Do MVS multigame carts harm the cartridge slots?

Outkast99

Banned
I was reading some of the threads about those XXX in 1 MVS multi-carts and it was brought up a couple times that they might harm the cartridge slots because of heat or something if they are in there a long time.

Is this true? Will they harm the MVS system? I have a 4 slot that is always on in a break room. Should I not keep a multi cart in there?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
I'm not 100% sure if this applies to MVS the same as it does to AES but the cart is said to draw a higher voltage than the slots/standard power supply are/is capable of, in turn "frying the slots".

I personally have never had a problem.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
All the non-original boards and chips in any bootlegs are of suspect quality.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
They're also finicky about multislots since you have a 4 slot.

Frank_fjs

n00b
Never had a problem. I've been using one regularly in a single slot for 6 months. Also know of about 10 other people using them & they've never reported any problems either.

Outkast99

Banned
Thanks for the input guys.

My machine is on 24/7. Ima go for it and stick a multi-cart in it and see what happens.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I was reading some of the threads about those XXX in 1 MVS multi-carts and it was brought up a couple times that they might harm the cartridge slots because of heat or something if they are in there a long time.

Is this true? Will they harm the MVS system? I have a 4 slot that is always on in a break room. Should I not keep a multi cart in there?

Thanks!

If the board is thicker than an original MVS board, then yes. I don't think this is the case though because from memory the MVS uses a common board thickness which would be easy for pirates to get ahold of.

I'm not 100% sure if this applies to MVS the same as it does to AES but the cart is said to draw a higher voltage than the slots/standard power supply are/is capable of, in turn "frying the slots".

I personally have never had a problem.
This doesn't make sense. Carts all draw a suitable amount of current; this was taken into account when designing the carts; they budgeted current for the cart after the other system circuitry. In the case of 5V AES and MVS, there is no voltage regulator so carts can draw as much current as they like, provided the power supply can supply the current draw. In order to "fry" the slot, a cart would need to exceed the current rating of the wire (PCB trace and connectors), which in the case of edge connectors is 3 amps or more per pin, and there are are at least 6 +5v & GND pins! To put it in perspective a typical cart draws maybe 300mA, and a multicart perhaps 600mA. The only case where you could do damage to the Neo is if you have a 9V console (which contains a voltage regulator limited to 1.5A) and are playing the multicart on a MVS converter, because you could exceed the current rating. The regulator chip also typically has an internal shutdown circuit for when current exceeds its rating, for added protection.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
This doesn't make sense. Carts all draw a suitable amount of current; this was taken into account when designing the carts; they budgeted current for the cart after the other system circuitry. In the case of 5V AES and MVS, there is no voltage regulator so carts can draw as much current as they like, provided the power supply can supply the current draw. In order to "fry" the slot, a cart would need to exceed the current rating of the wire (PCB trace and connectors), which in the case of edge connectors is 3 amps or more per pin, and there are are at least 6 +5v & GND pins! To put it in perspective a typical cart draws maybe 300mA, and a multicart perhaps 600mA. The only case where you could do damage to the Neo is if you have a 9V console (which contains a voltage regulator limited to 1.5A) and are playing the multicart on a MVS converter, because you could exceed the current rating. The regulator chip also typically has an internal shutdown circuit for when current exceeds its rating, for added protection.

I'm just repeating what i have heard.

Frank_fjs

n00b
I'm just repeating what i have heard.

Scare tactics from multi-cart haters.

I bought mine from another arcade forum as part of a group buy (to get the price down) with 10 other friends. We've all been using them on a regular basis (in single slots, 2 slots, 4 slots, 6 slots - between us we pretty much have all boards covered) and not a single person has experienced any problems. Be it frying boards, cart slots or random resetting.

6 months of regular use in various board revisions by 10 people, and not a single reported problem. I would have thought that if these things were so dangerous something bad would have happened by now.