Opinions on Loewe CRT's (WORKS!)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I found a Loewe CRT with RGB scart on the side of the road yesterday as it's hard rubbish time in this neighbourhood.

For those who don't know, hard rubbish time is when everyone dumps their unwated goods on the nature strip outside their house for disposal. I usually go treasure hunting to find working electronics.

It's a Loewe Profil Plus 3572zp. I'm pretty excited finding a german made TV out on the street, just wondering what everyones experiences are with Loewe CRT's? In particular I'll be using it for my MVS.

Last edited:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Wow thats a nice find... I have never owned a Loewe but they are supposed to be about the best you can get. They were very expensive (at least twice the cost of a Sony).

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
In the States, hard rubbish day = bulky trash day. I once found a 30 inch sony TV on bulky trash day... I happily took it home only to find out the bastard didn't work so... I smashed it up with a doublejack.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wow thats a nice find... I have never owned a Loewe but they are supposed to be about the best you can get. They were very expensive (at least twice the cost of a Sony).

I reckon aye, I've been trying to find a SCART capable set for a while and this was just pot luck. Seems it was manufactured between 1999 and 2001 so it's fairly new but aparently sets made between this time had solder joints that cracked easily and caused overheating or possible fire.

But.. I checked the Loewe Australia website and it lets you check if your set is affected or not via article and serial number, again my luck as Loewe had records that my set was repaired in 2007. I can't turn it on as copper hunters have stripped the power cord. Hell it may be broken but it wont be hard to rewire it.

Thanks, sounds like I've scored a gold nugget.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Indeed you did find a gold nugget. Loewe is one of the best crt screens ever. B&O went on a detour a long time ago and ever since then the Loewe models were the best money could buy down here.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
Loewe sets are incredibly good, I used to own an Aconda 38" and loved. The only issue with that set was that it was only native 480p/1080i. It has incredible colors, blacks and decent video processing for its time.

My brother still plays using it with his ps3 in 1080i and is happy as hell with it.

jew90

Geese's Thug
There fantastic TV's

Loewe are the German equivalent to Bang and Olufsen.

Usually twice the price of anything else but more often than not they last twice as long.

Most models are packed with the best technology available at the time of mfg and while being stylish are built to last!

Sounds like a good find. Even if it did have a fault i'd evaluate repair costs before letting it go.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Even if it did have a fault i'd evaluate repair costs before letting it go.

Exactly what I was thinking. I knew it would be a good set to have regardless if it's not fully functioning. Repair costs won't be cheap but still worth it I guess.

On a side note I was wondering what the 'Profil Plus' range of Loewe CRT's are, I know they have different names for their TV's depending on their purpose. Also wondering about the model number, 3572 Z is what I'm finding but this one has a P after the Z. What the hell does it mean? As Loewe withdrew from the CRT market, information on those models are scarce and unfortunately in German.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
http://www.download-service-manuals...e-93.pdf&SID=k418ecs4l5fic5e5gp31610lmvl7bbc0

Loewe are quite good for their information.

Here is the Service manual for the TV in all of the European lanagues. (inc. english)

It should be of use if you need to repair the tv

Thank you, this will definitely help. Should be able to test the display by the end of the week.

EDIT: Removed the back housing off the Loewe, fuse still intact, no visible damage anywhere, apart from dust it's in perfect condition. Heres hoping to a working display. Wiring it back up is the easy part but I can't test it in my current living arangement as this house doesn't have a safety switch and I don't feel like blowing the ancient fuses when It's not my house.

EDIT2: Wired up the TV, works like a charm. Thought I smelt an electrical burning smell but the display seems fine, colours are good. I think it's just an electrical operational smell. Probably because the bloody thing hasn't been turned on in a while. No damage to components, fuses intact, electron heaters glowing orange as usual. Bloody good find!

Last edited: