YAY! Finally ordered a Neo Geo!

Just bought a US version of the Neo Geo from ebay, with JP KOF 94, KOF 95, and Samurai Spirits. I can't wait for the thing to arrive! I used to play MVS games all the time growing up, so I am hoping to relive some of the action at home.

Now I just need to get a memory card, a second controller, and hopefully a few cheaper games. Too bad a lot of the best games are out of my price range... I guess I will just have to learn to love the 2nd tier!

jon713

Camel Slug
Congrats, KOF95 is what started my love for the neo :drool:

But I went with the cabinet instead of the home system :buttrock:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Too bad a lot of the best games are out of my price range... I guess I will just have to learn to love the 2nd tier!

That kind of defeats the whole purpose of getting the system. If you can't afford to purchase the NGH games you want why not just buy a consolized MVS, Supergun or better yet a big red arcade machine (assuming you have the room).

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Hey there.
Like your handle guy.
Like your moxie too.
You could see if NeoTurfmasta is making another run of his
NEOsavemasta cards, good way to go.
Have fun with it all.

That kind of defeats the whole purpose of getting the system. If you can't afford to purchase the NGH games you want why not just buy a consolized MVS, Supergun or better yet a big red arcade machine (assuming you have the room).

How much is reasonable to pay for the consolized MVS?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Around $300 to $350 depending on the mvs board used and what bells and whistles it comes with.

Yea, its a lot but its the only way you are going to get to play games like Metal Slug 1, Ninja Masters, Blazing Stars, Shocktroopers, Neo Turfmasters, Twinkle Star Sprites, etc at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

deank93

n00b
Around $300 to $350 depending on the mvs board used and what bells and whistles it comes with.

Yea, its a lot but its the only way you are going to get to play games like Metal Slug 1, Ninja Masters, Blazing Stars, Shocktroopers, Neo Turfmasters, Twinkle Star Sprites, etc at a reasonable price.

Can only agree with that.

I was looking at getting a home system but decided that CMVS was the best way to go so i could get my hands on all the carts i couldn't afford back when i used to own a home system many years ago.

I'm a Newb

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I don't have a Neo-Geo but I download the games on the Wii. Fun times!
Anyway, hey all!

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

Would much rather have 1 off the top tier than 3 at the 2nd tier - save up and buy 1 rather then spend what you have and buy something you won't love.

Couldn't agree more. No point spending a couple of hundred on the system to play cheap games that you wouldn't be interested in on something like the Mega Drive / Genesis or the SNES.

Whilst many of the best Neo Geo AES games are unbelievably expensive, there are still some incredible titles out there that aren't cheap.... but aren't astronomical either. I just don't understand why so many people pick up a load of the likes of 3 Count Bout, The Super Spy, Blue's Journey, etc. when they could get a single or a couple unmissable and system defining titles like Real Bout Fatal Fury Special or The Last Blade instead.

Its all about the quality for me, not the quantity.

EDIT: No offence to the OP, your three games are great and cheap, but try not to fall into the n00b's pitfall of buying up a load of shoddy titles when those resources could be better spent on the Neo's finest :)

Hit Man X

n00b
Spend a few dollars and get the unit modified or the external unit for the AES to ouput component video or at least S-video!

Most cheap games are cheap for a reason, some are fun but most are crap. The Super Spy is so bad it is fun to me, I also paid only about $25 used for it about 15 years back at some discount electronics place (did not know what they had in their hands). King of The Monsters is also fun as is Nam 1975.

Buy Windjammers, bought it new and love it still. :)

And welcome :D

Since I already have the AES, I am thinking of getting the Super MVS Convertor II now. I figure if I pick up a few Metal Slug games, it will pay for itself compared to the AES versions. Is this a good or bad idea?

I have picked up a few cheaper games, so I have fallen into the "pitfall." Eightman, Mutation Nation, Sengoku... I love beat-em-ups! Baseball Stars has been getting a lot of play too. Of the fighters I have, Samurai Showdown II is great!

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
AES prices have diverged in two directions. The rare games have gotten a lot more expensive, and the not so rare games have come way down in price. I just bought an AES yesterday after a many year hiatus because most of the games I always wanted have come way down in price, many sub $100. KOF97 for $70? Yes please!