Phantom-1 thoughts?

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'm in the process of purchasing a Phantom-1 converter (for obvious reasons). I was curious about its reliability as I've heard stories of some games not working while others constantly play glitchy? Is this due to an older converter perhaps?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I had one a while back. Unfortunately I believe it has a design flaw, in that it requires extremely tight slots in the home cart system to work, and also MVS carts take far too much force to put onto the adapter. I believe that these issues could have been resolved in the design so that MVS carts would fit comfortably on it, and the adapter would fit (and work) in any home cart system. Although I had the slots replaced on one of my home cart systems to get the adapter to work, they ended up being so tight that the system was really only good for the Phantom 1, so I sold it off (both the system and the adapter).

Magician

20 Year Member
Originally posted by chimpmeister:
<strong>I had one a while back. Unfortunately I believe it has a design flaw, in that it requires extremely tight slots in the home cart system to work, and also MVS carts take far too much force to put onto the adapter. I believe that these issues could have been resolved in the design so that MVS carts would fit comfortably on it, and the adapter would fit (and work) in any home cart system. Although I had the slots replaced on one of my home cart systems to get the adapter to work, they ended up being so tight that the system was really only good for the Phantom 1, so I sold it off (both the system and the adapter).</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is a cause for concern :( Perhaps I should go with the Sigma 7000 instead? I'm confused on what the Sigma does. Is like a home console in that it can play MVS on my television? Or is it another motherboard for a home-made cab?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
The Sigma 7000 is a supergun-type device. It allows you to connect any jamma compatible arcade PCBs (including the Neo Geo MVS motherboards) to a TV and play the games. The 1-slot MVS board that includes joystick ports, headphone jack, and volume controls is the best board to use with the Sigma. Also, the Sigma can be used to connect many other jamma boards to your TV, which is cool. Given the choice, I'd get that over the Phantom-1 in a heartbeat . . . from what I have heard, the video quality of the Sigma 7000 is far above the crappy video from the MAS Super Nova and the horrible GW Trading HGA systems.

Magician

20 Year Member
Originally posted by chimpmeister:
<strong>The Sigma 7000 is a supergun-type device. It allows you to connect any jamma compatible arcade PCBs (including the Neo Geo MVS motherboards) to a TV and play the games. The 1-slot MVS board that includes joystick ports, headphone jack, and volume controls is the best board to use with the Sigma. Also, the Sigma can be used to connect many other jamma boards to your TV, which is cool. Given the choice, I'd get that over the Phantom-1 in a heartbeat . . . from what I have heard, the video quality of the Sigma 7000 is far above the crappy video from the MAS Super Nova and the horrible GW Trading HGA systems.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, let me get this all straight. I'd have to buy the Sigma + any slot# motherboard that I want in order to play MVS carts without actually building my own Super Gun or buying a cab. And that's all that I need are the Sigma & motherboard and nothing else to start playing. Is that correct?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've always wondered this (this is gonna sound like a dumb question), but what the hell is jamma? what does pcb stand for? what does all this do? i know nothing of arcade shit :(

bugula

Member,
Originally posted by SonGohan:
<strong>I've always wondered this (this is gonna sound like a dumb question), but what the hell is jamma? what does pcb stand for? what does all this do? i know nothing of arcade shit :( </strong><hr></blockquote>

i asked Drift King EX this same question a few months ago. he told me that it's just a type of slang that was used to shorten "Jam on it" back in the 80's. apparently the cool thing to say when someone was racking points on a machine was "He's jamming on it.," etc. so they just called it Jamma for short.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I'm sure I'll get corrected if wrong, but...

Japanese
Amusement
Machine
Manufacturers
Association

This became the name for the standard edge connector for all arcade PCB's (Printed Circuit Boards), which was adopted about 1986-1987. I believe Konami invented the standard. This allowed operators to change boards in cabinets a hell of a lot easier, by having ONE universal wire harness in their machines that would allow for easy connection to the power supply, speakers, controls, etc.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
nm, I pulled my head out of my ass and remembered about the glossary

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</p>

Magician

20 Year Member
Well...after spending the time considering both options I've decided to go with the converter. Of the two choices the converter is the more affordable choice. I can also continue to play my AES carts(where as I considered to dumb all AES stuff if I got the Sigma/PCB). With the converter comes less hassle in case the product fails for any reason. As Ray at !Arcade! pointed out - I'd have to deal with the makers of the Sigma in JPN if the unit ever broke down, F that. Besides, in the end I love my AES too much to let it go. Mmmm...I can taste the MVS goodness already :D

elric2077

n00b
Good choice!

I've just receive mine, and it's like a dream commes true! :D
No probs to connect the converter on my AES (slides like a soap), and the MVS's cart is a little jam but no big deal!