Neo Geo AC Adapter Clarification

outsider

Benimaru's Hairdresser
There are various threads about the NG AC adapter and which is compatible with what system. There is a 10V and a 5V? Which goes with what system and how do you know?

One thread said:

5V - early systems US or Jap
10V - newer sys, US or Jap

the other said:

5V - US
10V - Jap

I might be wrong, so pls clarify
smile.gif

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well, if it helps, here's my early U.S. home cart system AC specs (serial #013208):

Model # NEO-O

Input: 120V ~60Hz 22W
Output: DC5V 3A

And here are the specs of a Japanese Neo AC adapter that I bought off eBay:

Model # NEO-POW3
Input: AC100V 50-60Hz 19VA
Output: DC 10V 1000mA

I don't have a Jap cart system, just this spare AC adapter. Hope this helps!

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Originally posted by chimpmeister:
Well, if it helps, here's my early U.S. home cart system AC specs (serial #013208):

Model # NEO-O

Input: 120V ~60Hz 22W
Output: DC5V 3A

And here are the specs of a Japanese Neo AC adapter that I bought off eBay:

Model # NEO-POW3
Input: AC100V 50-60Hz 19VA
Output: DC 10V 1000mA

I don't have a Jap cart system, just this spare AC adapter. Hope this helps!

Will you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sell me your extra Ac adapter?

Thanks
Tim@videogameland.com

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
dreamH2o, I saw your wanted post in the wanted section, but you said you're looking for the U.S. AC adapter, 120V input 5V output. My jap AC adapter is 100V input 10V output. They aren't compatible, and you're likely to damage a U.S. system using a jap adapter.

Anyway, for the time being I'm holding onto the jap AC adapter in case I ever get a jap Neo cart system.
frown.gif

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
DreamH2o,

I found a replacement 5V 3A power supply to use on the Neo. There are two things wrong with the supply, both end plug related, but are easily corrected to make a perfect adapter.

They are $19.95 (from www.jameco.com). The female plug on the end is too big (still works though), but it's also the wrong polarity. Switching the polarity is very simple, and since you need to cut the plug off to do so, you might as well grab the right size plug from Radio Shack, which is what I did. Works perfect.

I can give you more details if you like.

Jameco has some other 5V units with less amps which are a lot cheaper. I never tried any of them to see what you could use. I just stuck with the 3A version since that's what the Neo supply states.

Of course, for the 9V systems, just use the old style Sega Genesis supply.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JMKurtz (edited November 06, 2000).]

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i just recently found out that the megadrive ac adapter also works for the neo cart sys
just make sure it doesn't mess your power supply up

Dreamh2o

Sub-human sack of shit.
Yeah, I ordered a Neo Geo from the Netherlands, and just wantted it for the carts, sold it on the boards here for $270, the seller neglected to state that it had a megadrive adapter with it, not a neo. Now my customer is waiting for me to get him a cord. Its been a pain in the butt to find one. My cord (USA 5v) works on it fine... so if I send my cord out, Im going to need a plug BAD(or no neo for me).