Another 4 slot console....

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Here is one I have just finished for a member of this forum.....
<a href="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/181122/KUXFD-DSCN2873.JPG" target="_blank">http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/181122/KUXFD-DSCN2873.JPG</a>

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
1.: is it chromed or polished?
2.: why did you mount the plugs to the front of the system?

looks good overall, but i can't stand fingerprints. that's why, i'd prefer a paintjob.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
supergoose79:
why did you mount the plugs to the front of the system?
Yes, that's originally meant to be the front but I think that when it comes to consolizing 4-slots that's more naturally viewed as the back of the machine. That's particularly obvious in the case of the older version, where the joy ports are located in the back that now becomes the front. This one is the newer version (with ports on the side) but I still think that the edge connector is better off being kept in the back, out of sight (of course the cart spines will be upside down but who cares).

Just my 2 cents (maybe thegreathopper has different reasons)

<small>[ May 29, 2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: MKL ]</small>

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
MKL of course the cart spines will be upside down but who cares.
i do. :)
my 2-slot doesn't have them upside down and that's why i'd be afraid to insert them the wrong way.

i'd also like to know, how he routed the wires from the bottom board to the shell.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
But you use to remove the original spines with custom ones, don't you? In that case you just have to put them upside down on the carts and you're set...

edit: ah, that would be a problem with the 2-slot...

<small>[ May 29, 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: MKL ]</small>

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
1.: is it chromed or polished?
2.: why did you mount the plugs to the front of the system?
1.Hello Mr Goose the 4 slot is stripped of original coating then chromed and polished..
2.I class this as the back I always put the jamma connector at the back.
3.MVS carts only go in one way.
4.Glad you like it.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
MKL ah, that would be a problem with the 2-slot...
plus : the 1-slot :D

@ thegreathopper :
can you please post some more pics?
i'd really like to to have a look at the wires and the side, where the joyports are. thanks. :)

forgot to mention : the finish looks really awesome. i've got 2 chromed bmx frames and 1 chromed mtb frame and i know, that not every chromed surface looks that good.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
I will post some more pics soon...
A question for you Mr Goose how do you adjust the brightness on your concolized MVS are you using variable resistors or fixed value resistors if so what value?? I am using 3 x 1K presets mounted on a small pcb..

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
3x 82ohm (fixed value) resitors soldered straight to the d-sub plug. i might try 100ohm ones soon, but 82ohm are quite good.

btw : i have some very special plans for my own 4-slot. that's the reason, why i asked for some more pics. :)

unite2k

Cheng's Errand Boy
I was the lucky member to get this Consolized 4-slot!!!

Check my review:

<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=008934" target="_blank">http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=008934</a>

Many MORE pictures....

<a href="http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=290650" target="_blank">http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=290650</a>

Thanks again Greathopper!

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
no offense, but imo passing off some of that stuff as uber-1337-sensational is bit too much.
sure the finish looks awesome, but hey ... you paid 300 pounds and that thing doesn't have a power switch? that has to be a joke. (a BAD one)

and what's the big deal about the compatibility with ns sticks? or about having stereo output?

BUT : i completely agree with the fact, that mvs gaming offers waaay more, than ngh or ngcd gaming. gotta love the uni-bios and the possibility of switching between the inserted games.

unite2k

Cheng's Errand Boy
No offence intended Supergoose...

I was just pleasantly surprised at the quality of the system, this is reflected in my review.
I think anyone else who has just made a move to a consolized multi slot MVS system with the UNI Bios would be similarly pleased. The chrome finish was just the icing on the cake.

At the end of the day I am just supporting your cause!

Consolized MVS is the way forwards, be it a Supergoose system or a GreatHopper system...

