MVS Sound

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
Does anyone know what chip on the MVS handles sound? Is it a socket chip or is it solder to the board?

Nightmare Tony

*Account control passed, on to Tony's family.Ex Ro
Its a whole chain of chips. Let me lead the class here...

The sound brain is the Z80 CPU. It gets its instructions by a data port in Neo-B0 or Neo0C1 on later chipsets. It has a 6116 RAM and uses SM1 as its sound ROM. This contains low level driver and communication routines and the eye catch music theme in FM mode. It can also do the coin sound.

When the /CART line goes low, the SM1 is switched out to use the cartridge SM1 ROM. Duirng eye catch and for routines, it switches back.

the Z80 drives the YM2610 which is the sound generator. It has some FM operators and two PCM sound sample sound channels and 3 square wave channels out of a single line, which are compatible with the AY3-8910 sound chip. (the YM2203 was more compatible, but was only FM and AY3-8910 compatible). The two PCM channels come from the sound sample mask ROMS on the cartirdge. These are where all the instruments and voices you hear come from.

the digital serial output of the YM2610 goes into the YM3016, which converts it to analog sound channels in stereo. This goes through some op amps and is amplified by the power amp, the Ha13001.

Clas dismissed :)

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
Nightmare Tony thanks for the responce. The reason I asked this was there is a MVS 1 slot board up for auction and its discription said it works, but no sound. I was just wondering what chips handel sound and how hard it would be to pin point the cause of the problem and how easy it would be to fix. I now know that it could be a number of things that could cause the problem and it would require a good bit of trouble shooting to find the trouble maker.

Nightmare Tony

Hentai: SERIOUS blush. The only reason I know the system, take a look at my resume for about 5 years in a row :)

In terms of no sound. If any of the CPU components for the Z80p listed go bad, it will always teminate with a Z80 error and not progress. If the YM2610 fails, tghe game will come up, but with no sound,. The fastest way to check for the YM2610 failure is to check its interrupt line, the one coming from the 2610 with the pullup resistor. If its hanging low, the 2610 is probably fried.

if you are getting a digital signal stream to the yM3016, then the 2610 is probably good. The 3016 uses some op amps for mid range biasing, so if you get no ooutput from this chip, try changing all the op amps first.

]If you are getting a signal to the volume control, then HA13001 probably bit the dust.

Probably the most common failure I have, oither than the 26210 in 4 slots is the electrolyctic capacitors round the op amps and final amplifier. They go with age, I guess...

Scalar

New Challenger
@Nightmare Tony

Do you know where I can get circuit diagrams for AES and MVS mainboards?

rgds
Scalar

[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: Scalar ]</p>

Nightmare Tony

Not sure where to get AES schematics. I still have my mvs scehamtic set, but scanning it is rough, getting the time and getting them set. Sorry. if I do that, it wont be until december at least...