If you had to choose one,What would it be..MOTW or RBFF2..?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
If you had to choose one,What would it be..MOTW or RBFF2..?

Why?

I have both,but I'm looking for opinions on them.

MOTW was my favorite for awhile but I'm sorta liking RBFF2 more now..

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
RBFF2, by a long shot. Characters have more variety in the way they are controlled, plus the system rules. RB2 just kicks ass.. so much ass..

slerch666

updyke,
I couldn't really get into RBFF2. I'm not sure why though, it didn't seem like it was that bad, it just didn't excite me.

I guess MOTW wins by default. I really like the animation on MOTW and the music is top notch as well. The only problem I had with it is having to actually be GOOD at the game to get a real ending...

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
RBFF2 is the only Garou game I sold. Just didn't like it.

Frame Gride

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
deff MOTW i loved the animation but i have yet to play rbff2 so u could say im a little biased.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
MotW.

why?

cuz then you got RBFFS. buttrock if only it had rick though.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
sonic1687:
MotW.

why?

cuz then you got RBFFS. buttrock if only it had rick though.
I don't even see rick as a big loss.

For those of use playing RB since 1995, RB2 was just a major let down.

Let's see...
lack of between fight action, prefight action, story, endings, and same sprites from RBFFS.

Why not just stick with RBFFS? You get the very convenient EX characters for those that liked the RBFF/FF3 revisions, and the most incredible looking Geese in all SNK'dom. Moreover, the best version of Mai by a longshot.

MotW may not be the best game for everyone, but it is the most true sequel of any series out there. Completely new sprites for every character, including Terry, who needed a makeover after 9 years in the red jacket. There si no other game that can be a surrogate, unlike RBFF2 which you can always play the superior RBFFS instead of.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Mark of the Wolves.

I like the character roster, and the gameplay is just so smooth and balanced. Plus it has Tizoc. Every game should have Tizoc. buttrock

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
EvilWasabi:

Let's see...
lack of between fight action, prefight action, story, endings, and same sprites from RBFFS.

Why not just stick with RBFFS? You get the very convenient EX characters for those that liked the RBFF/FF3 revisions, and the most incredible looking Geese in all SNK'dom. Moreover, the best version of Mai by a longshot.

MotW may not be the best game for everyone, but it is the most true sequel of any series out there. Completely new sprites for every character, including Terry, who needed a makeover after 9 years in the red jacket. There si no other game that can be a surrogate, unlike RBFF2 which you can always play the superior RBFFS instead of.
I have to disagree. You're basically knocking RB2 for not being RBS, save sprites. I love RB2, it's fast-paced and there's no time in between fights for your blood to simmer down. Every now and then I have a craving to go back and forth between each game because each has a different feel.

I can't agree that MOTW was a true sequel either. The Garou series prided itself on being a different fighter, whereas games like SF received little upgrades with each game, and many years down the road it still didn't play extremely different from the original installment. If you play MOTW, it's extremely obvious that it's a simple man's SF3. Easy supers that are the same for everybody with 2 levels, with a few sprinkles here and there, and an idiot's parry (Just Defend).

Garou went from being a different, enjoyable fighter to being a Street Fighter clone, which it prided itself from not being, even in the heat of the battle between the two companies in the heyday.

That's neither here nor there. It isn't about RB2 vs RBS, or MOTW vs SF3, it's about just the two games on their own two feet, and it's hard for me to believe somebody that has spent a lot of time with the system & games would prefer MOTW over RB2. Would you go into detail about your decision to pick MOTW over the other? I mean, hey, I'm not jumping all over you or your opinion, but I'm curious to know why. If you don't feel like typing up a huge thing about it, that's cool too.

<small>[ April 24, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: SonGohan ]</small>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
SonGohan:
EvilWasabi:

Let's see...

I have to disagree. You're basically knocking RB2 for not being RBS, save sprites. I love RB2, it's fast-paced and there's no time in between fights for your blood to simmer down. Every now and then I have a craving to go back and forth between each game because each has a different feel.

