Sam Sho Sen: $11.99

Fett

Camel Slug
SSS is on sale this week for $12 at Best Buy.
I was waiting to find it for ~20, but 12 will do. :D

I gotta say, the game isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I'd still feel ripped off if I had paid 60. The hilarious fatalities alone are worth the 12 bucks.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Got it last month for slightly more than that from Amazon.

It did feel underwhelming, and the characters moves seemed messy. Alas, I really loved the game's settings and new characters. I also think the fatalities were actually very cool.

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
I kind of want to get it, even if the gameplay is bad. Too bad it was only released on the 360. Otherwise I'd probably get it, especially at this price.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I kind of want to get it, even if the gameplay is bad. Too bad it was only released on the 360. Otherwise I'd probably get it, especially at this price.

Yeah, I'd definitely have gotten it if it had been released on something other than 360. In a way, I guess they sort of did me a favor, though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Where does Sen take place in the overall Sam Sho storyline.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I bought it in an online uk store for around 15 dollars some weeks ago. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely a budget title for me though.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Just for the sake of rounding out my SNK collection, might have to snap this one up :mr_t:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Where does Sen take place in the overall Sam Sho storyline.

Sen takes place 44 seconds into Round 2 of an Earthquake vs. Ukyo match held during a period of time between SamSpirits 1 & 2...

...inside the gaseous clouds of an Earthquake phart.

This is why the texture work appears so shitty.

Last edited:

jgusw

n00b
I got it on release day for $40. It's really not that great. At least I didn't pay $60 for it (like I did on KoFXII).

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Can somebody like wasabi or deuce vouch if the game has any redeeming qualities to warrant the $12 price tag?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Can somebody like wasabi or deuce vouch if the game has any redeeming qualities to warrant the $12 price tag?

My hair is as short as Charlie's, and I earned Dean's List honors @ Temple University Japan...not sure if this passes your muster.

8^)

I do adore the series though, and the front end, music, and chara designs all float my boat.

I just wish the in-game didn't feel so slapped together. I'm miffed that my bread/&butters for Ukyo don't work.

It would've been ace for the models to be rendered Okami style, or akin to SFIV opening (calligraphy motif).

As 12 bones is about what (2) rentals of the game would run you @ Blockbuster; yeah, I would say it is worth it.

I hated on this game something fierce in other threads-however, it has grown on me in recent months.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Still 11.98 more then what I'd pay for it. When I visited OMFG here on the forums I asked to try it and it's like somebody took a shit in the DVD case and slapped SamSho on it and charged people money for it. Just take what you loved about the old games and throw it out the window. What a shame. You're better off downloading SS2 over XBLA. Costs the same and it's a much better game then Sen ever will be.

Retrozoa

n00b
It may be but I think we should support the company. I woudl rather have shit then nothing.

We should not support them for making bad games, then they'll just keep making bad games, because then they have no incentive to try.

Also, I would rather have nothing than shit. At least than I can say that the series stopped before it went downhill, or it never fell flat on it's face like this game did.

Sorry if that came out mean, I'm just a bit bitter over this game.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
There aren't many games I wouldn't pay 12 bucks for. I just bought Nier new from Gamestop for $15.

12 for samshosen is worth it.

There's your discerning review, Wes.

Bryant

n00b
I would've liked to tried this game out, but unfortunately I don't own an Xbox 360. Why is this game exclusive to Xbox 360?

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I bought it for 30 and Only played it once, I guess i'll give it another go. It dosent really feel like Samsho

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Anything post hyper that is 3D from SNK-P is pretty much garbage, this included. Though for $12 I would've bought it.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The presentation and sound in the game scream "play me as I'm the epic Samurai Shodown you always wanted to play". When you actually play it, a little part of you dies inside. The game is relentless on the medium level and cheap as fuck to boot. Combined with a control system that was obvious deployed by monkeys high on amyl nitrate makes this game warrant a $11.99 price tag (and not a penny more). It really does play like a poor man's Soul Calibur without the SNK soul. When you compare the game play to the Hyper 64 iterations, there really is nothing to compare. You're better off with the Anthology collection on the Wii.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I would've liked to tried this game out, but unfortunately I don't own an Xbox 360. Why is this game exclusive to Xbox 360?

Not a bad question, but it probably has something to do with the associated costs not being worth it.

SamShoSen probably looks great on paper. But this game is shovelware. It's earned its spot in the bargain bins. Every one of those 12 dollars shows up on the screen when you play.