Pc Engine Duo RGB Mod Pics?

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi ok I've got a Duo that came with an RGB lead and also with the 8 pin DIN connector on it.

When I got it I tested it out with the RGB lead but it didn't work. I then tried an AV lead and it was ok.

I came to the conclusion that it may have been either a botched RGB mod or one that didn't work, or even thinking about it could be an unfinished mod that someone perhaps not as experienced couldn't be bothered to finish? Bit of a long shot but still.

Anyway I opened up the console and saw connection wires from the 8 pin DIN connector to just under the metal grill on the left.

picture.php

picture.php

Closer

picture.php

Closer still

picture.php

The RGB lead.

I've seen a vid on the RGB mod which was ok but I really have little knowledge on it, let alone be able to do one. However I saw the part with the DIN connector (whether it's correct here I'd have to look more closely at) and also the RGB amp part I think which also acts as a 'colour booster'. Although the RGB amp isn't here I don't think, and although not as good I do have a colour booster scart attachment which acts as the RGB amp I think. The only problem is the one I have I use with a Core Grafx 2. Whether this makes a difference or not I don't know. I did actually test the setup again with the RGB lead and again nothing. I then added the colour booster amp scart attachment I think and the pic was slightly different, dark still but I noticed a blurred and flickering Japanese word I think? Not sure if anyone knows anything about this or that actual thing I saw.

The issue could also be the RGB scart lead itself. I could perhaps get one but I don't know if they're all the same for a particular console? You'd think so but again I'm not certain. Not sure with this regarding the colour booster amp scart above as well.

Any interest and ideas would be cool and very appreciated.

Last edited:

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Are you using the SCART lead that came with the console?? If you imported the console from a japanese seller ( or any other Asian seller) it might a problem with the SCART cable, japanese (and Asian) RGB SCART lead has a diferent pinout than the european scart, If that's the case you'll need a JPN to EURO RGB Scart adapter.

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi again I turned the PCB unside down and found more mod work I think. I have seen something similar from the mod video I saw but I think that was done on the top side of the board.

picture.php

picture.php

Closer

picture.php

Closer upper part (these 3 red wires go up to the board surface just under the metal grill and go to the 8 pin DIN connector).

picture.php

Closer lower part.

I'm not too sure about the JPN to EURO RGB Scart adapter, I could ask someone about that who I was going to ask about a Pc Engine scart lead.

Anything would be cool.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Cant see your pictures, you seem to be linking them from the album thats set to private.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
1. The RGB cable you have is an official Nintendo brand Japanese 21pin RGB cable. Based on your location, I'm guessing that's the problem. You need a Euro SCART cable. The pinouts are completely different.

2. The capacitors in Nintendo brand cables tend to leak and die. If there's any brown gunk in the connector, the caps need to be replaced. (Assuming you can use 21pin Japanese RGB, like in an XRGB for example)

blueraven

n00b
1. The RGB cable you have is an official Nintendo brand Japanese 21pin RGB cable. Based on your location, I'm guessing that's the problem. You need a Euro SCART cable. The pinouts are completely different.

2. The capacitors in Nintendo brand cables tend to leak and die. If there's any brown gunk in the connector, the caps need to be replaced. (Assuming you can use 21pin Japanese RGB, like in an XRGB for example)

Unless I'm confused by all of the wires being red, the work does look correct. I agree; try a SCART cable.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Looks like you have a japanese SCART cable, don't buy another cable since the one you have already comes with the video amp installed inside the Scart connector, (Pc engine RGB is too dark without it) just get an JPN to Euro Scart adapter, you can find them for cheap in electronics stores, or Ebay.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
It's just a standard Japanese SuperFamicom cable. They all have that exact same pcb with 3 220uf caps on them. He might still need an external amp. I'm curious to see how it looks though.

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi yeah I've checked out gamesx before - quite a big site with loads of info. I may have to check it out sometime soon. Thanks also for the link - I'll check that first.

The JPN to Euro Scart adapter sounds good as I may have the amp in my Jap scart lead.

What's XRGB? I looked it up but only very quickly. A Japanese signal type box converter for Euro? If that makes any sense.

I actually have an external amp so I maybe able to use a Euro Pc Engine Duo scart lead. It's a few posts above;

'I do have a colour booster scart attachment which acts as the RGB amp I think. The only problem is the one I have I use with a Core Grafx 2. Whether this makes a difference or not I don't know. I did actually test the setup again with the RGB lead and again nothing. I then added the colour booster amp scart attachment I think and the pic was slightly different, dark still but I noticed a blurred and flickering Japanese word I think? Not sure if anyone knows anything about this or that actual thing I saw.'

