Japan Post no longer air mailing pkgs over 1 lb to US; FedEx, UPS, DHL not affected

l2yan00

Quiz Detective
[highlight][ADMIN EDIT: I've changed the title to better reflect the actual situation; the original was "USA Bans Japanese Packages Over Terrorism Fears"][/highlight]

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/no_delivery_en.html

http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_political/7257030.html

USA Bans Japanese Packages Over Terrorism Fears
The Japanese have been banned from shipping packages of any significant size to the land of the free as the US believes they are likely a bunch of freedom-hating terrorists.

Japan Post, Japan’s main international package delivery service, have announced (less detailed English announcement here) that due to terrorism fears in the USA they have been forced to indefinitely stop accepting any items over 453g (16 freedom ounces) in weight for air shipment to the US or its various island territories.

The size restrictions are apparently intended to limit the size of bomb the Japanese can send.

Companies holding business accounts with Japan Post should in principle be exempt, meaning international retailers operating from Japan will probably be completely unaffected, but small businesses and individuals are now unable to ship packages of any great size to the US in a timely fashion.

Other international postal services in Japan may have different policies (although many are already highly restrictive, refusing to ship figures and so on if they lack CE marks, software, adult items, etc.). The patient should also be able to make use of sea shipment options.

Similar air shipment restrictions in other freedom-hating countries are likely.

The background to the crackdown is that bombs disguised as toner cartridges were shipped to the US from Yemen, and as a result the Department of Homeland Security imposed sweeping restrictions on “certain inbound international air cargo shipments” thought to be high risk, which evidently includes those coming from Japan.

Fortunately, as a result of the policy Americans can now once more freely imbibe the heady air of liberty knowing that the homeland is again secure and it is even harder than ever for any subversive Japanese otaku goods to reach their shores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
cornette.png

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Nope. There should be other ways around it with other services, but it sucks that EMS is affected.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Every real news source I've heard (Ie. Not livejournal) has stated that the US is stopping shipments of INK CARTRIDGES that hold over 16 ounces. And even then, only small noncommercial bulk packages.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
one would think japanese packages would be a rather small threat, if you catch my meaning.

Every real news source I've heard (Ie. Not livejournal) has stated that the US is stopping shipments of INK CARTRIDGES that hold over 16 ounces. And even then, only small noncommercial bulk packages.

But what we're seeing is the Japanese reaction to the USA policies. Perhaps they don't have a mechanism to differentiate. Perhaps they simply got confrused by the Engrish.

Last edited:

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
I had an AES copy of The Last Blade arrive from Japan yesterday. Must've got here just in time.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Can I get a big fuck you to the USA?

Thanks.

jew90

Geese's Thug
Bloody terrorists, i bet this was their plan all along.. I don't see Yemen on that exclusion list.

I'd wager that the youtube nutcase preacher guy is a closet neo fan, now he's hoarding all the games to himself.

I bet that cave is full of proto's

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
so does that mean terrorists will send lighter bombs?

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
Since I hate anything less than professional source (and a livejournal by some otaku is not one), here's corroboration:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ty-theater-the-ripples-spread-to-japan/66542/

Short version: items weighing more than 1 pound can no longer be shipped to the U.S. by any means involving flight.

This reminds me of how Brazil added stupid visa requirements to get back at the US's stricter entry requirements.

The news is still not very well outlined and I would wait until more information presents itself.

[EDIT: see next post]

aria

Former Moderator
Reliable source found, the main English language paper in Japan, I've highlighted a key passage for those in need:

453-gram limit on U.S.-bound mail
The Japan Times: Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010
By MINORU MATSUTANI

Staff writer
Japan Post Services Co. said it will stop accepting airmail packages bound for the United States weighing 453 grams (1 pound) or more starting Wednesday because airlines will stop such delivery at the request of U.S. aviation authorities as part of antiterrorism measures.

The postal services arm of Japan Post Holdings Co. handles 16 million letters and packages by air and sea to the U.S. annually, and "15 percent of that will be affected," a Japan Post spokesman said. That means about 200,000 packages a month will be affected.

The company said it will accept packages from senders that use a service enabling them to pay after delivery instead of beforehand, a service designated for regular customers, even if a package weighs 453 grams or more. The company will notify the public of any changes in the situation, the spokesman said.

The Transportation Security Administration of the U.S. has informed air carriers of the 453-gram rule, and carriers notified Japan Post Services, the spokesman said. The rule applies not only to packages from Japan but from other countries.

Packages containing explosives were found in Britain and Dubai on two cargo planes from Yemen bound for the U.S. in late October. The TSA heightened its aviation alert level since then.

[highlight]The Japanese units of Fedex Corp., United Parcel Service of America Inc. and DHL International GmbH said they have no similar plans as Japan Post's[/highlight]. But DHL "will cooperate with the United States and other countries as they have raised (the) security level," spokeswoman Maho Takahashi said.

Overseas Courier Service Ltd. said it stopped accepting packages Friday to be delivered to the U.S., Latin America, Europe and Africa containing ink cartridges or toner cartridges weighing more than 450 grams.

I'm now going to change the alarmist, incorrect title of this thread; it was previously "USA Bans Japanese Packages Over Terrorism Fears" --which isn't accurate; to be fair, it wasn't the original poster's but the woefully amatuer blogger.

Hopefully the Japanese will soon figure out that this was directed at toner and ink carts only.

westtrade

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
Luckily there are other options beside Japan Post office. All other Japanese and foreign carriers are still shipping to America, though Fedex is requesting to examine the contents of packages before shipping.

Yamato Kuroneko is shipping to America and the shipping cost/transit time is roughly the same as Japan Post office. All shipments include tracking and $2000 insurance coverage at the basic cost.

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english/

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So what's to stop someone from mailing Japan>UK>USA?

Either way this is fucked for arcade buyers. 95% of the stuff we buy are electronics.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's funny how the number one freedom hating country (i.e. China) hasn't been affected yet. Play-Asia has all the luck on their side.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
This is going to suck for those who import a lot from Japan. EMS was always so affordable from there. I can't see Fedex, DHL or the like being nearly as good a deal, but then again maybe they are, I have only dealt with Japan Post shipping.

I tried go guesstimate what a small arcade kit (ie Cave SH3) would cost via UPS or Fedex. With EMS it's a sub $100 deal, but you can spend $350-$450 pretty easily with the alternatives (insured).

I think with some small PCBs you can squeak under 16 ounces still though if it's just the board.

EMS is great though. I received a package from Japan today and it was so big you could have stuck an Asian chick in there.. $148.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This is going to suck for those who import a lot from Japan. EMS was always so affordable from there. I can't see Fedex, DHL or the like being nearly as good a deal, but then again maybe they are, I have only dealt with Japan Post shipping.

I think it will affect a lot of Japan ebay sellers. Plus it also depends if they even will offer DHL, Fedex and whatever. They'll most likely just not ship anything that heavy.