Supergun Setup Help Needed

slai50

New Challenger
so i finally got around to purchasing a neobitz encoder supergun which will output component, s video, and composite. I'm using samsung 40 inch LED TV. I tried component with neo geo mvs and it works fine. Problem is when i try using component with PGM 2(oriental legends 2 and knights of valour 2) i get no picture. I also tried it with my guerrilla war pcb and same thing, no picture. I haven't tried it with s video or composite video since i have no cables. My LED TV only has HDMI, component, and composite. It is lacking s-video. In my current situation, what are the best options fo me? Should i purchase an XRGB-2 nonplus? or should i just track down a non HD sony wega CRT with component, s video and composite? Keep in mind i want the best possible picture so i do not plan on using composite. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
You would have been better off going with the JROK from a compatibility point of view. While it's not perfect either, it does seem to work with more boards than the Neobitz.

The first step I'd take is to buy (or build) a sync cleaner. They can be bought from the JROK website, or you can build one using a LM1881 IC.

marsteam

, Typey McTypes-a-Lot,
Why don't you see if you get a composite image before shelling out for a converter or a new TV? Buy a composite cable at the dollar store. OR use one of the plugs of your component cable as a composite cable. This will tell you if your TV doesn't like the sync from the problem PCBs.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
No it won't.. Composite video still contains sync, hence the term CVBS - Composite Video, Blanking & Sync. How would it work without it? The TV would not know where the beginning and the end of a line is.

marsteam

, Typey McTypes-a-Lot,
What are you talking about? We're troubleshooting. He only gets component output from 1 of 3 arcade PCBs. He hasn't tried anything else. Plug in the composite video cable and see if you get an image. We are trying to determine if the problem is the TV, the PCB, or the Supergun.

On that note, check your voltage levels on the JAMMA edge.

jew90

Geese's Thug
If you want the 'best' picture why not get a cheap PVM monitor or CRT that will take an RGB signal, you won't need to do any conversion then.

Depending on what CRT you use you may need resistors in the RGB / SYNC lines but picture will be about as good as you'll get!

With regards to your convertor, It does sound like it could well be a problem with the SYNC signal not being comptaible with your encoder. Like Hewiston said, The LM1881 is a good starting point, there cheap too.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Three things that could alleviate the problems:

1. A Jrok encoder instead of a Neobitz.
2. A sync cleaner.
3. And old 4:3 CRT TV.

Try to make the Neobitz work, after that I recommend all three above.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Neobitz component circuit is better than the JROK. JROK is too saturated in color on the component circuit. You can fix it by changing resistor/cap combos but they are surface mount and you need to know what value would be good. I've owed both encoders and can atest to which is better compatibility and picture wise.

If you run a Neobitz it works at it's best with a sync cleaner. Stephen just email me if you need one installed.

Only the JROK composite/s-video circuit has better compatibility.