My fixes for buggy multislots

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
This information may already be here in bits and pieces, but I just wanted to share the solutions I've found both on here and on my own to solving issues with finicky multislot boards.

I have the MV-2F and it has been ok. I've run into a few problems from time to time and have seen others posts with similar issues. Here's what I've done;

Cleaning the contacts for the carts will solve 99% of your problems. This goes for vertical lines, lockups, reboots, etc. While there are different methods, I've found one that works best for me, and that comes in the way of Lysol disinfecting wipes, the "dual action" kind. I've had carts with vertical lines and sprite glitches that I've cleaned with alcohol, benzene, erasers, and the like. Using the Lysol fixed issues where the others wouldn't. Using a q-tip, saturate it with the fluid from the disinfecting wipe, and scrub down the leads on the cart until no "soot" is left. Do this by repeated passes with the q-tip until it comes out clean. Allow to dry fully and these do not evaporate quickly like alcohol.

It also helps to clean the slots on the board. For that I use the rough side of the disinfecting wipe directly, but only after I wring it out because otherwise fluid will drip down as it's saturated and you don't want that.

Bear in mind that not all slots are the same. Some games will have issues in one slot, where they might not in another. You may even have a different cart that is just the opposite (i.e. works well in slot 2 but not slot 1 whereas other carts prefer slot 1).

Some games just don't work well together. This is especially true of big and small games. The games that say, "max 330 mega pro gear spec", often don't get along with those that say, "giga power" in an adjacent slot.

So those workarounds have fixed my issues thus far; cleaning contacts with the lysol wipes, switching slots, being mindful of which games are slotted together. All of my carts are original, no boots.

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
Great post, thanks. I am having a similar issue with lockups in a thread that I posted, so I will give these ideas a shot also. My carts are clean, but I could probably clean the slots too.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I read your thread, and you had mentioned MS3.

MS3 gives me more problems than any other cart. Have you tried just having MS3 in one of the slots and nothing else? That would rule out the cart being the culprit.

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
I read your thread, and you had mentioned MS3.

MS3 gives me more problems than any other cart. Have you tried just having MS3 in one of the slots and nothing else? That would rule out the cart being the culprit.
It doesn't appear to be the game after all, as I have now seen the cab lockup on different games, but only when the cab is full. If it is just partially full, then everything plays without a problem. This is my current theory anyway...

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Are you able to fill the cab with only "giga power" games or only "330 mega" games and see if it works full with only one type?

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
Are you able to fill the cab with only "giga power" games or only "330 mega" games and see if it works full with only one type?
I don't have enough games yet to test that out. I got 3 "330 Mega" and 2 "Giga Power" carts. I wonder if that is it though. I need to get to buying some games!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When diagnosing any problems/glitches with a game system that relys on metal to metal contact, cleaning should always be your first step to fixing the problem.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Yup... +1 on cleaning as the first step.

If your Neo Geo system "locks up" then try to tap or jiggle the carts a bit in the slots. Do they screw up or reboot? If so, clean 'em again and this time, look for corrosion on the little contact pins in the slots.

If tapping or jiggling the carts does NOT cause the game to screw up or reboot then replace the power supply in your cab. It's probably going bad.