More S-Video Please

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Anyone know of or seen successfull s video mod jobs on other 16-bit systems like turbo duo or genesis? Any ideas...Jeff?

Carlson
16-bit

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
While not really on topic, NCS was talkign about, I think RGB, for the Genesis. Not sure which model though. They were going to build a cable to use with it....

------------------
Keith

mmlink.gif

DaemoN

Camel Slug
Make sure you visit www.gamesx.com, they have lots of info, pinouts, etc...

------------------
DaemoN
daemon@roarvgm.com
www.roarvgm.com

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
S-Video is a relic from the past! Bring on the component video mods instead!
smile.gif

------------------
SIG1.gif

DolphinLord: Plaguing the online Neo-Geo scene since 1997.

Visit #SNK on EFnet IRC for SNK/Neo-Geo chat!

endgamer

Another Striker
If s-video is such a relic how come most people don't even know what it is. You talking about relics how about RF units that still ship with all systems.
I have a Euro Panasonic TV from 1992 that has 3 s-video connections. Not until today have I come across a tv that had 3 or more s-video's on it. And guess what it was a beautiful Tau 34" Panasonic HDTV widescreen with 2 component and 4 s-video and the standard composite connections as well. I'm in tv bliss.

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I don't think it's possible with the PC Engine or Genesis. With the PC Engine, definitely not. Both systems can do RGB, though; you need a mod for the PCE while the Genny just outputs RGB from the A/V socket (same pinout as the Neo-Geo, slightly different plug). If anything, you'd have to take the separate RGB signals and then combine them into S-Video, which would be counterproductive in the first place.

And yeah, I totally agree with the poster who said that S-Video is a relic. Once you've tried RGB there's really no reason at all to bother with S-Video. S-Video is a half-way attempt to clean up the garbage that is composite, and once you've tried RGB there's no going back.

- Matt

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I've modified my Genesis for SVideo out.

Jeff

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I don't understand all the attitudes I read about RGB here and elsewhere. That is, I have several systems that have s-video out, and the picture looks very clear with very little color bleed and nice bright colors. While I'm sure that RGB is technically better than s-video, I really find it hard to believe that the difference is all that great.

Also, s-video from a high quality DVD player to a good TV looks great. Again, I'm sure component video is technically superior, but I guess in this case I haven't seen component video up and running and can't judge it. I'd really like to see them running side by side.