NEO GEO AES Power supply

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's still 3rd party. Plus make sure you get the right voltage, I don't know why it says Japanese and the pic is a +9v supply, I thought the JP consoles were all +5v.

The snugness you are refering to is the pin size. The AES jack is 2.1mm but 2.5mm is more common for PSUs. Most 2.5mm PSUs have a spring type clip that can grab a 2.1mm pin.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
That's still 3rd party. Plus make sure you get the right voltage, I don't know why it says Japanese and the pic is a +9v supply, I thought the JP consoles were all +5v.

Strange, I thought it was the other way around. All the American systems I've come across were +5v while the Japanese systems were all +9v. Even some of the high serial USA systems have PRO-POW3 crossed out with black marker and use a +5v adapter.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just double checked and it's actually a mix, few japanese and a bunch of US +5v systems. Weird.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
If you're worried about the snug fit, you might want to replace the DC power connector. They get worn out after prolonged usage. Take the power supply you have to the local electronics shop and see if a new power connector fits better.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Whichever one you decide to get I recommend:

+5v@3A (US) or +9v@2A (JP or Euro) match the one you currently have voltage wise.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Those current levels are surely a fair bit over the top. Anyone ever actually measured what an AES draws?

Don't know why you're bothered about it not being an SNK power supply. Theyre all more or less the same. Cheap, unregulated pieces of shit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the +5v models I've seen the current dip just over 2A with big meg games (600+). On the +9v model I encountered problems at 1.2A, for some reason Fatal Fury wouldn't run at 1.2A which is weird and a few other games, at 2A they all ran smooth. I never checked the current draw for the +9v system though.

Of course you want room for accessories.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Those current levels are surely a fair bit over the top. Anyone ever actually measured what an AES draws?

Don't know why you're bothered about it not being an SNK power supply. Theyre all more or less the same. Cheap, unregulated pieces of shit.

You can use a huge 100 amp power supply if you want... The system is only going to pull the current it needs from the supply. The supply won't "push" extra current through the system.

Tehtriggerman

Quiz Detective
Thanks for the tips guys. I contacted NEOTROPOLIS today about it. And...

If you're worried about the snug fit, you might want to replace the DC power connector. They get worn out after prolonged usage

It wasn't that as they said they replace the entire thing when they work on them. The neck of the current plug is only 'holding on" by the center pin in the console. The diameter is too thin. They were very helpful as always and would remebdy the problem with genuine part when it comes in. But i believe in having backups which is why I will get an extra, thanks Xian Xi

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you are up for it, you can swap the tip like shadow said. Most specialized electronics stores carry them, you want a male 2.1mm x 5.5mm connector.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
channelmaniac said:
You can use a huge 100 amp power supply if you want... The system is only going to pull the current it needs from the supply. The supply won't "push" extra current through the system.
Oh I realise that, it's just that plug packs of 2-3A aren't exactly common. I wonder how efficient the regulator in the AES is, perhaps it could be worth replacing it with a more modern one.