KOF: Sky Stage XBLA Release Date Info

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I was kinda hoping it was gonna end up being "NEOGEO Heroes" since it was taking so long for this to come out on XBLA.

Zoel

New Challenger
So hows is this game anyway? Is it actually a decent shmup?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So, I DLed this off of XBLA this morning. 800 MS points.

Played through a couple stages w/Terry. Initially selectable characters are:

Kyo
Iori
Athena
Kula
Terry
Mai

Didn't fare very well, but that's cool because I'm not a bullet hell shooter ace or anything.

Early thoughts and observations:

Game's US translation is very well done. The text reads a lot better than I expected it to. There is almost no 'engrish' present and the interfaces and character dialogues read well enough for material of this type. It's not Shakespere, but it seems to have 'come over' from Japan pretty well in this respect.

Many character voices are in English, so your mileage may vary there. I found the dub voices distracting, but that's mostly because I've spent so many years hearing those characters yelling at each other in Japanese. Terry Bogard retains his original voice, however. All of his sound bites are all Satoshi Hashimoto. That's a good thing. As silly as the inflection sounds to my American ears in this day and age, that is how Terry has always sounded to me and that's how I prefer it. There is no Japanese voice language option.

As far as gameplay goes, the screen fills with bullets I'm not good enough to avoid, I use my bombs way too early, kill what I can and continue frequently.

On default setting, you start with a health bar capable of sustaining three hits and you have three area clearing bombs to help you get out of corners and so forth.

You have three levels of 'super meter' and the longer you hold down the super meter button, the more powerful of a move the character does-each level of super meter is a different attack. The meter replenishes itself as you kill waves of enemies and gather their drops. You get combo bonuses for killing successive waves before taking hits and you get proximity bonuses for how close you are when you shoot them. Like Metal Slug, these are tallied at the end of the stage, and if you have to continue at the boss, you lose the bonuses when the stage ends.

Boss fights are against various KOF characters. The characters are consistent with their personas for the most part, and their special attacks are bullet hell shooter versions of the moves they might do in the fighting games. So far in the game, the bosses I fought are Athena (who is the first stage boss and a selectable character), Kusanagi (Yata mirror replica), Orochi Iori (because I died at Kusanagi so when I continued and got back to the boss area, I fought O. Iori instead), Rugal and Goenitz.

The characters all have different super meter moves with different properties, and their standard shooting attack is also unique to the character. The moves are, of course, all bullet hell 'variations' on their fighting game moves.

Holding down the A button allows for turbo fire.

There is a small period of invincibility after being hit.

I don't understand how hit collision works in this game. There were times when I thought I'd get hit and the bullets seemed to pass through me, and other times when I thought I'd dodged and took a hit. Because I am terrible at bullet hell games, I didn't know if this was happening due to some lack of understanding I possess about the genre or if it's just bad game design.

The game's soundtrack are arranged versions of many familiar KOF themes, so I was pleased about that.

The backgrounds are all pretty generic stages as far as this kind of game goes. If there is any KOF significance to them, I couldn't tell because I was too busy dodging for my life.

Screen can be adjusted so the game can be played vercially, horizontally left to right, horizontally right to left or 'upside down'. Score, health, remaining bombs and all other game data can be placed either on the playing field, as with classic shooters, or can be moved to the sides of the screen in the 'marquee' area.

Controls were responsive.

Overall, I'd say the game is worth picking up if you are a hardcore fan of SNK IPs and want to see the interpretation of characters and concepts as done by way of shooter.

I can't say how good of a game it is relative to the genre. I am not a bullet hell guy. I just wanted to try this out because I love the IPs so much and had the space bucks to spare.

There is a demo available if you want to give it a try first.

Um, that's about it.

snkfever

Cheng's Errand Boy
seriously wtf kyo speaking english :S

SNK should have saved the money of hiring english voiceactors.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
As ever, thx for the impressions. I'm away from my 360 for abit longer- is there online co-op?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm not sure if there's co-op play or not, to be honest. I didn't check that part of it and haven't had a chance to go back and check on it yet. If nobody posts it before I look into it, I'll give you the heads up.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I'll DL the Demo and try it. I don't have very high expectations, though.

vgg

Quiz Detective
tried it today.
Game is BAAAADD

not taking into account that the game is ridiculous as a fighting game using monster trucks

run of the mill, me-too, cash on brand type game. only 1/3rd of the screen is used, with the huds in that portion as well, if it was 240 points I would understand, but full price must = full screen

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner
As ever, thx for the impressions. I'm away from my 360 for abit longer- is there online co-op?