I may go with the JPN to Euro Scart adapter as i9t could be both cheaper and more successful depending on the above. I could try both I suppose, it shouldn't cost too much for a Euro Pc Engine Duo scart lead. I'll check the scart adapter asap.

Thanks again for everyone's time, effort, input and help. It's greatly appreciated.

jew90

Geese's Thug
It is interesting as the RGB is usually taken directly off the chip, it looks like your RGB lines pass through another chip, is this amplifying them?

The capacitors just remove bias from the signal, there not necessarily needed but unless faulty shouldn't harm picture.

You can get the SCART pinout from the net, just make sure you have all of the pins going to the right place.

R,G,B, SYNC, GND and +5v via 100 ohm resistor should be all you need

blueraven

n00b
It's possible it could have been the guy who did the mod, but from experience, I would guess it came from the Factory that way. There have been many Duo consoles that I have opened for the first time that look the same as this one sans the mod. Reside everywhere, especially in the audio circuit and power supply.

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Hi again, again lots of cool info and that was cool of you all.

Anyway I think I found a JPN to Euro Scart adapter on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Micomsoft-XRG...793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255ebc9f41

I didn't quite understand everything on the description regarding the setup and some of the terminology like XRGB probably just confused me further. I got some of it but not enough for sure.

Could I just use the existing Japanese 21pin RGB scart lead cable that came with my Duo with this adapter and all should be ok providing everything else is?

From a part of the item description;

'This adaptor allows you to use any Euro RGB SCART lead on any XRGB unit, or indeed anything else that accepts the Japanese 21 pin standard, such as monitors and some Japanese TVs. Simply plug the SCART lead into the socket end on this convertor, the other end into your XRGB unit, and enjoy glorious colour and clarity from your console!'

it confused me a bit. I took the first part as saying I'd need a Euro RGB Pc Engine Duo cable along with the scart adapter for it to work? I think sometimes I learn better and more easily via visual stuff. Some stuff via written word can get complicated both writing and reading it esp if there's no pictures.

Shouldn't a Euro RGB Pc Engine Duo cable be ok anyway with a colour booster (RGB amp basically I think) without a scart adapter?

Below is the colour booster (RGB amp basically I think)

picture.php

As I've said above twice before;

'I do have a colour booster scart attachment which acts as the RGB amp I think. The only problem is the one I have I use with a Core Grafx 2. Whether this makes a difference or not I don't know. I did actually test the setup again with the RGB lead and again nothing. I then added the colour booster amp scart attachment I think and the pic was slightly different, dark still but I noticed a blurred and flickering Japanese word I think? Not sure if anyone knows anything about this or that actual thing I saw.

I know both cables look the same. I had the impression mine was a colour booster RGB amp (I use with my Core Grafx, not sure if it should work with a Duo with a Euro RGB scart lead) and the one on ebay just a converter for my Japanese 21pin RGB scart lead cable (has the RGB amp) so it gives me a picture?

I'm sorry if this is a bit confused but it's harder via written word and there are a few things here which can easily aid in any confusion.

If you get through it and sort of see what I'm saying, anything would be cool and well appreciated.

Hungkuen

Mr. Big's Thug
Ok I guess it's been a bit since I or anyone has posted on this thread.

Anyway there's been a few sort of interesting developments regarding this but has taken quite some time for one or two reasons, some of which is out of my control. As soon as I have the hopefully complete working solution I could post it.

Thanks again, all the help was pretty good of everyone here.

jew90

Geese's Thug
I see only 3 wires to the DIN itself? You need RGB+Sync for a picture on the TV.. unless of course they were tapping composite video from some other connector?

I added RGB to my PC Engine + CDRom2 system that I brought back from Japan over the weekend and I used a 6 pin din plug.

It has Red Green Blue Ground +5v Sync to it.

The levels were quite low too (would have to look at a duo's output as it has been years, but I used a simple transistor amp to sort that out.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The 3 extra wires are for the RGB signal. The standard 5-pins on the stock DIN connector already provide +5v, GND, and composite video to make it SCART ready.

jew90

Geese's Thug
The 3 extra wires are for the RGB signal. The standard 5-pins on the stock DIN connector already provide +5v, GND, and composite video to make it SCART ready.

Yep, hence me saying they must be tapping the other wires from another connector.

So if the owner of this isn't using both connectors they wouldnt get a picture.

I'd manually build a scart cable, it only requires 2 din plugs on the end :)

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
When you upgrade from the 5-pin to the 8-pin din connector, you still have access to the original 5 pin functions (audio L/R, composite video, ground, and +5v). The two connectors are pin compatible except for the 3 extra pins on the DIN-8. There is no need to have two din plugs on the end of a scart connector.

jew90

Geese's Thug
Ah right im with you, I was under the impression that the DIN socket was added as well as the original socket not to replace it :buttrock: