Arcade Game PCB Question in MVS CAB.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Arcade Game PCB Question in MVS CAB.

Someone asked me today if I could play an Arcade PCB/board like Pac-Man or....in my 4 slot Neo Geo cab.
I know nothing about switching Boards..or the details of this..
I really had no answer to his question and it has me wondering.

Can someone tell me at least "one" Arcade game/board that I could just plug into the Cab and play without making any changes.

Just Plug and Play..
Is it possible..?And is it very simple to do..?

Thanks...

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I had to explain to my two uncles about this, I'll write down basically what I tell them:

Almost any game made after 1989 with three or less buttons and one joystick per player (2 players total, no trackballs or anything extra) will work. Vertical games will not work well on my arcade cab unless you turn it sideways wink . Older games, like Frogger, Galaga, Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong require a converter board in order to work on my arcade machine.

Hope this helps a bit.

<small>[ May 27, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: DanAdamKOF ]</small>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Four issues.

1. JAMMA compliance. Early boarsets like the ones you mention are not JAMMA so would require a convertor or some kind of hack.

2. Dedicated MVS 4 slot cabs are wired for stereo sound from the jamma edge connect. Standard jamma boardsets output mono from here. So the speakers will need to be rewired.

3.Power supply requirements. Some boards (like MK series) require -5 volts. MVS does not.

4. CRT orientation. The big red US mvs cabs have the crt fixed horizontally. Some other dedicated mvs cabs like my Australian model allows the crt to be rotated 90 deg so its not a problem with those cabs.

<small>[ May 27, 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</small>

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
These guys got it pretty well covered.

Best starting point is KLOV - look up the game you are interested in and check the conversion class. If it is Jamma, you are most of the way there.

Making a converter is not too hard. I have one done, I just need to post the details.

I have a project on my site for adding the -5V line it is pretty simple.

You will get arguments on if you need to rewire the speakers - just know that the safest bet is "Yes".

Phantom

n00b
ttooddddyy:
Four issues.
2. Dedicated MVS 4 slot cabs are wired for stereo sound from the jamma edge connect. Standard jamma boardsets output mono from here. So the speakers will need to be rewired.
Yeah. One of the easiest ways of doing this is to simply install a switch to change between MVS and JAMMA sound wiring.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
there are a few fingerboards that convert old stuff to Jamma on the market now , there is also a Jamma repop of Pac-Man { I think they are anyway } and I believe Ms.Pac ,I think they are called anniversary boards or something along those lines ? Like the new combo boards used in the Ms.Pac/Galaga and Missle Command/Millipede cabs.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
As most PSUs have -5V it's not that hard to just add an extra wire to the jamma loom, unless they've pulled out the pin from the jamma connector that is. But spares are availible for som models at least.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Briggs:
These guys got it pretty well covered.

You will get arguments on if you need to rewire the speakers - just know that the safest bet is "Yes".
With all respect to other opinion Briggs, I for one, am not convinced by the argument. I go with you on this issue.
Been there, done that.

<small>[ May 28, 2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</small>

Asure

Captain Dick,
If you ever feel like adding a switch, here's how to do it. In the picture(see link) there are two switches at the top of the screen. It's actually one SPDT switch with 6 terminals on it, but i drew it this way, so it looked easier :)

<a href="http://www.jamma.nl/gallery/album03/aae" target="_blank">Jamma mono / MVS stereo switch</a>

- Alex

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
DanAdamKOF:
I had to explain to my two uncles about this, I'll write down basically what I tell them:

Almost any game made after 1989 with three or less buttons and one joystick per player (2 players total, no trackballs or anything extra) will work. Vertical games will not work well on my arcade cab unless you turn it sideways wink . Older games, like Frogger, Galaga, Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong require a converter board in order to work on my arcade machine.

Hope this helps a bit.
Almost any game made after 1989 with three or less buttons and one joystick per player (2
I'm confused..I don't understand this stuff very well.
Give me one name of a game that I could pull my plug off of the MVS board and plug in and play..
Anything..

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
Briggs:
Best starting point is KLOV - look up the game you are interested in and check the conversion class. If it is Jamma, you are most of the way there.
Any Jamma game should work as they are 3 buttons or less (for the most part). The only issue you will have is the sound, and depending on who you ask that is not much of an issue.

The wiring diagram above with the resistor is the safest way to go.

JulianoP

n00b
What about if you try to run a pcb lets say ROBOCOP for example which is mono, will the game not work at all or will it just have no sound.Can some please explain more how to convert to mono jamma some links etc....not quite able to understand the pic above.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I just plug a Raiden2 board set into a dedicated six slot cab and get perfect sound from L & R channels.
Able to adjust the level through each speaker using the two cab pots.
Shoots down what Ive said before. No distortion or overheating of the audio output IC.
I swear Ive had problems in the past, maybe Raiden is stereo through the edge connect, maybe a jamma+ ??? About to try something else.

Chopper two= sound trough L channel distorted with buzz.
Powerspikes= sound through L cannel perfect.
R-Type(boot)= sound through R channel perfect.
(these boards work perfectly in a standard jamma cab)

The test is inconclusive :(

Check the wiring here
<a href="http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf</a>

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
tried an altered beast, burned out the sound amp that way.

Easiest way to conver for sound, the two speakers have wires to ground, merely remove from ground and have the two speakers as series going, that will work best. I had a stereo/mono switch set that way.

at home, its a mv1FZ, mono madness :)