What is it like to work for SNKP...

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
A former SNKP employee has been tweeting about his time at SNKP. It is in Japanese, but some of it has been translated most of it revolves around the porting of KOF XII.

http://twitter.com/boxerprogrammer

here are the translated ones
"Around the end of the development period, I was sleeping under my desk with a towel rolled around me, laying on newspaper. It's just memories now, like the way how I almost caught a cold with the air conditioner on while asleep, or like how I hit my head on my desk when I woke up. XII's console [development] period was seriously really bad."

He avoids directly naming his ex-company, but there's quite a number of entries about the workplace and its treatment. Like the way how his supervisor ordered his staff to work on a sleepover for a full week without letting them go home (note: the company doesn't have a shower room). Or like in another instance, how he wasn't allowed to even get a replacement for a very unconfortable chair and had to wait for another staff to quit so he could swap it. The company simply seems to be tight on money.

I symphasize with the programmer. He very obviously loves coding, enough that he'd buy expensive reference books on his own money since his company isn't willing to pick up the expense.

For anyone nutty enough to scroll all the way to the end of September to read some entries of what seems to be about XIII's home port situation, feel free.

Some snippets, but not all, are provided below. The figures sound small, and I assume that he's just talking in terms of the number of programmers... or is he. Either way, it can somewhat explain the bad net code in XII.

"It seems like the rest has to be done by two staffs and one part-timer at my company too.. I guess there's a lot of projects like that." *1

"I had quit without worrying because they were saying that the home port is going to be outsourced" *

"I heard later that they were going to do it in-house, and I'm left feeling like, wait what...?" *3

"Just to add, the previous home version for the PS3 and Xbox360 was developed with 5 people, so as a company, they might have been thinking that "it's no problem if just one or two people left." Acheiving results is important, but I don't like the idea that we had set a weird previous example..." *4

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Capcom:

Please buy this company. People still care about the IPs and will support good games that use them.

Thanks,

Taiso

P.S. I am aware that Capcom is a corporation and you can probably draw parallels between their bullshit human resource policies and SNK-P's. I work for a major Japanese electronics manufacturer myself, and I can sort of relate, on some level, to the logistical fuckery that takes place therein. But when SNK-P can't even afford to provide a comfortable work environment for its employees, especially when the work is of a sedentary nature, it is beyond redemption.

P.S.S. I haven't bagged on SNK-P in a while. Reading this created an urge within me to do so. I'll still buy the products and hope for the best, just like I always do. And I'll still complain when I feel the need to, just like I always do. 'Be nicer to SNK-P' is not one of my new year's resolutions.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I really do not understand why this programmer doesn't join NG: DEV team ;)

Seriously, if we're talking about SNKp'... what do they do with the money they earn with the console ports/wii VC?

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Capcom: Please buy this company.

Well, that pretty much sumed it all up. I've been saying the same thing for years now. P seems to be running on fumes. It takes real stuborness and ineptitude to sit on such content/I.P.'s and un-used/un-released code (MOTW 2/Last Blade 3) and not due much with them while they slowly loose validity and profitability in the market place. Capcom buying them and utilizing thier I.P.'s to the fullest would probably be a home run.

I'm not sure a more healthy game developer is all that much better. You get 50 people sleeping under their desks and not 5, basically.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Well, that pretty much sumed it all up. I've been saying the same thing for years now. P seems to be running on fumes. It takes real stuborness and ineptitude to sit on such content/I.P.'s and un-used/un-released code (MOTW 2/Last Blade 3) and not due much with them while they slowly loose validity and profitability in the market place. Capcom buying them and utilizing thier I.P.'s to the fullest would probably be a home run.

I don't see Capcom doing any better with these IP's lol

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I don't see Capcom doing any better with these IP's lol

Care to back this up?

What commercially succesfull, mainstream, lucrative properties/series does P have?....none.
What funds does P have in the resereves to put towards properties they have that have a longstanding fan base and can bring them signifigant profits & sale rates....not much.
Does P seem to have any desire to release code to unreleased games that thier fans have wanted for years?

Capcom could turn that all around.
- Street Fighter, MvsC , and many other show this. THey at least attempt to do a solid job serving both thier casual and devoted fans and the results show this.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Capcom could turn that all around.
- Street Fighter, MvsC , and many other show this.

many others like what?

Edit:

I'm not saying Capcom isn't a more capable company. I just meant that Capcom is more likely to ignore these IP's.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
But are they going to bother releasing another Last Blade, or completing MotW2? That was my point.

hitorkori

Cheng's Errand Boy
rather capcom then anyone else err sammy arc system ...............EErm

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
If capcom did nothing but cash in from re-releasing games on online services, at least they would have playable netcode and land on every console.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I can't believe there are people out there that think Capcom buying SNK wouldn't be a good thing for the SNK IPs.

I'm not going to argue the point in yet another thread. Been there, done that. I'm just going to imperiously and obtusely say if you disagree, you're wrong.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Keep in mind that I've never said these franchises are currently in good hands with SNKP. It's just that I believe if Capcom bought SNKP, don't expect a magical revival of Last Blade, MotW, Real Bout, World Heroes .... etc.

I agree that Capcom would have handled the ports much better now, but again, don't expect any new releases. It took them 8 years to decide to make a new release of their most popular fighting franchise.

