Electrocution :(

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Forgot a cab was plugged in today, tried some R&M and got a shot across the chest. I should have known better.
Its 240 here, ouch, always assume its live !
And keep one hand in the pocket.

Reasons to be cheerfull

Lovecraft0110

Ace Gho,
20 Year Member
Oooof!

Good luck you're still alive, Todd!

When I get a cab -someday- I'll try to remember being careful! :)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
What ever any one does with electrics.
Please do not grip something earthed or neutral then grab a live wire with the othert hand.
Trust me on this, its at the least very painfull.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
supergoose79:
so ... you're ok? i really hope so.
Yes Supergoose, I survived.
Thanks for your concern
This is just a cautionary note
Its so easy to get slack.

Robert

20 Year Member
And what kind of pain does create an electrocution? for those who want to answer "try it!", don't bother uneless you want post count+1

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
You are actually very lucky.... God called he this morning and told me death was on his way for you... You were due to die from heart attack after getting very stressed over something you were trying to fix on your cab. Lucky for you at the time this was due to happen you shocked yourself thus keeping your heart pumping correctly, you also gained a few extra years due to the new influx of energy :)

Raz

HPMAN

UI resident
Hehe, looks like you blew up a few thousands cells from your brain wink

Shiftyfink

Geese's Thug
OMG the Twins were almost Orphans. Put me in your will, I will raise them right.

Been there, done that and ALWAYS its my damn fault. The wife will hear MOTHER F*&^@$ SH@( DAMN PIECE OF F*@&# CRAP!

She replies "Electricuted yourself again." Actually had a screwdriver fly out of my hand.

Once My hair turned white, I pissed green and didnt sleep for 6 days. But I could turn on the TV from the Couch without a remote.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Shiftyfink:
OMG the Twins were almost Orphans. Put me in your will, I will raise them right.

Been there, done that and ALWAYS its my damn fault. The wife will hear MOTHER F*&^@$ SH@( DAMN PIECE OF F*@&# CRAP!

She replies "Electricuted yourself again." Actually had a screwdriver fly out of my hand.

Once My hair turned white, I pissed green and didnt sleep for 6 days. But I could turn on the TV from the Couch without a remote.

lol .. tickled That's Funny..
I have the cab on a surge protector power strip..I never leave it on after playing the machine.
But,I was repairing a broken switch on a TV the other day and I had it plugged in..I bumped something and got a nice Zap..
I remember saying.MOTHER F*&^@$ SH@( DAMN PIECE OF F*@&# CRAP! tickled

fook dude! glad ur ok.

Yeah its 240V, but we get half the current - that's the main thing (you can survive a million volt shock at very low current, seen it been done). Also, don't forget when you are dealing with monitors, they usually require 20-40kv!!!!

Yup keep one hand in yer pocket - grab that loose change!

To he who asked what it feels like, it bloody hurts! Go use an electric mower/strimmer for about 30 mins. That buzzing feeling you get is what u feel when the pain has died down - imagine that multiplied many times! It feels like a burn, it is an impulse to retract the shocked part, so its a sharp, snappy burning sensation. Had my soldering iron go live once, bloody table lamp! That bastard won't be illuminating no rooms any more! hehehe

Oh, and as for what it looks like to other people, much like this.....

buttrock

hehehehehehe

ttooddddyy, gotta thank u d00d. been away, was looking for a reason to use this cool new emote. yours was a far better reason than any i'd thought up!

RESPECT

hehe

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
My cab zapped me the other day, a few weeks ago. I was adjusting the black level, and in order to do so I usually put my thumb and middle or index finger on either side of the dial, straddling this bar that holds the PCBs straight on the top of them (this is kinda hard to describe, if any of you have a Wells-Gardner 19K4615 monitor I think you'll know what I mean). AAAAAAAnyway, I went to adjust it when apparently this capacitor on one of the pcbs discharged into me (probably my finger touched the 2 contacts). At first it BURNED! I felt this big burning sensation, and after about 5 seconds it went numb. I was screaming and like banging my finger against the wall to get the feeling back (it was like "GOD STUPID SON OF A DARN FRIGGIN AAAAAAAAUGH! <thud> <thud> STUPID FREAKING SON OF A STUPID FRICKIN LITTLE OWWWWWW! <thud thud>"). The feeling came back after about 2 minutes. I looked at the cap, and I have no idea what voltage it held, and I really don't care, all I know is that I do not want to go through with it again!

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
ttooddddyy:
Forgot a cab was plugged in today, tried some R&M and got a shot across the chest. I should have known better.
Its 240 here, ouch, always assume its live !
And keep one hand in the pocket.

Reasons to be cheerfull
People I work with think that I'm overly cautious when it comes to power sources. We work around anything from 5 volt to 480 volt and I always use much care. I even do the one hand it pocket thing when I'm not too sure about things around sources. Having received a MEGA SHOCK myself many years ago, I repect this stuff now.

Take it easy man!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
You bastards are just scaring me out of getting a cab.

Maybe I'll employ a cab janitor or something.

SSS

neo retired
I accidentally grabbed the two prongs on a flourecent light fixture while it was plugged in. Nice tingly pain up my arm. Couldn't pull away right away, as I had no control over my muscles.

gunrock46

Dodgeball Yakuza
SamuraiShodownSensei:
I accidentally grabbed the two prongs on a flourecent light fixture while it was plugged in. Nice tingly pain up my arm. Couldn't pull away right away, as I had no control over my muscles.
Yikes! Flourscent is the worst of all lighting fixtures to grab too. They take low voltage and pump it to high. I just got zapped by a light fixture at the store I work at on top of a 8 foot ladder. Best part was I was taking down a $6k fixture too. Just hold on and enjoy the ride.

Anybody know what the voltage or amperage that comes off cab monitors is?

<small>[ June 01, 2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: gunrock46 ]</small>

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
I work on some equipment that runs on 4,160 volts. It's a little intimidating. Once a squirrel got across the power lines for 4,160, and there was nothing left of it. Nothing.

One thing to keep in mind is that DC voltage is generally more dangerous than AC voltage (VDC level to AC RMS level). Since AC levels vary with time, it's easier to break free if you are in their "grip".

I've seen 250 VDC arc across test leads that I was holding for a digital meter and blow a 20 A breaker fuse, and they weren't close to touching. That was quite a wake-up call.

<small>[ June 02, 2003, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: RiotoftheBlood ]</small>

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Back in 1998 I was digging around in my pc and stupid me ... I brushed the power transformer on one of my modems { had a shotgun setup back then :D } Needless to say it hurt like a bitch and I lost feeling in half of my hand for almost a year.
I think I was touching it for about 2 to 3 seconds before I could actually react. I have shot a screwdriver once myself and damn near been killed bye a few flying caps on a few occasions. Gotta love cabinets sometimes.

Glad to hear you are okay man.

<small>[ June 02, 2003, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: candycab ]</small>

gunrock46

Dodgeball Yakuza
RiotoftheBlood:

I've seen 250 VDC arc across test leads that I was holding for a digital meter and blow a 20 A breaker fuse, and they weren't close to touching. That was quite a wake-up call.
I just saw something very similar to that just the other day. Quite interesting to see. I don't know if you're familar with the company Federal Pacific(?), but it was one of their breakers. I'm still suprised we didn't burn our store down.