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
you know ... my dad always told me, that a system can be seriously damaged, if you only pull the plug and don't use the power switch. i'm pretty sure, that thegreathopper can still add one. i'd ask him for safety's sake.

btw : handle that thing with care and never lift it with inserted carts. i did that once and i never want to hear such a desturbing noice again.

btw #2 : thanks for the additional shots.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Hey mr Goose thanks for the advice about the on/off switch but pulling the plug is the same thing just disconnecting the power supply,As for blowing up the MVS without a switch that is completely wrong.But hey what would I know I only have the one degree in electrical engineering..

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
thegreathopper but pulling the plug is the same thing just disconnecting the power supply,As for blowing up the MVS without a switch that is completely wrong.
maybe as long as the power supply is ok ...

sorry, maybe it's too much to ask for a power switch.
... or maybe i'm just old fashioned or stupid (yeah, maybe both), but i'd expect to get a power switch, if i'd pay 300 pounds (about $450, right?) for such a system.

well ... i've seen flashes and up to 100cm long flames coming out of wall sockets and switches. not funnay.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
supergoose79:
you know ... my dad always told me, that a system can be seriously damaged, if you only pull the plug and don't use the power switch.
Well, well...you should also worry about the power supply: I seem to remember that your early consolized MVS units were meant to be powered by a PC PSU and that such units had a built-in DC switch. Well, there are two categories of power supplies: those that can stay on without a load and those that get damaged if they're on without a load. PC PSU's fall into the second category...when you switch off the MVS console through the DC switch it no longer gets power but the PC PSU is still on and if it stays on for too long it will get damaged... luckily for you (and kernow, etc.) the Ault desktop PSU you got from Jameco falls into the first category...

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i had some problems with atx power supplies, but at style ones seem to be ok. i forgot to switch mine off and left my place to visit my parentes. (weekend) still works fine.

and : i'd rather blow a 2€ pc power supply, than a 75€+ board.

@ thegreathopper :
please don't take this as an offense, please take it as a suggestion. your system looks very nice and all, but i think, that a power switch would be a huge 'plus'. and hey ... they are like one or two euros a piece.

btw : my dad studied electronics and has his own little firm. that's why i trusted him, when he told me about the power switches. in fact ... sometimes, he got really mad at me, when i pulled the plug instead of using the switch.

and to be honest : those huge flames, that came out of the light switch, scared the shit out of me.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to add an AC switch to the PSU if it doesn't have one. Better that than a DC switch on the MVS: let's keep the unit as clean as possible.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
err ... ok.
thing is, that i hide my own pc psu behind my tv and i'm not too keen on crawling behind my setup, too often.

jameco power supplies don't have a power switch. that's why, i'd prefer to have at least one mounted to the board. simple as that.

SNKFreak

Banned
I agree with Da Goose on this one. No power switch is a suck deal.

As far as it looking pretty, it does, but that doesn't really mean much.

My 2-slot console has gone through so many revisions that it's all full of holes, isnt painted, and isnt the prettiest thing ever. But it's the inside that counts. Everything is perfectly wired, perfectly isolated, and I have all the switches and options you can possibly have on an MVS board.

I'll take functionality over looks any day.

Also, is it just me or is 300 pounds a bit much?
Since this is a SCART compatible system, there's no expensive RGB converter to jack up the price.

All together, I say $150 for the board (if you know where to shop) $20 for the power supply, throw in another $80 for parts and labor, about $25 for shipping.. (150+20+80+25=.... hmmm.....) $275??

$275 (about 170 pounds)is what I'd charge for the system (and I'd include on/off switch, connections for RGB, composite, S-video, SCART, seperate stereo and mono, headphones, credit buttons, test button, pause switch, unibios AND I'd shield the exposed solder joints on the bottom)

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
you won't want to make many systems for that price. i have to admit, that 300 pounds aren't bad, if you consider the chrome finish.

SNKFreak

Banned
yeah, blasting off the old finish and chroming it is a pretty smooth move, but still, a nice coat of jet black will look just as cool.

SNKFreak

Banned
Double post, fucking Internet Explorer.

<small>[ June 03, 2003, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: SNKFreak ]</small>