Z80 SMD source

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
The FZ single slots use an SMD version of the Z80. The device is a TMPZ 84C00M.

Anyone know where to get these ?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Sorry man... I've been scouring surplus places in Silicon Valley for a few years and haven't found 'em yet.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Would it be possible to retrofit a replacement chip similar to the way you'd do a unibios on a MV-1C. It looks like the pads on the smd version would be big enough.

You know, desolder the smd one, solder wires onto the pads and match em up with those on a non smd version.

I'd be interested to see if this is possible.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Digikey has a bunch of z80s in stock. I don't know the package on the FZ but they have 44 and 80 qfp packages for sale.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
See no reason why you could not wire a DIP Z80 in - lots of work though.

Will check out Digikey.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Would it be possible to retrofit a replacement chip similar to the way you'd do a unibios on a MV-1C. It looks like the pads on the smd version would be big enough.

You know, desolder the smd one, solder wires onto the pads and match em up with those on a non smd version.

I'd be interested to see if this is possible.
Of course it's possible. However the wires would need to be really short, and it'd look a real ugly mess.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Hey ttooddddyy,

Not sure if it's exactly the same package (I don't have a Neo Geo board here to compare it with) but the Sega Game Gear has the T84C00AM in it which is a tiny version too.

RJ

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I sent Jian at buyicnow a pic of the Z80 from the FZ and he emailed me back saying he does have them and will let me know when it's on the site.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Thanks for the link XX
That is the very Z80 smd device used on the FZ board, I will make contact and order some.
The frequency will not be critical for a MVS mobo.