There is co-op via xbox live as well as a versus mode which sounds somewhat interesting. Not sure if there is local co-op play though. I'll have to check that tonight. As far as shmups go, it's not near the top, but it's pretty fun to play regardless.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
run of the mill, me-too, cash on brand type game. only 1/3rd of the screen is used, with the huds in that portion as well, if it was 240 points I would understand, but full price must = full screen
The game's a vertical arcade shooter. You're gonna need to use the right proportioned/flipped screen. I would hate for them to alter the format for the home release.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I bought it since I had some spare MS points....

Meh, is all I can say. Played through it, has some KOF warm-and-fuzzies, but I think it lacks in shooter substance. I'm not a die hard shooter guy, but I'm just not very impressed.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I played this game once in the arcade before, but now that I have it at home, I can say it's pretty good. Actually, for the price, I'm in love. I haven't really been playing much of anything since I put down Deathsmiles 2, so it felt good to have a nice meat'n potatoes shooter to sink my teeth into again.

What is it you guys aren't liking about it? Face it, nothing is ever going to live up to your unrealistic expectations based on an imagined SNK ideal. Get over yourselves, and give a new game here or there credit where it is due. Obviously this isn't groundbreaking, and it doesn't compete with the latest Cave fare, but as a budget shooter this isn't bad.

Having the special move button in addition to the standard bomb button is a bit of an interesting dynamic. It is annoying sometimes to charge it in the heat of play though, and I often end up getting hit when I'm distracted by charging. It's also bizarre that the bomb doesn't quite hurt everything on the screen.

The game is HARD. I'm ranked 270 right now in all characters. I had the best luck playing Iori. His normal shot is a good compromise between power and coverage. I like that his powered up move continues to burn after it's deployed and you can move almost immediately after letting it rip. On the other hand, Kula's powered up move caused me huge problems because you can't move immediately afterward. Looks like Terry's powerful standard shot is geared for pro players. I normally play characters like him, but I'm not ready yet. Mai's shot goes everywhere unless you're not moving, rendering it almost useless. I'd say stay away from Mai until you get more comfortable with the game.

seriously wtf kyo speaking english :S

SNK should have saved the money of hiring english voiceactors.
Set the 360's system language to Japanese.

I don't understand how hit collision works in this game. There were times when I thought I'd get hit and the bullets seemed to pass through me, and other times when I thought I'd dodged and took a hit. Because I am terrible at bullet hell games, I didn't know if this was happening due to some lack of understanding I possess about the genre or if it's just bad game design.
The flashing dot in the middle of the character is the hit box.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
What is it you guys aren't liking about it? Face it, nothing is ever going to live up to your unrealistic expectations based on an imagined SNK ideal. Get over yourselves, and give a new game here or there credit where it is due. Obviously this isn't groundbreaking, and it doesn't compete with the latest Cave fare, but as a budget shooter this isn't bad.

I concur. I don't think this is worthy of spite as far as the actual game goes. There's nothing about this game where I'm saying 'this is a godawful game and completely sucks ballz' or anything like that. It's not my genre, and a shmup fan might be able to give a great endorsement or criticism of it, but as an outsider looking in, I find no fault with it.

Having the special move button in addition to the standard bomb button is a bit of an interesting dynamic. It is annoying sometimes to charge it in the heat of play though, and I often end up getting hit when I'm distracted by charging. It's also bizarre that the bomb doesn't quite hurt everything on the screen.

I actually kind of like that the bomb doesn't blow up everything on the screen. It's a way out the hole you've dug for yourself, but not a full screen reset. It's a different type of shooter mechanic that seems to be more of a reminder that you need to play smarter rather than a free pass.

The flashing dot in the middle of the character is the hit box.

Thank you for the tip. That will help me immensely, I'm sure:)

drunkninja

n00b

Don't tell this guy how much some of us paid for import Cave games on 360.

