ROM CRC Check

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
Is the crc check in the unibios a surefire way to spot a boot? The reason i ask is i have recently acquired a cart that the check verifies all rom banks, except for the very first one, as NG. :conf:

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Nope, a boot uses the same roms as a stock cart, open it up and you'll see straight away if it is.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
Nope, a boot uses the same roms as a stock cart, open it up and you'll see straight away if it is.

Well, i have no other reason to believe it is a boot other than this. The cart is originally from CoinExpress and has serials, etc.

What is the purpose of the CRC check then?

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
I think it checks for some known boots too, but the main purpose is to check if the roms are good or damaged somehow, afaik.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
I think it checks for some known boots too, but the main purpose is to check if the roms are good or damaged somehow, afaik.

hmm...well i just got done playing said game for over an hour with no problems at all(if this even has anything to do with bad/damaged roms). Could the fact that i am playing it through a SMVSII be an issue?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
what is the error information and game.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
what is the error information and game.

Samurai Shodown V Special

dscn0499h.jpg

dscn0497c.jpg

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
something is going wrong there if you are getting different results each time.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
something is going wrong there if you are getting different results each time.

I will be back home @ noon. Let me try the test a few times and see if i get different results.

It isn't different results, it's just the continuation of info in the 2nd pic. 1st pic is Region and 0-1 Bank and 2nd pic is 2-6 Bank.

If it's a legit cart could it be possible that it's a slightly different version of the game? You sure it's a legit cart dude?

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
It isn't different results, it's just the continuation of info in the 2nd pic. 1st pic is Region and 0-1 Bank and 2nd pic is 2-6 Bank.

If it's a legit cart could it be possible that it's a slightly different version of the game? You sure it's a legit cart dude?

As per my address earlier, i ran the check again and produced the same results numerous times.

Thanks for clearing that up, Xian Xi. I wasn't sure what he meant but i figured i shouldn't counter thy bios's creator :lolz:

I am almost certain it is legit. I bought it from a legit seller with good feedback and the cart+label match the few stock photos i found from across the net. I am weary of opening the case and potentially messing up the label but upon looking through the vents, i do not see any windowed chips and i do see the SNK PLAYMORE logo. If there is some way to open the case otherwise, please let me know.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can open it and just open it to a 45 degree angle, the label will be fine.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
You can open it and just open it to a 45 degree angle, the label will be fine.

The problem with even that is there is a CoinOPExpress Serial # sticker across its side. This and a (presumed) SNK serial # on it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Whenever there is a sticker other than SNK it seems fishy since they don't want you opening the cart. But if there is a silver SNK sticker with serial then it should be fine.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
Whenever there is a sticker other than SNK it seems fishy since they don't want you opening the cart. But if there is a silver SNK sticker with serial then it should be fine.

eh...hold on. ill get a pic of all around.

EDIT: PM'ing you pics in a min, Xian Xi.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
by bad, I did not see the screens properly. Its possible the game is good but that said I would have though the ROM region would be different too given the banks are changed. Is this a MVS or AES cart btw?

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
End result: LEGIT

Razoola: It's MVS running through a SMVSII. Xian Xi and I believe it may be a version that has yet to be dumped to the database?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
End result: LEGIT

Razoola: It's MVS running through a SMVSII. Xian Xi and I believe it may be a version that has yet to be dumped to the database?

its very possible.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
Is there anything i can do to help add it to any possible future database?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It would need both P ROMs dumping so I can confirm its good.