Taito Announces Arcade Download System

Reality Check

World Hero
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/09/taito_download_system/

Arcades are going digital thanks to Taito. At the 48th Amusement Machine Show in Chiba today, Taito announced "NESiCAxLive," a digital distribution system for arcades.

Current arcade distribution models are somewhat like package game models, as arcade operators must purchase physical copies of a game. With the NESiCAxLive system, games will be stored on Taito's servers in a data center. Arcade operators download the games via the internet directly to the arcade cabinets/boards.

The advantages of this system are similar to download models on game consoles. In addition to less cost, operators will have access to a backlog of titles, which they can provide to users based off demand. Taito says that in the future, it wants to make this into a system where players themselves will be able to select the content they want to play.

An conceptual image of the system's use shared today by Taito suggested that arcade operators will be able to store copies of games on a local server for quicker distribution to cabinets.

Taito will not be the only maker supporting this system. The company said that nine companies, including SNK Playmore and Cave, are also on board. The first title for the system will be Arc System Works' new BlazBlue Continuum Shift II, which is scheduled to be formally announced at the AM Show today.

2132425058_view.jpg

Little too late if you ask me.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, let me know when Taito starts a 'download a building to put the downloaded arcade into' system.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
sounds interesting, not sure how well it will work but its about time we see someone trying something different in the arcade industry.

kingbuzzo

Zero's Secretary
At first I like the idea of the player being able to choose from a few games. But then I wonder about things like button configs and layouts.

However, I'm sure anyone who really wants to play any of these games has probably found a way by now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
How is this different from MAME? Do you use actual cabinets configured for each separate game, or some of those frankenstein cabs with 10 different control panels?

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
This looks to set a footprint for gamerIDs and alternative payment methods (credit cards, rechargeable accounts, game cards, etc). Perhaps Taito is setting up a back end for these types of payment methods and will take a small percentage as the intermediary. You can turn an industry around with a little change of the delivery system.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Because the used market is eliminated, Taito will have to share part of the cost savings with operators. But I wonder if something gets passed on to the customers (ie. cheaper credits).

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Way to Netboot, NAOMI style.

This could actually be kind of cool - if you could lease games privately, you could pick up a New Net City and a Taito client, then privately lease KoF XII until everyone hates you for picking Kyo all the time.... then just nab BlazBlue and DDDDDDDD a Nu (like anew, y'know?.....)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Way to Netboot, NAOMI style.

This could actually be kind of cool - if you could lease games privately, you could pick up a New Net City and a Taito client, then privately lease KoF XII until everyone hates you for picking Kyo all the time.... then just nab BlazBlue and DDDDDDDD a Nu (like anew, y'know?.....)

shut the fuck up.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I'm cut so deeply and painfully that I simply don't have the words to counter that strikingly profound point with.

Digital delivery of an arcade title directly into your home would be great. Maybe they will investigate the model after all the pain the industry is in - who knows? It could at least save some of the market.

Realistically, I think they'd be demanding a ton of cash to lease a game regardless of who it was being leased to. They probably wouldn't even allow private leasing and consumers might avoid it, anyway. At least when you buy a PCB (or cart, or DVD, etc, etc physical media) you can play it today or 20 years later - without having to hope someone came out with a decent work around -or- discovering the title isn't available at all and is lost forever in digital limbo.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
I believe this is Taito's solution to counter against piracy, seeing as how the X2 was recently cracked. They've also introduced their newer platform as well.

It makes sense, but I bet a few companies won't jump on board, like Capcom. A thing to note here is that all of the listed developers have already released material on a Taito platform previously.

Reality Check

World Hero
Capcom not being on board doesn't surprise me. Capcom puts their focus on the console market.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Are you guys speculating about Capcom not jumping on board, or is there something out there that actually suggests that?

Developing games for the 360 and Arcade market is nearly streamlined now. There is little to no additional development cost for Capcom to develop for the 360 and X2 - I bet it costs them a ton to get PS3 development taken care of, though.

On a side note, what is the name of the platform that TvC runs on? I've heard people call it Dolphin, but I don't think that's it....

Reality Check

World Hero
Speculating. If Capcom is in surely they would have been named alongside SNK, Cave and Arc Systems.

Capcom develops games using their own engines like MT Framework which are designed make mutliplatform development easier. Why many of their games have no differences between the 360 and PS3 versions.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Right - Capcom's prop framework then sits on MS's frameworks for both the Taito X2 and the 360.... but not the PS3. There's a whole other development required to refactor Capcom's prop framework for PS3. Obviously, it's much smaller than if they had to rework the entire game for each platform, but it's still a consideration.

That's what I was getting at - even with a multiplatform framework of their own, they still have individual development and testing between Taito+360 and PS3.

More importantly, which I already mentioned this before some nitwit thought it would be nice to post pointlessly - what happens to the games now? Can we lease them? What will their lifespan be?

I'd be more interested in that - a lot of great material will never be retriavable again if they move to 100% digital distribution. :(

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
Considering that Capcom are asking arcade operators for something like 1,930,000¥ for the SSF4 kit, I really doubt they're even remotely happy about Taito's new platform. And this comes after this news, so it makes Capcom look really bad.

Capcom are screwing over arcade ops and catering to consoles before arcades.. I really doubt many will even bother with the kit, probably Hey! and Club Sega at most, you know, only those places that know that they can turn a profit.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Sounds like a hacker's dream. Although most of the arcade machines running in Asia are probably already hacks or bootlegs, so I don't see any harm.