HGA ; What's the picture quality like?

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
As MAS doesn't want to take my order I am going for HGA. Can anybody tell me what the picture quality is like? At the moment I run my Neo through the RGB cable, as this gives the best quality available. Is the HGA the same quality? If not; forget about the convertor! I don't want colors to run and pixels to look like a blur.
frown.gif

Thanks!!!

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
You're not going to get RGB quality from an HGA, mainly because there isn't a port for an RGB plug in the first place. The HGA has composite and S-Video.

Composite is terrible on the HGA. Forget about it. S-Video is pretty good on the HGA. I'll compare it to the Neo CD here because that's the closest comparison I can make firsthand. The S-Video picture on the HGA is not quite as good as the S-Video from a Neo CD, but an S-Video picture from an HGA is better than composite from a Neo CD.

Basically, I think the HGA's picture quality is quite good. No, it's not RGB quality, but I think it's good enough to warrant owning an HGA.

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
No thanks! I'll pass. If the picture isn't as good as RGB I'll only be annoyed as hell! Because I can get better video from a standard Neo. It's worth purchasing AES games instead of MVS games, if the latter suffers from bad video quality; I don't buy that many games.
Thanks anyway. Might the video from MAS be better?

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
For me, getting the vastly cheaper MVS carts is worth giving up the nice box, art, etc. that comes with AES carts, in addition to the sacrifice in picture quality of not being able to play with RGB.

The HGA's picture quality isn't bad at all - it's like just about any other game system.

But it's all a matter of personal preference, and yours is different, so I hope I helped save you some money you would not have wanted to spend!

(Also, although I don't own a Super Nova, I'm guessing that the picture quality is comparable to the HGA. You're probably better off with what you already have.)

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Hi eclipse,

You seem to know your way well around the HGA, I was considering one of those too. How bad is the bad you say in your composite video? RF Video type bad? :X

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
It's been so long since I've used an RF connection for anything, I'm not sure how to compare it for you.

I'll put it this way though: With the HGA's composite connection, some colors look too dark, some are too bright, the colors bleed quite a lot, and streams of little white dots are constantly running across the screen.

The composite picture is technically usable - you can see everything you need to see - but there's no way I can imagine anyone being happy if they were stuck with that picture.

Only get an HGA if you have a TV with S-Video. The S-Video picture is MUCH MUCH better.

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
So I suppose the picture quality from a SuperNOVA from MAS is better?
I have just received my 4 slot MVS, and I'd really like to play it! But if the video quality sucks ass; forget about it! Anyone in Holland want to buy a 4-slot?
smile.gif

Thanks!

Bad Mofo

Neo Geo Cup '98
I have just placed an order with MAS, for a SuperNOVA! I just kept sending e-mail to him, and he replied. Today I'll transfer the money, and it'll be shipped immediately. it should arrive in 2-4 weeks (I live in the Netherlands).
I'll let you know if I receive the NOVA.

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
Does the Super Nova have RGB output? I didn't think that it did, but I may be wrong. Otherwise, the picture quality is probably about the same as an HGA.

I've heard that you're going to get some picture quality loss with an RGB -> NTSC converter such as the Super Nova or HGA no matter what. (Btw, what standard does the Netherlands use? PAL? NTSC? Something else?)

You will get those nice MAS sticks though, which is cool.
smile.gif

As for me, like I've said, I don't want to feel like I have to harass a company for the privilege of giving them my money (i.e. multiple emails to get them to respond), so I'm still happy with my HGA.

But I do want to hear about how good the Super Nova is!

C

Caris Nautilus

Originally posted by Bad Mofo:
As MAS doesn't want to take my order I am going for HGA. Can anybody tell me what the picture quality is like? At the moment I run my Neo through the RGB cable, as this gives the best quality available. Is the HGA the same quality? If not; forget about the convertor! I don't want colors to run and pixels to look like a blur.
frown.gif

Thanks!!!

I had a super gun from mass and can say they rule. I don't know about the HGA though. Unless it's really poorly constructed I'd say it's the same, Unless they use a really bad RGB-NTSC converter