Where to get a monitor discharge tool?

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
They are easy enough to make. A medium gauge insulated hook up wire with a croc clip either end.

Attatch the ground end to the earthing strap on the tube aquadaq, thats the braided wire with spring(s)that goes around the back of the tube to the tubes metal frame. Do not attach to the metal chassis of the monitor.

The other end clipped to the shaft of a fairly long shafted flat screw driver with a well insulated handle. Gently slide the screwdriver under the anode cap and wait for the crack.

Where to buy one, Radio Spares maybe, there isnt much call as most guys in the industry make thier own.

Before you do anything its important to read this, click on monitors.

<a href="http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm" target="_blank">http://www.arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm</a>

also some good links here.

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: ttooddddyy ]</p>

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Use a good (Rubber) handle screw driver and have rubber soled shoes on.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Build it yourself: here's a step-by-step guide by Bob Roberts:

<a href="http://www.dameon.net/BBBB/sb.html" target="_blank">http://www.dameon.net/BBBB/sb.html</a>

Originally posted by ttooddddyy:
<strong>Attatch the ground end to the earthing strap on the tube aquadaq, thats the braided wire with spring(s)that goes around the back of the tube to the tubes metal frame. Do not attach to the metal chassis of the monitor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why not?? I quote from Bob Roberts' article:

"Just put the clamp anywhere on the metal framework as it is all tied to ground once a CRT is mounted. The grounding dag that goes across the belly of the CRT actually ties to the framework."

The only time I discharged a monitor I did it like that and everything went just well...

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: MKL ]</p>

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Its not good practice to use the chassis as ground for this.

"The grounding dag that goes across the belly of the CRT actually ties to the framework"

True, but what if the dag ground wire comes adrift. Discharging to the aquadag directly is a failsafe way to discharge.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Go to Homedepot and buy a insulated screwdriver. My srewdriver is also magnetic. I use that tool the most at my job. I change out tubes all the time and I have never got blasted once. I learned from other co-workers mistakes. The srewdriver only cost $6.. I think??? :)

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Dinodoedoe ]</p>

Shiftyfink

Geese's Thug
Yep make sure your Ground is good. I had a Screwdriver fly out of my hand once and my arm hurt for a day......

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Ive been bitten a few times, the worst is carrying a tube that still has some charge, it seems to build up again even after initial discharge ( dont understand how this happens in theory) anyway the worst time is carrying a tube and getting a hit to the chest or arm, the natural reaction is to drop it. They can go off like grenades :eek:

and ttooddddyy, its a 40,000V charge - just 12V is enough to give you a surprise! So yeah, if its not fully discharged its gonna hurt!

its not recharging per se, but yer talking about a huge capacitor here

Dan Elektro

Morden's Lackey
20 Year Member
I have seen the Bob Roberts method work very well, but it's still scary.

Fredscape

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I`ve been wanting to take my cab apart so I can take it upstairs where it should be but I`m just to afraid to discharge it....however with the links you guys posted I`m starting to think about it again.

Maybe even I can do it :)

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by eggplant_casserole:
<strong>why the hell are you using a magnetic screwdriver on a crt????????

making extra work for yerself - now go degauss!</strong><hr></blockquote>

A using an insulated magnetic screwdriver to discharge a monitor would hardly mess up the image unless you left it on for hours. Monitors naturally degauss themselves over time. Some have degaussing coils built into the assembly.