Neo Geo CD system problem

S

SLuG16

hi, My Neo-Geo CD system (1x) is having a problem. whenever i play a game, the color is messed up. the main colors that are used are a shade of yellow and some blue. the system plays fine, and i wanted to know if anybody knows how to fix this problem or knows where i can find out?
thanks

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
Try using a different AV cord. Either buy a new S-video or composite cord, or if you're using S-video now, try the composite cord that came with your NGCD.

Hopefully it's something that easy!

S

SLuG16

thanks for your advice, do you know of any places where i can buy an s-video cable for mu Neo CD?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
The Neo CD system uses a standard s-video cable, which you can readily find in 6ft. and 12ft. lengths at Best Buy, Wal Mart, and Circuit City. You don't need anything special for the system, its standard s-video.

S

SLuG16

also, with s-video, do i still need to hook up my av cords too?

G

gokusama26

Not the yellow video plug, but yes you do need to hook up the Red/White audio plugs.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Ya know, It could just be your TV that is set wrong. Try playing with the hue and tint settings

SLuG17

n00b
my other game systems a work perfectly, but its just the neo, it displays only a few colors like blue, yellow, and some others, so, do yoy think a s-video cable will work?
i hope i can fix it. is there anyone that knows the inside of a neo geo cd that could tell me a few things to check?
thanks

SLuG17

n00b
also, could sombody please explain how s-video helps the system, or just what exactly is it? i know that it is a cable that you attach for i guess better picture quality,but how much better is it? so can sombody help?

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
There are 4 basic types of video for the Neo CD and here they are from worst to best: RF, composite, S-Video, and RGB.

I've only used composite and S-Video for my Neo CD though, so that's the comparison I'll make.

In general though, RF gives you the worst picture quality and only mono sound. The video and sound signals all go through that single RF connection, and in general, most agree it isn't a pretty sight (or sound).
smile.gif
With all of the other connections, the video and audio are output separately. (There's a video plug, and the red and white audio plugs.)

RGB is the best quality video connection for Neo Systems. What you see in the arcade are RGB monitors. RGB is very nice, but from what I understand, you specifically need an RGB monitor (different from a regular TV) to use it. The RGB monitors I've seen are pretty expensive, and it's hard to find an RGB cable. If you really want to spend the money on an RGB monitor and find an RGB cable, go for it. To me, it's more hassle than it's worth.

Now I'll go into what I've personally used on my Neo CD.

Composite video comes through a yellow plug that has a single metal pin as its connector. Composite video is good, but the picture isn't quite as sharp and there's a little bit of color bleeding compared to S-Video.

S-Video's connector has 4 small pins. It provides a sharper picture and less color bleeding than composite. If you were to see composite and S-Video side-by-side, you could tell the difference, but I personally don't think the difference is Earth-shattering.

Just make sure your TV has an S-Video input. If it does, all you need to do is buy a standard S-Video cable, and you're set. If your TV doesn't have S-Video, I wouldn't go out and buy a new one just for that. If I were just buying a new TV for whatever reason, I'd make sure it does have S-Video though. I like my S-Video and don't want to go back. ^_^

S

Silent_Scope

just like most computer problems, over 80% are user errors....hehheheh
Just kidding. S-Video is super clear if you hookup to Sony WEGA TV. Otherwise, not really impressive. Anybody?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
S-video looks great on my ancient Hitachi 27" TV, which even when purchased back in the early 90s had an s-video input (that was quite uncommon on TVs back then, its very common now).

Of course, the new top standard for home TV video input these days is component video input, which when coupled with a DVD player with component out, gives an insanely sharp and clear picture.

But my old Neo, modded by Jeff Kurtz for s-video output (and stereo and arcade debug) looks great on my Hitachi 27" TV. I'm sure RGB may look better, but really guys, how much better can it be when your s-video equipped TV has nice sharp square corners and is larger (27", 31", 32" etc.) than the average RGB monitor (20" or 25"), which has rounded corners on the screen due to older tube technology?