Emulator CDs

G

gorilla

I saw somebody on Yahoo auctions auctioning an emulation CD for Neo, with the latest rev. of NeoRage.

Not that I'm for emus, but, I'm curious. How's the latest rev? How are they on a PC? How the hell do you play (i.e., what kinda joystick?!)

G

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Originally posted by gorilla:
I saw somebody on Yahoo auctions auctioning an emulation CD for Neo, with the latest rev. of NeoRage.

Not that I'm for emus, but, I'm curious. How's the latest rev? How are they on a PC? How the hell do you play (i.e., what kinda joystick?!)
G

My question is: why buy one of those CD's when you can download the roms from the Net for free? Besides, you're better off supporting the actual platform -- those emulators don't recreate the same feel as the actual hardware.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Besides, you're better off supporting the actual platform

But when the original company abandons its CD console, and the few games it continues to profit from have not been dumped, then what?

Anyhow, go to http://www.geochock.com/ and you can find out all about what NeoRAGEx is like.

S

Silent_Scope

Just my personal preference:
Don't like to play Neo games on PC. Still support Neo Cart and CD games.........

Jinei

n00b
Thats right. Its not the real thing. But after playing around with NeoRageX (and NeoRage before) for at least a year now i was infected. I bought a cabinet with a 2-Slot board and my first game. How i decide which game will be the first one to buy?
NeoRageX. And be very sure about the next ones.
What makes NeoRageX very interesting is the possibilites to change language, aes or mvs use debug bios and so on.
And one thing is sure: i will never have bought an mvs without NeoRageX.
Here in Germany i have never seen a mvs. I am sure there are some but not in my area.
The biggest moneymakers in coin-up industry in germany are money slots. Also from the cartridges that are offered only the early games of Neo Geo can be found. Its very hard to find a KOF or Real Bout FF 2, Special or Samurai Shodown 4.

How it feels to play a emu: if you not having a very fast pc and have to use frameskip the effects will probably not looking so great because of missing frames. Sometimes some action looks to fast and uncomplete. I always played with the keyboard and managed it after practice. I have never used a game pad.

There are special arcade sticks you can progam and use with the emulator. but for the price it costs you also can buy a used cabinet.

Without scanlines NeoRageX graphics looks not so great and with scanlines the graphics are not so bright as on an arcademonitor.

There a possibilities like the project PCtoJamma to use a cabinet with a PC and MAME (who has a built-in function to use an Arcade Monitor).

[This message has been edited by Jinei (edited December 17, 2000).]

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Originally posted by Neo Bomber Man:
But when the original company abandons its CD console, and the few games it continues to profit from have not been dumped, then what?

Anyhow, go to http://www.geochock.com/ and you can find out all about what NeoRAGEx is like.

What does this emulator CD have in relation to the Neo CD's extinction? The same
games on that CD are still available in cart format for cheap! SNK still supports their cart system (we're talkin' 10 years), and you're better of purchasing a cart system and some games. There's nothing wrong with emulation as long as you intend to purchase the originals. Sure, SNK abandoned their CD format, but that's because people complained
about the load times.

Peace out!

------------------
terry1.gif

NeoLord
Neo-News and much more!

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited December 17, 2000).]

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
OK, I may get flamed for this, but I am a huge supporter of the emulation scene... and although I agree that a lot of people do it for the "free" games, there are a lot of us out here that use it to buy games. I have every Neo Geo Rom that is currently available, and I have played all of them. The ones that shine (which are quite a few) I buy. You see, I have not bought Strikers 1945, Prehistoric Isle 2, or Ganryu simply because I will not drop $100 - $200 on a game I have never even seen or played. OK, maybe I use emulation a little different than a lot of people out there, but as a person with limited money I can spend on the Neo, I find NeoRage a blessing in getting the best carts for my money.

-Nick

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
I am much like you Nick. For the games that I am not familiar, I try them on Rage first. I think there are more folks like us than you realize. People around here get a real stick up their butt about this stuff, but when it comes to the Neo carts pricing out where they do, I absolutely try before I buy.

DL'd Spinmasters, loved it, bought it. DL'd Andro Dunos and said,"...cute, but not worth the money. I can play old school on my Genesis."

-RyoGeo

[This message has been edited by RyoGeo (edited December 28, 2000).]

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Like you guys, I bought Neo Geo Rage Emulation cds (2cds) from ebay, recently to try some of the games first, before I bought them for either MVS/AES. After I loaded itonce, I stopped using it. Ok, the graphic, and the sound looked very good. But the control...I know some people like emulation stuff, but I just coudln't get used to it. Total play time: 2 minutes. Oh well. I have no complaint. I got what I paid for--dirt cheap.

[This message has been edited by Master Terry Bogard (edited December 29, 2000).]

peterr928

Another Striker,
20 Year Member
the emulator actually got me to buy the system and before i buy a game i download it to see if i like it or not. I don't suggest buying one of those cds though or using the emulator and not supporting the system