I can't agree that MOTW was a true sequel either. The Garou series prided itself on being a different fighter, whereas games like SF received little upgrades with each game, and many years down the road it still didn't play extremely different from the original installment. If you play MOTW, it's extremely obvious that it's a simple man's SF3. Easy supers that are the same for everybody with 2 levels, with a few sprinkles here and there, and an idiot's parry (Just Defend).

Garou went from being a different, enjoyable fighter to being a Street Fighter clone, which it prided itself from not being, even in the heat of the battle between the two companies in the heyday.

That's neither here nor there. It isn't about RB2 vs RBS, or MOTW vs SF3, it's about just the two games on their own two feet, and it's hard for me to believe somebody that has spent a lot of time with the system & games would prefer MOTW over RB2. Would you go into detail about your decision to pick MOTW over the other? I mean, hey, I'm not jumping all over you or your opinion, but I'm curious to know why. If you don't feel like typing up a huge thing about it, that's cool too.
on the contrary, RB2 is so much like RBS that it's just not worth looking at. The differences were omissions. That's why it was so poorly recieved on release. People were hoping for something new - instead they got RBS with 2 new characters, half the win poses, and no endings.

Mark of the Wolves, on the other hand, is completeness. You get all the animation, all the fresh new characters, and endings. The movelists aren't chain-combo dependent like in the real bout series, nor do you have to deal with line fighting. I can deal with that in the Real Bout games, but I don't like line fighting, and I particularly don't dig chain combo dependent fighting because I can't remember them for each character like I can remember moves. So between MotW and RB2, yes, MotW by a mile. Maybe if the programmers spent more time with RB2 instead of releasing it at 80% - maybe then it would be a better game. But it's not. And I feel it every time a round ends. And I feel it when I play as Mai. And I feel it when I beat the game, because the endings just aren't there.

RB2 isn't crap though. Just not what it should have been. It wasn't a leap over RBS that I was hoping for. To understand that is to know why RB2 isn't as good as MotW - MotW delivered. RB2 did not.

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
RB2... by far.

Easily my favorite fighter of all time (possibly my favorite GAME of all time), it's no contest in my book.

MoTW is just... oh_no

I've made numerous posts about MoTW in the past, so I'll refrain from getting into it again here. Let's just say I find it to be HIGHLY overrated in just about every aspect.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Real Bout Maniac:
RB2... by far.

Easily my favorite fighter of all time (possibly my favorite GAME of all time), it's no contest in my book.

MoTW is just... oh_no

I've made numerous posts about MoTW in the past, so I'll refrain from getting into it again here. Let's just say I find it to be HIGHLY overrated in just about every aspect.
Do you think that it's because MotW is "overrated" and more appealign to the general fans that you're turned off by it, while RB2, which is rather unheralded, is like your underdog favorite?

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
EvilWasabi:
Real Bout Maniac:
RB2... by far.

MoTW is just... oh_no

Do you think that it's because MotW is "overrated" and more appealign to the general fans that you're turned off by it, while RB2, which is rather unheralded, is like your underdog favorite?
Not in the least. I much preferred RB2 even before I was a part of this board, so I can't really say I was influenced one way or the other.

In fact, I was really excited when I first learned about Garou, and even enjoyed it for a while once I first got it.

However, the more I played it, the more I came to dislike it. Other than one or two characters, I find the roster just boring, with many rip-offs of other Fatal Fury, and other SNK, characters. If you're going to create all new characters, that's one thing; but don't simply give us "different" versions of already pre-existing characters and try to pass it off as a whole new cast.

The graphics as well, while well done, don't fit the style of Fatal Fury at all. I find them to be a direct rip-off of the one found in the Last Blade series (one comparrison of Rock and Awakened Kaede should be enough, but there are actually numerous examples). This really isn't surprising, as to the best of my knowledge MoTW was developed by the same team that did the LB titles. However, I really feel they should have just expanded upon, and refined the already established art style found in the Fatal Fury games, or at the very least developed a totally new graphical look (if they were trying to distance themselves from the previous titles), not simply copy from a different series altogether.