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
So it's a real mixed bag of opinions in here. I somehow missed the news and just saw it pop up on the new release section of xbla, I'm downloading the demo now. How intense are the later levels of play? I'm a bit out of the shooter scene, the last titles I spent much time with were mars matrix and the RFJ collection that hit the 360. Is it worth it as a title unassociated with kof?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
developed by MOSS. (!) i love Raiden IV...i will be getting this tomorrow, as soon as i scoop some MS pts. can't wait to try this...hopefully i'll get a chance to play when the kids are napping.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
I dont get why people are ragging on this game. Its actually very good and pretty damn deep for what some of you are calling a "me-too" cash grab. Here are a couple of tips for those who would like to know.

1. The center of your character, the glowing dot....thats your hitbox. That should make it easier to dodge the bullet hell moments.

2. Super bar management is very crucial in this game. Almost all of the characters level 1 "super" is used to destroys or goes thru bullets shot at you and usually gives you a gold emblem when it kills an enemy (for those shooter purists trying to play the game to its fullest potential). This will keep you from using your bombs in tight moments. I think Athena and Kula are the only characters whose level 1 is different. Athena teleports and Kula drops a snowman on the nearest enemy that break apart into smaller snowmen. Level 2 is when things get interesting and character differences really start to show. Kyo throws a fireball that explodes on impact, Iori gets a "speed up" that increases his shot rate and he moves faster for a short period of time (look for the little bar above his super bar), Terry lays down a ground wave that he can then touch to send in any direction, Kula does her normal throw that freezes the enemy in place, Athena lays down 3 reflectors around her that bounces all her bullets around in a pattern, and Mai does the Super Deadly Ninja Bees super where she bounces around the screen on fire. Level 3 is as close to a bomb as you can get without using one.

3. Know your shot pattern, its very important. The 6 unique shot patterns all have differing levels of power and screen spread.

4. Pressing start on selection changes your characters color.

This game is truly all about experimentation. Find a character that best suits your tastes and abilities. It really gets interesting when you play either local or online co-op and start mixing characters up. Using your specials to protect your partner or doing dual supers.

I think more people need to give this game a chance before dismissing it. Its not perfect, but its well worth the 800 points.

O.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
it says Xbox Live in the menu (played the demo), that truly means it has online play? (most shmups are single player or local co-op online, so despite seeing "XBox Live" option and the description, I have this paranoid delusion that I must be seeing things. Scott Pilgrim should of supported online play besides local play like this does!

How many are online playing it currently?

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
it does have online co op. i had a huge session with a stranger yesterday and it was 100% lag free.
Still need to try versus mode.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
it does have online co op. i had a huge session with a stranger yesterday and it was 100% lag free.
Still need to try versus mode.

oh yes I just had two lag free sessions online! it's GREAT! But yes it needs someway for players to find people that play this regularly.

The only thing that makes me miffed is only 5 stages. Yes shmups are known to be short due to their arcade nature. But an extra 5 stages wouldn't hurt.
If KOF Stage put as much effort to it's selection of stages as the KOF games do with the depth and complexity of its numerous characters, the result could have been a much bigger, more epic and better shmup. :D
It already has like 10-11 bosses, all they needed to do was complete at least 5-6 more stages and they would have a more meaty shmup experience!

but yes oh well, what's there is already very fun and in a way it reminds me of
playing Psycho Soldier (even though Psycho Soldier was very different and more of a side scrolling platformer/shooter.) Athena and her phoenix in KOF SkyStage just brought back those memories of Psycho Soldier. :)
SNKP really should create a Psycho Soldier 2 that looks as good as KOF Skystage.

This is a really fun game. Even though it's technically not the hardest or most complex of the bullet hell shooters, it's still far better than a lot of shmups out there, and the online co-op doubles the fun! :)

The game is surprisingly lag free and I have been playing with Japanese players. This game really should of had online achievements to convince players to play it online. It's shocking the game just released and online is empty almost all the time. But if you look at the leaderboards, there are over 800 registered players so far.

Even Smash TV had a healthy following first week of release. hmmm.

oh I found this tip someone posted to fight Omega Rugal the easy way:

"Start a new game on Practice and choose Stage 1-5 as your starting stage. Collect the invitation envelope and then complete the stage without dying. After you defeat Orochi, you'll get a message saying you've collected all 5 invitations and the game will put you on a second loop (Stage 2-1). After you go through all 5 stages again (this time at a higher difficulty level), you'll fight Omega Rugal after you defeat Orochi. You can continue as much as you want through the second loop."

To fight Kula, you have to complete 1-1 to 1-3 without continuing.

Last edited: