Where to find a 1-1/8" knockout punch?

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
Hi everyone,
Anyone have an idea where I can find a 1-1/8" knockout punch suitable for making holes in metal control panels?

I found a nice set locally that has both 1" and 1-1/4". At this point I have been using the 1" then a drill press/unibit to get it up to the 1-1/8".

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Hi everyone,
Anyone have an idea where I can find a 1-1/8" knockout punch suitable for making holes in metal control panels?

I found a nice set locally that has both 1" and 1-1/4". At this point I have been using the 1" then a drill press/unibit to get it up to the 1-1/8".

Here's what I use...Dewalt makes every size required for Sanwa, Semitsu, and American parts.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D18001...f=sr_1_45?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1287432694&sr=1-45

I'm sure they make a knockout punch if thats your preference.

Don't forget the attachment: http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DW1808...f=sr_1_63?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1287432929&sr=1-63

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
Hmm a regular hole saw will go through a metal panel ok? I burned one up the other day, but only afterwards did I read I should have been using low RPM and oil, haha.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Hmm a regular hole saw will go through a metal panel ok? I burned one up the other day, but only afterwards did I read I should have been using low RPM and oil, haha.

These are meant for metal...I cut through the control panel for the cab in my sig. No need for oil.

Not sure if you have Orchard Supply Hardware in Canada, but they carry them.

The Webmiester

Pvt. Picklestein,
Hmm, well I should really take this Ridgid one back to Home Depot then, because the teeth are flat after only 2 holes. It was bi-metal too, wonder why it didn't work?

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Take it back and buy a step bit instead. A little pricey, but it will get the job done right. I've never had any luck with metal hole saws, always burn the teeth off even using low rpm and cutting oil. I've never had one work properly cutting holes on control panels.

I was MUCH happier with my step bit and have used it so much that it has definitely paid for itself. I've never had to replace it, and don't worry about the RPMs when cutting, just use plenty of cutting oil.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
Be careful when using step bits. They tend to leave sharp edges. It's a good idea to file the hole with a metal file afterwards.