Most disappointing to me is the engine itself. I find it slow, dull, and far too reliant on being able to use "break" moves in order to come up with good combos. I miss the fast paced excitement that we'd come to expect from the RB titles.

So, while others may like the title, and find enjoyment in it, I can't stand it for more than a short game here and there. I think what gets me most upset is that, because of all the (undeserved) hype that Garou gets, the chances of us seeing a true Fatal Fury or Real Bout sequel are greatly diminished, which is something I find pretty disheartening.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Real Bout Maniac:
EvilWasabi:
Real Bout Maniac:
RB2... by far.

MoTW is just... oh_no

Not in the least. I much preferred RB2 even before I was a part of this board, so I can't really say I was influenced one way or the other.

In fact, I was really excited when I first learned about Garou, and even enjoyed it for a while once I first got it.

However, the more I played it, the more I came to dislike it. Other than one or two characters, I find the roster just boring, with many rip-offs of other Fatal Fury, and other SNK, characters. If you're going to create all new characters, that's one thing; but don't simply give us "different" versions of already pre-existing characters and try to pass it off as a whole new cast.

The graphics as well, while well done, don't fit the style of Fatal Fury at all. I find them to be a direct rip-off of the one found in the Last Blade series (one comparrison of Rock and Awakened Kaede should be enough, but there are actually numerous examples). This really isn't surprising, as to the best of my knowledge MoTW was developed by the same team that did the LB titles. However, I really feel they should have just expanded upon, and refined the already established art style found in the Fatal Fury games, or at the very least developed a totally new graphical look (if they were trying to distance themselves from the previous titles), not simply copy from a different series altogether.

Most disappointing to me is the engine itself. I find it slow, dull, and far too reliant on being able to use "break" moves in order to come up with good combos. I miss the fast paced excitement that we'd come to expect from the RB titles.

So, while others may like the title, and find enjoyment in it, I can't stand it for more than a short game here and there. I think what gets me most upset is that, because of all the (undeserved) hype that Garou gets, the chances of us seeing a true Fatal Fury or Real Bout sequel are greatly diminished, which is something I find pretty disheartening.
I really doubt there would be another real bout - but I'll not say the same about a MotW sequel. MotW is/was more widely applicable to the fighting game scene.

And I don't think that characters were rip offs from previous Garou Densetsu games (Freeman, Jenet, Hokutomaru, Gatou, Hotaru, Tizoc, Kevin Rian, Kain - completely fresh IMO, and quite cool). The only peoplet hat seemed to be throw back characters were Terry, the Kims, Marco, and Grant (loose throwback to Franco, again IMO).

There had to be a reason MotW got a port made from it, Real Bout Special and Real Bout got ports, but Real Bout 2 got stuck on Neo hardware. Again, Real Bout 2 isn't shit, but it just wasn't too great, and SNK made that clear by not releasing it on the PSX or Saturn like they did with every other profitable game in their library.

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
EvilWasabi:
Real Bout Maniac:
EvilWasabi:
Real Bout Maniac:
RB2... by far.

MoTW is just... oh_no

I really doubt there would be another real bout - but I'll not say the same about a MotW sequel. MotW is/was more widely applicable to the fighting game scene.

And I don't think that characters were rip offs from previous Garou Densetsu games (Freeman, Jenet, Hokutomaru, Gatou, Hotaru, Tizoc, Kevin Rian, Kain - completely fresh IMO, and quite cool). The only peoplet hat seemed to be throw back characters were Terry, the Kims, Marco, and Grant (loose throwback to Franco, again IMO).

There had to be a reason MotW got a port made from it, Real Bout Special and Real Bout got ports, but Real Bout 2 got stuck on Neo hardware. Again, Real Bout 2 isn't shit, but it just wasn't too great, and SNK made that clear by not releasing it on the PSX or Saturn like they did with every other profitable game in their library.
That's what I mean - because of all the attention MoTW gets, we're more likely to see a sequal to that rather than either Fatal Fury 4 or Real Bout 3 (both of which are titles far more deserving, IMO).