And let's see what other fighting games they came up with after this release:

- Tatsunoko vs Capcom
- Super Street Fighter 4
- MvC3
- Street Fighter vs Tekken

All of which use almost the exact same formula of SF4. 2.5D fighter with SF characters thrown in them.

At least SNKP has been showing some improvements. From MUGEN quality games, to KOFXI and NGBC, to KOF12 and now KOF13, which is arguably as good as any SNK-era fighter, while still being 2D. And even if the home port ended up with a horrible netcode, I would still get that over seeing KOF turning into an SF clone.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
But are they going to bother releasing another Last Blade, or completing MotW2? That was my point.

They (Capcom) made NES sequals Mega Man 9 & 10 for the wii VC over the last 2 years. TRUE FUCKING NES GAME SEQUALS DECADES LATER (and even put out that MM9 NES packaging press kit") all for the sake of fan service. You put 2 and 2 together.

Even if they left Last Blade 3 & MOTW 2 in the vault, they could still use most of all of SNK's properties in new content that appeals to both new and old fan bases.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
They (Capcom) made NES sequals Mega Man 9 & 10 for the wii VC over the last 2 years. TRUE FUCKING NES GAME SEQUALS DECADES LATER (and even put out that MM9 NES packaging press kit") all for the sake of fan service. You put 2 and 2 together.

Even if they left Last Blade 3 & MOTW 2 in the vault, they could still use most of all of SNK's properties in new content that appeals to both new and old fan bases.

He shoots! He scores!

I don't fucking care if we ever see another KOF, SS, AOF, FF, Garou or LB again.

I want the CHARACTERS to be treated well at this point.

At this stage, I care more about the legacies of the characters and what they mean to video games than the actual games themselves.

If I want to play good KOF games, I already have a ton of those. Same with all the other franchises.

But a new fighting game series that might have a roster with Terry, Ryo, Kyo and Rock as staple characters, mixed with Capcom faves?

THAT is what matters to me at this point. Being able to see new iterations of old favorites for their preservation and continuation.

If Capcom decided to go the Mega Man 9 and 10 route with the SNK IPs, that would be sweet as well. You can always sell niche product to niche fans, at reduced costs for big profits. And unlike SNK, Capcom acutally knows how to SELL the product and has the clout and dollars to do so.

And I bet their office chairs are more comfy, too.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
He shoots! He scores!

I don't fucking care if we ever see another KOF, SS, AOF, FF, Garou or LB again.

I want the CHARACTERS to be treated well at this point.

At this stage, I care more about the legacies of the characters and what they mean to video games than the actual games themselves.

If I want to play good KOF games, I already have a ton of those. Same with all the other franchises.

But a new fighting game series that might have a roster with Terry, Ryo, Kyo and Rock as staple characters, mixed with Capcom faves?

THAT is what matters to me at this point. Being able to see new iterations of old favorites for their preservation and continuation.

If Capcom decided to go the Mega Man 9 and 10 route with the SNK IPs, that would be sweet as well. You can always sell niche product to niche fans, at reduced costs for big profits. And unlike SNK, Capcom acutally knows how to SELL the product and has the clout and dollars to do so.

And I bet their office chairs are more comfy, too.
exactly. SNK-P needs the resources of a large company like Capcom. SNK would end up being a small developer that would make some small niche titles for XBLA and PSN with the occasional big title every year or so.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I can't believe there are people out there that think Capcom buying SNK wouldn't be a good thing for the SNK IPs.

I'm not going to argue the point in yet another thread. Been there, done that. I'm just going to imperiously and obtusely say if you disagree, you're wrong.

Personally I think it would be a mistake. Capcom is a company focused solely on making money. Playmore's products have not turned a significant profit in quite a while and the ones that did are KOF and Metal Slug.

Think of how Ono has been working so hard on trying to get the Darkstalkers series off the ground again. Also think of how long Street Fighter IV was a joke cause the INITIAL sales of Street Fighter III were a failure despite having such a fanbase so popular that 3rd Strike was one of the most popular games at the arcade 10 years after it was made.

Think of how long Marvel vs Capcom 2 was popular out here still getting tournament plays & having a wide spread fanbase and it took 11 years to churn out a sequel to that.

Now look at the properties of SNK/Playmore. King of Fighters is only so-so making money. KOF 2002 Unlimited Match way outsold King of Fighters XII (which the money was sunk into). Metal Slug is nowadays a novelty game for the portable systems. It was amazing Metal Slug XX got a release on xbox arcade.

Samurai Shodown Sen was a major flop so I'm sure Capcom will look at that.

All other properties have not seen the light of day since the 1990's. Not too good for a company looking not to waste money on something.

Personally I would root for Sega/Sammy to get Playmore. Sammy is full of former SNK employees and they would be more inclined to release some of the older titles since I'm sure many remember working on them.

Though all of this I am not 100% sure about. For my experience it would be impossible to get an extra penny out of the owner's @$$ during restructuring of a company (like when you lose the president of it). I'm not saying it isn't bad, but I would like to know more info before declaring Playmore on life support.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Sega/Sammy owning SNK-P's IPs=no thanks.

aria

Former Moderator
LOL, not all that surprising considering the quality of their output.

Capcom would do what any smart corporation would do: milk and exploit a few key IPs and let the rest fall to shit. This is about yen, not altruism.