MVS Speed up chip

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
A little while ago, a friend of mine mentioned there was a way to speed up the crystal clock on a Neo Geo MVS board. This would allow games like Shock Troopers 2 and Metal Slug 2 to play with much less slow down. I looked around however and never found any info about it... he seemed to think all it did was just speed up the CPU a little, 10 - 20 Mhz? Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this? Or is this just some Neo rumour....

-Nick

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
I am sure it can be done, just like you could with the Atari Lynx, but Id be carefull, you dont want to blow out your system... An electronics wiz like Jeff Kurtz would know if this is feasable, and could probably even install it with a toggle switch.. sounds like a nifty Idea... I myself heate the slow down on some shooters.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
The notion of overclocking a Neo-Geo is an intriguing one, but I doubt that the system's 12.5MHz Motorola 6800 CPU could tolerate being pushed to any appreciable level over it's rated speed. The system board's PLL would probably have to be replaced in order to overclock the CPU. One possible work-around would be to replace the existing 68000 with a faster one. I do know that there are 16MHz 68000s in existence, and possibly ones even faster than that were made. However, upping the speed of the system's primary CPU would probably mess up some games by making them run too fast, and others might cease working entirely, due to the fact that these games are all designed around exact hardware specifications that aren't ever supposed to change...

------------------
sonicwi228.gif

DolphinLord: Plaguing the online Neo-Geo scene since 1997.

Visit #SNK on EFnet IRC for SNK/Neo-Geo chat!

[This message has been edited by DolphinLord (edited January 03, 2001).]

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Yeah but aint that bruning smell when you start screwing with CPU's great
smile.gif
aaaa I love the smell of cpu burn in the morning, smells like victory.