As far as characters, to the list you made I'd also say that Hokutomaru is simply an amalgam of Mai and Andy. Tizoc, B. Jenet, Gato, Kain, Hotaru, and Kevin were all new characters - I just didn't find them particularly interesting; B. Jenet was the best of the bunch, but even there... And while not directly a rip-off, for some reason Freemans design reminded me a lot of Iori, who I can't stand, and that was enough to turn me off right there! wink

And your point about ports really isn't all too valid. Firstly, I don't remember seeing a port for the original Real Bout (there might be, I just don't remember one). Also, until recently, Samurai Shodown II never had a port (not until the Samurai Fencing Pack IIRC), and many games that are the best the Neo has to offer, such as the awesome Ninja Masters, Blazing Star, or even Kizuna Encounter (which I personally don't think is as good as people make it out to be), never received ports. So to simply say that a game is good because it was ported isn't really a justifiable point. My understanding is that neither RB2 nor MoTW were that great in terms of money earnings - MoTW especially I remember hearing did dismally in the arcades.

Again, I could be wrong with this, but the point is that I personally feel that the "greatness" of Garou has been blown way out of proportion.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Between RB2 and MOTW I'd take RB2 hands down.

MOTW just doesn't have the staying power that RB2 has.

Mike

buster_broon

The Rock,
rb2 - plays better and its more fun

and i love the animation between rounds on teh versus page :)

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Real Bout Maniac:
EvilWasabi:
Real Bout Maniac:
EvilWasabi:
Real Bout Maniac:
RB2... by far.

MoTW is just... oh_no

That's what I mean - because of all the attention MoTW gets, we're more likely to see a sequal to that rather than either Fatal Fury 4 or Real Bout 3 (both of which are titles far more deserving, IMO).

As far as characters, to the list you made I'd also say that Hokutomaru is simply an amalgam of Mai and Andy. Tizoc, B. Jenet, Gato, Kain, Hotaru, and Kevin were all new characters - I just didn't find them particularly interesting; B. Jenet was the best of the bunch, but even there... And while not directly a rip-off, for some reason Freemans design reminded me a lot of Iori, who I can't stand, and that was enough to turn me off right there! wink

And your point about ports really isn't all too valid. Firstly, I don't remember seeing a port for the original Real Bout (there might be, I just don't remember one). Also, until recently, Samurai Shodown II never had a port (not until the Samurai Fencing Pack IIRC), and many games that are the best the Neo has to offer, such as the awesome Ninja Masters, Blazing Star, or even Kizuna Encounter (which I personally don't think is as good as people make it out to be), never received ports. So to simply say that a game is good because it was ported isn't really a justifiable point. My understanding is that neither RB2 nor MoTW were that great in terms of money earnings - MoTW especially I remember hearing did dismally in the arcades.

Again, I could be wrong with this, but the point is that I personally feel that the "greatness" of Garou has been blown way out of proportion.
Samurai Shodown II didn't get a port because it was made in SNES time, back in 1994. The SNES couldn't handle a game like SSII. And so it wouldn't be until 1997 that we'd get a port of it, which is quite understandable see as they'd want to port out the current popular games first, then get back to the old but good games. As a tribute to SSII, it was ported 3 years after release. KoF 94, while being a great game, never saw the light of day outside SNK hardware. Probably because SNK felt that the game wouldn't be as lucrative as their ports of KoF 96, KoF 97, etc.

So anyhow, the real insult is that you have Real Bout 2 out, and then you have Real Bout Dominated Mind - which was essentially Real Bout Special, but with White, and Alfred - yeah, they took the secret character from RB2, and brought him to what SNK felt was the more profitable and attactive game - Real Bout Special. Even SNK knew that Real Bout 2 just didn't live up to expectations. But you know, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Some people like the unpolished daimond because they feel it's just theirs and not everyone will love it like they do.

