MVS error

cwGabe

New Challenger
Has anyone else ever had there MVS unit screen go black and then say Z80 ERROR on it? Or anyone know what it means?

G

gokusama26

Um, knowing that the Z80 is one of the main NEO processors, I'd say that the main chip on your MVS board is dead. You are kinda screwed. Did you just get this? Or did you have it for a while and then have it die? Also, there is a remote (and I mean far off) possibility that the chip has just come loose. Check it out, and if secure, buy a new 1-slot

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
If I'm not mistaken, the Z80 is an 8-bit processor used for sound in the Neo Geo (and, coincidentally, also in the Genesis). The main processor on the Neo is a Motorola 68000, I think. So a Z80 error would relate to the support processor for Neo sound. Jeff Kurtz can be more specific on this, I'm sure.

G

gokusama26

You're right, I get things mixed up sometimes, I'm not great with tiny details like that.... };'B <~~~~Duh!

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
That error will occur if the Z80 fails it's self test. That could include the actual Z80 failing, or communication to the Z80, or the Z80 doing it's ram test... Could be a few things.

Oh yea, and yes, the Z80 is used for sound processing.

Jeff

cwGabe

New Challenger
Thanks, that probably explains why I also have no sound
smile.gif
The wierd thing is I have been puting carts in it one slot at a time and waiting a day to see if I get an error. So far I have carts in the first three slots and have not gotten the error. I am gonna wait a little longer then try puting a cart in the last slot. Could it be a problem with just one of the slots?