What is the average amprage and/or wattage used by superguns and cabs?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Everything comes down to what you are playing on your supergun. Some PCBs only pull 20 watts where others pull 42+ watts.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
360 - 185W
Wii - 18W
PS3 - 195W

Possibly later console revisions/simple games draw less, but still 360/PS3 are eating more power than most full cabs (unless it has crazy audio amplification).

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
360 - 185W
Wii - 18W
PS3 - 195W

Possibly later console revisions/simple games draw less, but still 360/PS3 are eating more power than most full cabs (unless it has crazy audio amplification).
Shows how shit the design of the 360 and PS3 is. No wonder they always overheat.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Everything comes down to what you are playing on your supergun. Some PCBs only pull 20 watts where others pull 42+ watts.

NeoGeo 4 slotter, running off this power supply, or alternatively, any CPS1/CPS2 compatable MB.

Also, does not include the monitor: either 27' CRT @100~110W or 21' LCD @60~65W

I have a specific reason for asking.
I'm planning to get a Kill-a-watt, but I want some data for a baseline before I start measuring for hard numbers.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
NeoGeo 4 slotter, running off this power supply, or alternatively, any CPS1/CPS2 compatable MB.

Also, does not include the monitor: either 27' CRT @100~110W or 21' LCD @60~65W

I have a specific reason for asking.
I'm planning to get a Kill-a-watt, but I want some data for a baseline before I start measuring for hard numbers.

Usually the PSU in a cab only powers the board, audio and lighting from what I remember. The Monitor uses a separate power supply if I remember correctly.

Plus most LCD monitors require a juicy +12v power supply (3A) so I doubt you can run a sound amp and LCD off the +12v line of that PSU.

I'm not a cab expert at all but as far as powering it you should use a separate PSU for the LCD.

As for the 4 slot, if you load it with high meg games (4 x 500+) it should be a max of 6A on the +5v line. MKL ran a test with a mix of games in all 4 slots and it pulled 5.12A and it was on an MV4, MV4T may be different but I don't think by much. And don't forget the audio amp usually pulls 1A on the +12v line. So it should be a max of 42watts.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
360 - 185W
Wii - 18W
PS3 - 195W

I'm not suprised at the 360 since it's a american piece of garbage but that PS3 number really suprises me. I'm assuming this is the fat ps3 not the slim correct? Even so, it makes me question the engineering of it :annoyed:

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yeah probably first model. If you look at the power rating on the PS3, I read it was like 3##W for the maximum draw. This BTW is the average consumption, there are peaks and dips (I guess on the title screens lol).

It's not really the engineering, modern consoles are just full on computers now. All of the following weren't big issues in the old days but today really add up:

- high speed oscillators
- massive chip's leakage current
- massive parallel chip's switching current (today a lot more of a chip is in use at a time)
- multiple processors, some with multiple cores
- obscene amount of DRAM
- hard drives
- fans
- optical drives (I dunno how much they draw but probably a couple retro consoles put together)

3 USB ports on a console today could power an AES no problem.