Help With Metal Slug 3

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
This is an odd request, but if you can help it would be greatly appreciated. I bought a Metal Slug 3 MVS Cart off of eBay recently and I have come to believe that it is a beta cart. I paid $300 for this thing, so I would like to know what it is.. and if need be, get a refund. Anyway, here is the deal. It is an English MVS cart of Metal Slug 3... the first thing I noticed is this... When you go into the settings and change country from Others to USA there is a 1 - 2 second black screen pause before the title screen shows up. This is surely a parental warning screen similar to the one in Garou if you make the same change, however mine does not have this screen... and instead like I said, the screen is black for 1 - 2 seconds. Secondly, there are a few audio anomolies at the end of stages... after you beat a boss, and right when the music ends and the POWs rescued are being counted... there is a hissing or crackling heard from the speakers until the end mission music plays. Now, there are plenty of times when the music is silent and these clicks are not heard... but they can be heard after every boss is beaten and a few times on the last stage (when going to shoot down the first mid boss, after freeing the commander from the electric field on the ship and at the end of the stage). I guess my question is this... does your copy of MS3 have the same things that mine has? Or do you have crystal clear audio after the boss is beaten and a warning screen if USA is set in the country field... This info would be extremly helpful in determining if this cart is a release cart. Thanks so much for your time,
-Nick

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Most likely it's just dirty contacts or something...

If you can take a couple pictures (or scans) of the boards inside the cart and e-mail them to me (jmkurtz@macola.com) I will tell you if it's a beta cart or not. I wouldn't be suprised if it was since I know of someone else that has one.

Jeff

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well the contacts on this puppy are like new... thats what bugs me, I could see if they were a bit dirty... and let me say this, the audio is crystal clear everywhere else.... and there are moments of silence (like the title screen) with no problems. I will take a few shots of the board tonight... but any idea on the Country thing... Like I said the USA warning screen is missing... is this the case with other Metal Slug 3 carts out there?

-Nick

D

DRUNKEN SHAOLIN DEVIL

MY METAL SLUG 1 CART HISSES AND CACKLES ALSO AT HIGH POINTS IN THE GAME..ID LIKE TO KNOW WHATS CAUSEING THIS TYPE OF THING TOO..

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Well, just thought I would post an update here. Over the last day I have learned a lot about Metal Slug 3. First of all, the Parental Advisory screen. When making the soft dip change to USA for country, all Metal Slug 3 cartridges have a 1 - 2 second pause on a black screen before the title appears. However, here is some info I learned from some other helpful MVS owners. After the Neo Geo Gigapower screen is displayed you will see a parental advisory from Metal Slug 3. This is interesting since I have a 2 and 6 slot board, both of them had other games in the slots when I tried Metal Slug 3... If 2 Gigapower games are in the slots, you will not see a Neo Geo startup screen, instead you go right to the title screens... however after both games have gone through the attraction mode you will then get the Neo Geo screen. So, Metal Slug 3 in by itself or in slot 1 will show the parental advisory only after one time through the attact mode. This is a nice bug left in by SNK. Now onto the sound problem... I am in the process of learning more info about this, but from what I can tell right now it looks like this too is in all copies of MS3 (I just may be a bit more picky then most, since it is very soft and I am anal). I am buying another MS3 cart, probably today. I will post the results when it gets here and I have had time to run it through its courses. Also, thanks to Jeff... he took a look at a few screen shots of my board and determined it was 100% authentic. Thanks so much!
-Nick

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
With my 1-slot, it can be REALLY picky as to how the carts need to be inserted to work properly. Most of the time, if they aren't in exactly the right position, they won't start at all, but occasionally, I've encountered graphic and sound glitches. Maybe this is the case with you?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yeah Eclipse.. mine too, but it does not seem to be a problem with that. If this cart is not put in all the way on mine, or is a little off I have graphic glitches (enimes just kind of wig out, the title screen is flashy)... but the sound is always good
smile.gif
haha, well, this weekend I will have a second MVS cart of MS3... that will be the final test, but I am sure that they will be identical. If they are both good I will stick one on ebay... if one does turn out to be bad though I am going to have to track down the original seller for a refund
frown.gif
Well, thanks all for the help, it is really appreciated.

-Nick

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yeah Eclipse.. mine too, but it does not seem to be a problem with that. If this cart is not put in all the way on mine, or is a little off I have graphic glitches (enimes just kind of wig out, the title screen is flashy)... but the sound is always good
smile.gif
haha, well, this weekend I will have a second MVS cart of MS3... that will be the final test, but I am sure that they will be identical. If they are both good I will stick one on ebay... if one does turn out to be bad though I am going to have to track down the original seller for a refund
frown.gif
Well, thanks all for the help, it is really appreciated.

-Nick

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I got my second copy of Metal Slug 3 today and I wanted to just post an update. It is exactly the same as the other cartridge... So, if it is in a one slot board or is alone in a multi slot board, the parental warning will appear... if it is not alone though it does not appear and a 1-2 sec black screen pause is observed before the title screen. Also the sound crackling that can be heard after beating the bosses is here as well. So... thats the final say I guess, these problems are present in every Metal Slug 3. Well, guess I am off to sell a MS3 cart
smile.gif
Thanks all again for your help.

-Nick