't already.

noCLip

Camel Slug
sound works in cab with every other game I have, no i havent tried to use the audio jacks on the cart but i dont have a stereo to do that with

jew90

Geese's Thug
To reset the volume control on a CPS2 board you hold either the UP or Down button in for 5 seconds when the machine is on then re-adjust the volume.

Is your sound set to MONO in the System Configuration Menu? It DEFAULTS to STEREO.

If you have it set to STEREO you'll output sound through the RCA phono jacks instead of the JAMMA loom....

It needs to be in MONO mode for a JAMMA (Non Q-Sound) Cab.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
sound works in cab with every other game I have, no i havent tried to use the audio jacks on the cart but i dont have a stereo to do that with
Every house in the world has a stereo or TV you could connect to these for testing.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I have a SFA3 (US). And I just successfully replicated your sound problem.

That is: I just used the my JAMMA harness speaker connection to played my SFA3 (US) without any sound whatsoever. The game booted fine--passed all system tests--And played fine--less the sound. I don't know why this is the case. But, so far, I think this may be normal for this CAPCOM game. :scratch:

So far, the good news is that the game produces great sound--Q-Sound--from the two stereo jacks. :)

Check and see if you are getting sound from your two stereo jacks.

jew90

Geese's Thug
I have a SFA3 (US). And I just successfully replicated your sound problem.

That is: I just used the my JAMMA harness speaker connection to played my SFA3 (US) without any sound whatsoever. The game booted fine--passed all system tests--And played fine--less the sound. I don't know why this is the case. But, so far, I think this may be normal for this CAPCOM game. :scratch:

So far, the good news is that the game produces great sound--Q-Sound--from the two stereo jacks. :)

Check and see if you are getting sound from your two stereo jacks.

Did you set the sound to MONO like I posted above (in the hardware setup menu)

If you leave it to stereo you'll only get audio through the RCA's.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yes, I held either the UP or Down button in for 5 seconds when the machine was on then re-adjust the volume. The RCA jack sounds worked. The JAMMA sound did not. The game's volume control operated fine.

----New Info.

I looked at my SFA3 this morning. I am now getting sound from both the RCA Jacks and the JAMMA Harness Jacks. The RCA sound still sounds great, and the JAMMA Harness Jacks sound--not so great, but I think it sounds as it should. :multi_co:

Odd thing is, all I did was start the game up with the RCA Jacks--Enter the Sound & Voice menu--Play some game sounds--And remove one RCA plug while the sounds were playing, listen to the corresponding speaker go silent, and then connect that plug to the corresponding JAMMA Harness Jack. Next think I know, I hear sounds coming out over both speakers. :scratch: So, I repeated the process again with the other RCA plug and now I've got sound off of the JAMMA Harness going to the other speaker. :)

Don't know why it worked. But it did.

----

Audio setup:
SFA3 CPS2 A & B board (Blue, US),
RCA to Stereo Splitter. http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296243264&sr=1-2, and
PC Monsoon MH-500 Desktop Speaker System. http://www.amazon.com/Monsoon-MH-50.../B00004VUJF/ref=de_a_smtd/192-8334983-9442163.
Gold-Plated Panel-Mount Phono Jack x2, "JAMMA Harness Jack," http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103234

---

0. SFA3 Test Menu.
---3. Sound & Voice.
---7. Configuration Menu.
---7.1. System
---7.1.4. Demo Sound: On/Off
---7.1.5. Sound Mode: Stereo (Q-Sound) / Monaural
---7.3. Default
---7.4. Save & Exit
---9. Exit.

nork69

Marked Wolf
10 Year Member
This thing work and save my boards, Thanks bros