Anyways, Garou is a great series. RB2, while not reaching my hopes for what it could have been, is still a fun game and has some positive aspects. The best things about MotW are - no Tung Fu Rue, no Chin Sinzan, no Jin bros, and no Franco. Oh - and no Laurence Blood. Gawd, last thing a fighter needs is George Michael with a sword. The unfortunate thing about MotW is no Billy, no Geese and no Krauser. Hmmn. Again, opinions. Characters like Tung and Chin I always hated, but not enough to stop playing Real Bout Special, which is a genius game, IMO. So genius that when Real Bout was released, I wondered if SNK really tried to surpass it, or if they just gave up.

BTW- Real Bout Garou Densetsu (1) has a port on the Saturn that I am sure of (comes with ram card), and I think there is a PSX version.

<small>[ April 26, 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: EvilWasabi ]</small>

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
EvilWasabi:
Samurai Shodown II didn't get a port because it was made in SNES time, back in 1994. The SNES couldn't handle a game like SSII. And so it wouldn't be until 1997 that we'd get a port of it, which is quite understandable see as they'd want to port out the current popular games first, then get back to the old but good games. As a tribute to SSII, it was ported 3 years after release. KoF 94, while being a great game, never saw the light of day outside SNK hardware. Probably because SNK felt that the game wouldn't be as lucrative as their ports of KoF 96, KoF 97, etc.

So anyhow, the real insult is that you have Real Bout 2 out, and then you have Real Bout Dominated Mind - which was essentially Real Bout Special, but with White, and Alfred - yeah, they took the secret character from RB2, and brought him to what SNK felt was the more profitable and attactive game - Real Bout Special. Even SNK knew that Real Bout 2 just didn't live up to expectations. But you know, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Some people like the unpolished daimond because they feel it's just theirs and not everyone will love it like they do.

Anyways, Garou is a great series. RB2, while not reaching my hopes for what it could have been, is still a fun game and has some positive aspects. The best things about MotW are - no Tung Fu Rue, no Chin Sinzan, no Jin bros, and no Franco. Oh - and no Laurence Blood. Gawd, last thing a fighter needs is George Michael with a sword. The unfortunate thing about MotW is no Billy, no Geese and no Krauser. Hmmn. Again, opinions. Characters like Tung and Chin I always hated, but not enough to stop playing Real Bout Special, which is a genius game, IMO. So genius that when Real Bout was released, I wondered if SNK really tried to surpass it, or if they just gave up.

BTW- Real Bout Garou Densetsu (1) has a port on the Saturn that I am sure of (comes with ram card), and I think there is a PSX version.
I'll agree with you that RBS is an amazing game. Until I played RB2, it was my favorite of the Garou series.

I just feel that RB2 has a little bit more polish in almost all areas - the graphics, especially in terms of the colors, have a bit more "depth" to them, and the engine has been tweaked just that little bit more.

Sure, there are some things I miss from RBS: some of the special moves that I really liked have been altered, or removed completely for example. But what I DON'T miss is the generic line-sway combo that almost all the characters had in RBS.

A, B, fwd+C, bk+C, special move gets a little boring after a while. At least with RB2 there's a bit more diversity between how each character controls, and I like that variety.

Still, not taking anything away from RBS. Between that and RB2, it really comes down to a matter of preferance.

Either way, both are leagues ahead of MoTW! wink

As an aside, I always wanted to try RBS: Dominated Mind. I've heard nothing but good things about the title, and if I had either a PSX or PS2 capable of playing imports I definately would have hunted that one down by now.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
Real Bout 2

The cast is great, the backgrounds are bright and varied and the music is sublime. Rick was a great addition, and Alfred was introduced. Um, the last time i played it i got an ending, and it was better than the RBS endings of sprite rip with speech bubble.

Freakit

Host for Orochi
if i had to choose then i'd be all 'screw the both of you! i'm gonna play street fighter!' angry

lol loco multi_co